Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Re-Sign....
(03-04-2016, 06:12 PM)Shady Wrote: You don't think they see things (or not) in training camp? Just because we don't see alot of guys during pre-season doesn't mean that return skills haven't been evaluated in practice situations. 

Training camp can be attended by anyone. 
In preseason games Alford got very few opportunities. 

He's a 7th round pick. He's the only real competition they have given Tate. 
And then it was never even up for debate really. 
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2016, 06:13 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Except that history has shown he's a lock for the roster and they won't bring in serious competition to unseat him. And even if they do, they won't actually give them a chance. How is that not hurting the team? 

(03-04-2016, 06:14 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Problem is he returns way to many kicks he has no business taking out of the endzone. Thus he does hurt the team by creating longer fields for the offense to drive.

The Bengals had the 4th best LOS starting position in the NFL last season. Whatever/however we are doing it is not hurting the team. Tate averages about 5 yards less per return than the elite NFL returners and is very sure handed with the ball. I get he doesn't run back a lot of TDs, but he doesn't hurt the team.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2016, 06:13 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Except that history has shown he's a lock for the roster and they won't bring in serious competition to unseat him. And even if they do, they won't actually give them a chance. How is that not hurting the team? 

You have a point.  Bringing in "serious competition" would have to mean that they would have to see our return game as a weakness. Looking at these stats, we clearly have room for improvement. 

Kick Off Returns
Total Yards - 8th
Avg 21st (22.6 compared to NFL leading 27.5)
attempts (24th)

Punt Returns
Total Yards (24th)
Avg (26th)
Tied for 2nd in fewest Fair Catches 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
We are never going to be rid of the guy. Guy's going to be 85 years old and still returning kicks for the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2016, 06:22 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The Bengals had the 4th best LOS starting position in the NFL last season. Whatever/however we are doing it is not hurting the team. Tate averages about 5 yards less per return than the elite NFL returners and is very sure handed with the ball. I get he doesn't run back a lot of TDs, but he doesn't hurt the team.

That probably doesn't have to do with the defense being very good and stopping a lot of drives on the other side of the 50 though....
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2016, 06:26 PM)Shady Wrote: You have a point.  Bringing in "serious competition" would have to mean that they would have to see our return game as a weakness. Looking at these stats, we clearly have room for improvement. 

Kick Off Returns
Total Yards - 8th
Avg 21st (22.6 compared to NFL leading 27.5)
attempts (24th)

Punt Returns
Total Yards (24th)
Avg (26th)
Tied for 2nd in fewest Fair Catches 

And they seem to have no interest in improving because Tate is "safe", they know him.

The bring him on a weak deal and can just brush it off with "Look at the money, it's nothing and he's not a lock to make the final 53..." except they've said basically the same thing since he's been here....five years ago
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2016, 06:00 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: you guys just need to get over yourselves and your hate of tate.

Its a good freaking signing so give it up its every year someone is crying and belly aching oh my god we resigned tate.

WithMJ and sanu hitting the market tate knows the system
and is probly on a deal that makes him easy to cut if someone better is acquired.

Its a smart signing to fill roster needs before the draft.  PR/KR and WR and ST gunner if need be...

if it was a 5 year deal id be upset but i bet my login here its not,.

I get your thinking, but we've been hurt at WR before (2014) and Tate still did nothing for us. He brings zilch as a WR, regardless of his knowledge of the system.

(03-04-2016, 06:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Brandon Tate is about our 6th receiving option and a reliable contributor on ST. His one year deal does not hinder anything we do in FA or draft.

Do I want someone better? Hell yeah! I want Percy Harvin. But regardless how much you hate Tate; he doesn't hurt the team.

Shouldn't we want someone that helps the team though? 

Also, Tate was our 4th WR, if you go off of targets and really look at the depth chart.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
This is what I don't get about the Bengals they will overpay for the end of the roster type guy but yet they refuse to pay for a top tier guy.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2016, 03:42 PM)Nately120 Wrote: So is Tate like the Mike Nugent of the return game?

They will be co-special teams coaches when they retire.

BTW... I'm not shocked by this signing in the least.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
As much as it sickens me to admit, this is not a bad signing at the present moment. I don't think another team would have picked him up but may as well keep him up to speed until we see how the WR thing is gonna go. Plus as has been mentioned he can fair catch like nobody's business....ugh!
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2016, 02:27 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: ...Brandon Tate. I have no idea what dirt he has on who, but somehow they still haven't had enough of his awfulness. One year deal.

https://twitter.com/Bengals/status/705805273470992385
https://twitter.com/AroundTheNFL/status/705805615285731328

Welcome to the start of Free Agency with the Bengals. You can't have any cap space or good players, but you can certainly have yourself a nice heaping serving of Tate.

this is what you get so upset about ?? signing Tate to a 1 year deal ??? give me a break.. a veteran backup that is will cost little to the overall cap...he will be in a fight for a roster but is insurance if we lose Sanu and Marvin, plus Adam Jones... this is a dead thread already
Reply/Quote
Some of you just don't get the reliability Tate brings to the table in the return game. It ain't sexy or flashy,but he seldom puts the ball on the ground. I just don't see why that seems so unimportant to so many. If the return guy fumbles a lot chances are it's going to happen on the wrong side of the field. Tate seldom fumbles the ball. That is the bottom line.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2016, 06:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Shouldn't we want someone that helps the team though? 

Also, Tate was our 4th WR, if you go off of targets and really look at the depth chart.

Of course you want somebody that helps the team and Tate does just that.

That's why I said receiving option, not WR. Eifert and Gio both are ahead of our 4th WR.

Hell, I'm like everybody else. I want Devin Hester in his prime returning our kicks. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2016, 02:27 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: ...Brandon Tate. I have no idea what dirt he has on who, but somehow they still haven't had enough of his awfulness. One year deal.

Welcome to the start of Free Agency with the Bengals. You can't have any cap space or good players, but you can certainly have yourself a nice heaping serving of Tate.
Why???? Tate sucks. If he doesn't fair catch, he runs backwards and loses yards. Now we have to see the same crap for another year.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2016, 10:06 PM)grampahol Wrote: Some of you just don't get the reliability Tate brings to the table in the return game.  It ain't sexy or flashy,but he seldom puts the ball on the ground. I just don't see why that seems so unimportant to so many.  If the return guy fumbles a lot chances are it's going to happen on the wrong side of the field. Tate seldom fumbles the ball. That is the bottom line.

Lol. 
That's pathetic. 
Reply/Quote
[Image: original.gif]

This is literally me when I saw "Bengals re-sign..." and the gif continues onto when I saw the name.
Reply/Quote
Oh.. my.. *****.. God.

All you can do is laugh, quit, root for another team or commit suicide.

Reply/Quote
[Image: tumblr_mqddm5LbSi1szspk7o1_500.gif]
Reply/Quote
Tate can't play football for shit, but obviously he gives great head.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote

well it does take a really good talented return man to catch it 9 yards deep and bring it out to the 6 yard line  Sarcasm
Thanks ExtraRadiohead for the great sig

[Image: SE-KY-Bengal-Sig.png]
Reply/Quote