Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Release Chris Carter
(12-16-2015, 01:46 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Why? They don't hold the edge either and offer nothing on special teams. 

They do hold the edge better, and Hunt just played more snaps on special teams Sunday than Carter did.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2015, 02:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: They do hold the edge better, and Hunt just played more snaps on special teams Sunday than Carter did.

And he wasn't good. 

Lol.
They do not hold the edge. At all. 
I do not know how you can say that with any sort of seriousness. 
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2015, 02:33 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: And he wasn't good. 

Lol.
They do not hold the edge. At all. 
I do not know how you can say that with any sort of seriousness. 

They hold it better than Carter.

Don't know how you can disagree with this.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2015, 02:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: They hold it better than Carter.

Don't know how you can disagree with this.

That's like saying dying from being shot in the head is better than dying from a long slow illness.
Either way you still die.

They all suck at setting the edge. This has been proven time and time again.
Clarke is probably the least terrible at it. Hunt and Carter about the same. 

Difference is, Carter is a + on ST the others are not and he has a valuable NFL trait that could potentially be used.
Hunt and Clarke do not. 
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2015, 02:46 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Difference is, Carter is a + on ST the others are not and he has a valuable NFL trait that could potentially be used.

What is this trait that is not being used?
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2015, 03:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What is this trait that is not being used?

Speed, ability to bend the edge. He displayed it in the pre-season and against the Rams, forcing some very errant throws including one that was picked off.

he's yet to put it all together but he has the ability. It's clearly there. 

Hunt and Clarke have size. That's it. They've shown virtually nothing else in terms of an NFL trait other than "looking the part" which is what we apparently value more at DE than anything else of late. 
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2015, 03:34 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Speed, ability to bend the edge. He displayed it in the pre-season and against the Rams, forcing some very errant throws including one that was picked off.

he's yet to put it all together but he has the ability. It's clearly there. 

Hunt and Clarke have size. That's it. They've shown virtually nothing else in terms of an NFL trait other than "looking the part" which is what we apparently value more at DE than anything else of late. 

Well Hunt ran a 4.6 40 at the combine at 280 pounds, so he has a lot more than just size. I think he has shown that speed too in the small number of chances he has had. 

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2015, 03:56 PM)BritishBengal Wrote: Well Hunt ran a 4.6 40 at the combine at 280 pounds, so he has a lot more than just size. I think he has shown that speed too in the small number of chances he has had. 

There's timed speed and there's functional speed.
On the field, Hunt does not play fast. He is still a relatively stiff athlete who can't bend. If you can't bend to turn a corner or disengage from a block, your speed is moot. 

Carter has shown the speed on the field. He's flashed the ability to bend a corner. 
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2015, 03:34 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Hunt and Clarke have size. That's it. They've shown virtually nothing else in terms of an NFL trait other than "looking the part" which is what we apparently value more at DE than anything else of late. 

Maybe we like the fact that both Hunt and Clarke have gotten sacks despite playing half as many career games as Carter who has zero.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2015, 04:03 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: There's timed speed and there's functional speed.
On the field, Hunt does not play fast. He is still a relatively stiff athlete who can't bend. If you can't bend to turn a corner or disengage from a block, your speed is moot. 

Carter has shown the speed on the field. He's flashed the ability to bend a corner. 

he bends the corner but doesnt get anywhere... he looks fast doing it though
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2015, 04:03 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: There's timed speed and there's functional speed.

We seem to be splitting hairs.. neither are getting many snaps, neither are considered vital to the team, neither you or me are the Coaches who have more in depth analysis of the team.. 

Not like we cut Shaw over Carter or Hunt... this is a minor discussion when you are debating Carter or Hunt.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Our issue is we have too man LDE's and no RDE's. We need a big time speed rusher to give good LT's hell, which Carter wasn't quite, but was the closes thing to it we had. All of our "pass rushers" seem best fit for the left side (of the defense).

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2015, 05:42 PM)jj22 Wrote: Our issue is we have too man LDE's and no RDE's. We need a big time speed rusher to give good LT's hell, which Carter wasn't quite, but was the closes thing to it we had. All of our "pass rushers" seem best fit for the left side (of the defense).

well he has been with the team for 13 games, what have we gotten out of him on the edge.. little to nothing.. so to me no big deal here
Reply/Quote
Not saying he was or wasn't (he'll likely be back anyway for the offseason), but saying what people wanted out of him is what we are and have been missing out of that RDE spot. It's just a dying breed I think. You certainly haven't got any big time pass rushers coming out in awhile. The ones that have come out are undersized for our scheme and turned into (and then struggle at) OLB.

Reply/Quote
well Coaches see more value in Hunt than Carter and lets be honest.. either will be lucky to have 7 to 10 snaps on any given Sunday. We are doing fine at the ends, Dunlap and MJ are still taking the majority of snaps when it counts.
Reply/Quote
They are doing OK at end (as pass rushers). Dunlap has had a career year and broke the double digit mark finally, but combined how many sacks do our 4 man end rotation have..... 16. And most of that is likely because we are lucky enough to have an all pro DT. Most teams don't have that and when we didn't.....well.....you remember what our season sack total was.

Reply/Quote
Well with that logic, you would have thought Carter would have broke through more.. maybe he has the preseason disease.. good when it don;t count.. you remember Moch.. had that disease
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2015, 01:39 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Carter really hasnt done much... and our young DE's DT's are in the situation our young CBs and young WRs have faced in the past...  Solid starters ahead of them make it hard to get reps.

I wasn't trying to make a point that Carter is amazing or great or anything, Xeno. Guy could turn out to be a bum for all I know. My point was I don't know why they feel the need to carry like 10 DL and keep 3 of them inactive on gameday.

Hunt is also *not* a young player. He's 28 for this season, and next year he'll be 29 and in his contract year and he still is struggling to even be active on gameday. That's not "solid starters ahead of them make it hard to get reps".. that's "2nd round bust".

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2015, 06:30 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I wasn't trying to make a point that Carter is amazing or great or anything, Xeno. Guy could turn out to be a bum for all I know. My point was I don't know why they feel the need to carry like 10 DL and keep 3 of them inactive on gameday.

Hunt is also *not* a young player. He's 28 for this season, and next year he'll be 29 and in his contract year and he still is struggling to even be active on gameday. That's not "solid starters ahead of them make it hard to get reps".. that's "2nd round bust".

well my young players was more for Will Clarke and Hardison
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2015, 07:07 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: well my young players was more for Will Clarke and Hardison

Fair enough.

Hunt just smells of 2nd round Ryan Whalen, except for even less productive. Just wasting a roster spot for someone who potentially could actually help the team. Like someone who can hold old washed up Heath Miller to less than 10 catches a game, or maybe return kicks.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote