Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals Pass Rush Players STINK
The Atkins / Dunlap era is Dead. We need new players.

Yesterday in Ohio State game, Urban Meyer said Pass Defense is 80% Pass Rush. When Championship Urban Meyer talks football, people should listen as when Sparky Anderson talked baseball.

The Bengals had no Pass Rush against Rivers or Mayfield and therefore per Meyer, NO PASS DEFENSE. Today was awful the way the D let Browns score easy in 4th quarter, Burrow brought Bengals back ahead, and D let Browns score easy again.

Many on here want new coaches. I blame the players left over from Marvin. It is time to admit Atkins and Dunlap best years are over. So DRAFT THE BEST PASS RUSHING MONSTER IN THE 2021 DRAFT. Try to get a Mean Joe Green or a Bruce Smith type.

To those who say O Line, I can see that, but we have the Left Tackle. I think we can get O Line help after Round 1. The Bengals Pass Rush is awful and will be awful no matter who the coaches are. We need to draft some Monsters to Pass Rush.

Bengals should have a high pick, and able to get a Monster on the D Line to Pass Rush. After the last few games, this should not even be up for debate. We have NO DEFENSE because we have NO PASS RUSH. The Marvin Atkins / Dunlap era is Dead, time to bring in new Monsters to Pass Rush.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 06:26 PM)kevin Wrote: The Atkins / Dunlap era is Dead.  We need new players.

Yesterday in Ohio State game, Urban Meyer said Pass Defense is 80% Pass Rush.   When Championship Urban Meyer talks football, people should listen as when Sparky Anderson talked baseball.  

The Bengals had no Pass Rush against Rivers or Mayfield and therefore per Meyer, NO PASS DEFENSE.  Today was awful the way the D let Browns score easy in 4th quarter, Burrow brought Bengals back ahead, and D let Browns score easy again.

Many on here want new coaches.  I blame the players left over from Marvin.  It is time to admit Atkins and Dunlap best years are over.  So DRAFT THE BEST PASS RUSHING MONSTER IN THE 2021 DRAFT.   Try to get a Mean Joe Green or a Bruce Smith type.  

To those who say O Line,  I can see that, but we have the Left Tackle.  I think we can get O Line help after Round 1.   The Bengals Pass Rush is awful and will be awful no matter who the coaches are.  We need to draft some Monsters to Pass Rush.

Bengals should have a high pick, and able to get a Monster on the D Line to Pass Rush.  After the last few games, this should not even be up for debate.  We have NO DEFENSE because we have NO PASS RUSH.  The Marvin Atkins / Dunlap era is Dead, time to bring in new Monsters to Pass Rush.

But the guys who have been put in their places aren't succeeding either.  So it goes back to coaching and play calling.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Its been like this for quite sometime....they never have put a premium on edge rushers or gamewrecker types on D and its painful to keep seeing it play out week after week.
Reply/Quote
I do not disagree about getting better pass rushing D-linemen but even with a weak pass rushing D-line you should still be able to get pressure with the blitz.
Reply/Quote
The problem was the Browns were throwing on early downs and not waiting until third down to attack the Bengals in the air. Lou needs to do a better job at playing our coverage guys and pass rushers on earlier situations.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 06:30 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: But the guys who have been put in their places aren't succeeding either.  So it goes back to coaching and play calling.

The issue is that those 2 guys, making a combined 25m, aren't outperforming backups or practice squad guys. 
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 06:39 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: The issue is that those 2 guys, making a combined 25m, aren't outperforming backups or practice squad guys. 

If not one guy is succeeding in the pass rush, it tells me that there is more to it.

Under Lewis and Zimmer we could bring in a roll playing pass rusher off the street and get success with them.

Now, not one player is capable of getting home?

I'm not saying Father Time doesn't have anything to do with Dunlaps lack of production, but no one else is succeeding either.

Again, it is the coaching.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 06:30 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: But the guys who have been put in their places aren't succeeding either.  So it goes back to coaching and play calling.

No Sir.  We have not drafted round 1 at D Line or LB in a long, long time.  I bet if we look it up, round 2 hasn't been much front 7 help either in a long time.  So the replacements are lower round and play as such.   It is time to add The D Front 7 to THE REBUILD NEW DEY....New coaches alone are not the answer, we need new players up front on D.  The players we have get no pressure on QB, as in Never.  They just aren't good enough for the NFL.   

A good rebuild start would be draft a monster that teams have to double team block.  A difference maker, game changer #1 Pick Pass Rusher.  Just as we moved on from others accepting the window of opportunity has closed on the 2011 team on, it is time to accept the window has closed on Atkins and Dunlap era , and reload with Top pass rush picks. The Key words being TOP PICKS.

Of course we could use a 2nd round blocker. Sure would be nice to make a move to get a couple of 2nd Round picks so we could go more D Front 7 and also O Line, after getting a monster D pass rusher in #1.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I’ve never seen a team with as little pass rush as the Bengals. It defies all probability.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 06:43 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: If not one guy is succeeding in the pass rush, it tells me that there is more to it.

Under Lewis and Zimmer we could bring in a roll playing pass rusher off the street and get success with them.

Now, not one player is capable of getting home?

I'm not saying Father Time doesn't have anything to do with Dunlaps lack of production, but no one else is succeeding either.

Again, it is the coaching.

I’m not disagreeing that the coaching isn’t questionable at best. However when the opposing QB says hut the players on the field are flat out getting blocked out of the play there’s responsibility on the players as well.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 09:52 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I’m not disagreeing that the coaching isn’t questionable at best. However when the opposing QB says hut the players on the field are flat out getting blocked out of the play there’s responsibility on the players as well.

So some of us agree we don't have the D 7 Players needed.   I mentioned we need a monster Top Pick.  I also mentioned we could use a couple pick 2's to go O Line and more D Front 7.   I just looked at CBS Draft Prospects and in the Top 10, I only see the Penn State LB, and there are LB's in the draft beside him from Alabama and such.   Now Bengals may have a Top 10 pick.  They may even have the #1 pick, but they don't need the QB.   I think Bengals are going to be in a very good trade pick position if they are in Top 10 or Top 5 or even #1.   Moving down in 1 and getting an extra 2 and maybe more. 

The Bengals are now 1-5-1,  but playing teams close other than at Baltimore.  We are set at Quarterback, but this will be a Quarterbacks early draft.  We trade down and let a team get that QB,  but they give up good picks to get him, and we get much needed pass rush and D help, plus a top Blocker.  I didn't want 1-5-1, but it is there.   We will get a good draft pick that can set up trading down in 1 and still getting one of the best pass rushers, plus extra picks for the needed D and Blocking help.   The games sure show we need Defense and Blocking help. 

We first accept the pass rush stinks, and so does the blocking.  We got the QB, but the trench players are too weak.  We will get a Top Pick for another finesse player, but we should trade it down for more top picks to fill out The Trenches in 2021.  Indy and Cleveland proved that, by our pass rush never getting near QB. I see CBS Draft shows Top pass rushers and O Line Blockers not in Top 10, but more than there to grab if we get extra picks, and I see no point drafting another 1st round QB. Other teams will be wanting to trade up Big Time,
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
You know it can be both players and scheme. Yes our DL is crap but also watch what we do - no twists, stunts or anything at all to help D linemen get pressure in. Blitzes are poorly disguised if at all. WAY too much use of Zone overly soft zone at that.

Zimmer got success with a 4 man front that generally had no big stars by using shifts and tricks and also playing a lot of press man coverage to slow the play down and give the pass rush some time to get home.
Reply/Quote

It really goes back to the offseason and Tobin.  You can only fill so many holes in one offseason.  Outside of Lawson, we don't have a  real threat to make a game changing play.  I like Hubbard and he's a keeper, but we need the guys who are electric off the edge.
Reply/Quote
We probably need a DE more than anything right now. The OL needs some attention obviously, but the O is starting to find their groove while the D is losing us games flat out. We definitely would look better with Reader and Hubbard in there right now, but we still need a legit pass rusher and another good DT. And a new DC on top of it.
Reply/Quote
We will be picking Top 5 most likely and the longer the season goes on the more obvious it is that we need an elite edge rusher more than OLine help. It sucks bc we need need guards, a RT, speed at WR, edge rushers, CB(even if WJ3 is extended) and could use upgrades at TE, SS, and probably LB. Next offseason is huge but it’ll probably take 2-3 years before we can fully build a good team with good depth bc injuries will always happen but idk if Duke is the guy to find the right talent.

Zac gained points in my book today bc the offense looked good but nobody is sold on him coming back yet. As far as Lou goes there’s no way they can bring him back and expect different results unless something drastic happens. I understand that the defense has a talent issue but his schemes and coverages are bad. Turner can go too but i blame most of his problems on lack of talent.
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 06:31 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Its been like this for quite sometime....they never have put a premium on edge rushers or gamewrecker types  on D and its painful to keep seeing it play out week after week.

I said the other day that I'd be looking at D-line in the first and with two of the first three picks.

They've drafted a linebacker in the first (Rivers, 2008) more recently than an edge and we know how little they've valued that position.

The last time they drafted a D-lineman* in the first was before Chad was a Bengal.

Since then the only D-lineman they've picked with one of their first two picks** was Dunlap. In that time they've drafted five running backs(!) within our first two picks and 9 O-linemen.

* Pollack was the last EDGE taken in the first (2005), but was drafted as a LB rather than D-line. Justin Smith was drafted in the first in 2001, Chad was the second round pick that year.
**Margus Hunt and Devon Still were both second rounders but taken with their 3rd pick of that draft
Reply/Quote
The pass rush has been a huge problem for a few years. Could be our biggest problem (even above Oline), for the past 5 seasons or so. It’s weird because on paper, these players should ball out.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
We haven't fixed our Oline, and now our Dline is collapsing. Good times.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 06:26 PM)kevin Wrote: The Atkins / Dunlap era is Dead.  We need new players.

Yesterday in Ohio State game, Urban Meyer said Pass Defense is 80% Pass Rush.   When Championship Urban Meyer talks football, people should listen as when Sparky Anderson talked baseball.  

The Bengals had no Pass Rush against Rivers or Mayfield and therefore per Meyer, NO PASS DEFENSE.  Today was awful the way the D let Browns score easy in 4th quarter, Burrow brought Bengals back ahead, and D let Browns score easy again.

Many on here want new coaches.  I blame the players left over from Marvin.  It is time to admit Atkins and Dunlap best years are over.  So DRAFT THE BEST PASS RUSHING MONSTER IN THE 2021 DRAFT.   Try to get a Mean Joe Green or a Bruce Smith type.  

To those who say O Line,  I can see that, but we have the Left Tackle.  I think we can get O Line help after Round 1.   The Bengals Pass Rush is awful and will be awful no matter who the coaches are.  We need to draft some Monsters to Pass Rush.

Bengals should have a high pick, and able to get a Monster on the D Line to Pass Rush.  After the last few games, this should not even be up for debate.  We have NO DEFENSE because we have NO PASS RUSH.  The Marvin Atkins / Dunlap era is Dead, time to bring in new Monsters to Pass Rush.

My FA target is Thuney, but two of my first three picks are most likely DT and DE.  No doubts there.  The back end is being asked to do too much with zero pressure.  
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 06:39 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: The issue is that those 2 guys, making a combined 25m, aren't outperforming backups or practice squad guys. 

People will breeze over this because they are tired or hearing about Geno and Carlos, excuse me, Employee96.  

However, this is dead on.  

These are two premium players, the best we have had on defense over the last decade, that we have gotten absolutely zero production from.  I love them both for their past contributions, but they have been a major disappointment this season.  

If Dunlap was playing like he was the last 8 games of the season last year, and Geno wasn't injured and started the season healthy and played like he did last year, this team would be 5-2.  Yes, I am putting that much on their "disappearance".  Think how things would have been for Reader, Hubbard, and Lawson if these two were playing up to their potential. 

I don't care what you say about the coaches and playcalling....these two have killed this season.  
Reply/Quote