Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Sign New Running Back
(04-16-2020, 11:10 PM)jj22 Wrote: 3 year deal seems quite the commitment for a virtual camp body.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/16/bengals-agree-to-terms-with-former-xfl-rb-jacques-patrick/
Incoming rookies sign three year deals all the time, even though most of them don't pan out in the NFL that long. Patrick didn't play in the NFL last year, which would've been his rookie year, so it's not unusual at all. I'm sure it's the minimum with zilch guaranteed. 
Reply/Quote
Nobody would give us anything for Gio. Least of all the Patriots, who already have a ton of mediocre RBs.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 11:50 PM)McC Wrote: I had mixed emotions about it.  I like Gio the dude a lot.  And I like Gio the player a lot too.  I love it when he's doing his thing.  But if you're not letting him do his thing AND you're paying him a lot AND you can get something for him AND you're up against the cap, you'd almost have to do it. 

If they did trade Gio, they would have to keep Mixon or draft a guy.

Same here. I don't see the point of investing so much commitment to a new guy when we've got Gio locked up for a couple more years and we're about to extend Mixon. On the other hand, and hear me out, other teams are going with 3 back rotations. Mixon, Gio, and Patrick are 3 very different back in terms of running styles. We could use all 3. It would certainly extend Mixon's career if he didn't have to carry the ball so much. Plus, this signed rules out taking a RB in the draft.

AND...I don't know about you but I haven'[t given up of Rodney Anderson or Trayveon Williams
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 11:19 PM)Mobster Wrote: They have Mixon and nobody else. How are they stockpiled?

How do we have “nobody else?” We have Gio, and we just drafted 2 RB’s last year

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 11:57 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: Same here. I don't see the point of investing so much commitment to a new guy when we've got Gio locked up for a couple more years and we're about to extend Mixon. On the other hand, and hear me out, other teams are going with 3 back rotations. Mixon, Gio, and Patrick are 3 very different back in terms of running styles. We could use all 3. It would certainly extend Mixon's career if he didn't have to carry the ball so much. Plus, this signed rules out taking a RB in the draft.

AND...I don't know about you but I haven'[t given up of Rodney Anderson or Trayveon Williams

I really like the tiny bit I saw of Anderson but I fear he is afflicted with Eifert Syndrome.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 11:50 PM)McC Wrote: I had mixed emotions about it.  I like Gio the dude a lot.  And I like Gio the player a lot too.  I love it when he's doing his thing.  But if you're not letting him do his thing AND you're paying him a lot AND you can get something for him AND you're up against the cap, you'd almost have to do it. 

If they did trade Gio, they would have to keep Mixon or draft a guy.

Love Gio too but he is overpaid and freeing up his and Dalton's salary would allow us the extend Mixon and maybe even AJ
or in a trade pay a good player to help us in our weaknesses.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 11:10 PM)jj22 Wrote: 3 year deal seems quite the commitment for a virtual camp body.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/16/bengals-agree-to-terms-with-former-xfl-rb-jacques-patrick/

It's basically the same deal that an undrafted rookie gets.

Patrick most likely is competing for a 3rd RB/ST spot. I wouldn't rule out us drafting a RB.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 11:33 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: I have to think Mixon pissed off some people with his threat of holding out. 

WhoDey2 Like I said in a different thread. I can understand Mixon wanting to be paid. However, Mixon has to understand that stomping your feet and threatening to hold out isn't wise when MB is the owner. MB will not be leveraged. MB will not have a player telling/forcing him to do something. Mixon just did the one thing he shouldn't have done if he wants to get paid... 
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 01:04 AM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2 Like I said in a different thread. I can understand Mixon wanting to be paid. However, Mixon has to understand that stomping your feet and threatening to hold out isn't wise when MB is the owner. MB will not be leveraged. MB will not have a player telling/forcing him to do something. Mixon just did the one thing he shouldn't have done if he wants to get paid... 

But is he though? has anyone actually read or heard Mixon actually say he will hold out?
Like I said on another thread, this story is more like a reporter looking at who is coming into their contract year with us, adding 2+2 and getting 47. Possibly because no one is really buying the "Burrow doesn't want to go to the Bengals" bollocks anymore so the media are looking for another "Bengals Bad" story
Personally with us signing Patrick and having Mixon, Anderson & Trayveon Williams, I would cut Gio with Dalton and give the money to Mixon
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 08:09 AM)JWW1971 Wrote: But is he though? has anyone actually read or heard Mixon actually say he will hold out?
Like I said on another thread, this story is more like a reporter looking at who is coming into their contract year with us, adding 2+2 and getting 47. Possibly because no one is really buying the "Burrow doesn't want to go to the Bengals" bollocks anymore so the media are looking for another "Bengals Bad" story
Personally with us signing Patrick and having Mixon, Anderson & Trayveon Williams, I would cut Gio with Dalton and give the money to Mixon

I think you are onto something my Scottish friend. Cool
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 01:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think you are onto something my Scottish friend. Cool

Thanks mate
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 08:54 PM)JSR18 Wrote: Mixon may be miffed because Gio is making more than him.

Hell, trade Gio for a 3rd or 4th rounder. Give Mixon Gio's money and use Ross as the constant motion back that I'm sure is in Zac's offense.

They just signed a 6'3"  231 lb RB who I'm sure can pick up a blitz...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

No one is giving us that much for a RB creeping up on 30 who only touched the ball 83 times last year, averaged 3.2 ypc and also has the 14th biggest cap hit among RB's. We'd be lucky to get a late pick.

That was my first thought. A 3 year deal for an undrafted guy who played a bit in the XFL?

Was there competition for his services?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 03:40 PM)JWW1971 Wrote: Thanks mate

You are welcome, I just hope we can trade Dalton and Gio rather than cutting them.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 03:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: No one is giving us that much for a RB creeping up on 30 who only touched the ball 83 times last year, averaged 3.2 ypc and also has the 14th biggest cap hit among RB's. We'd be lucky to get a late pick.

That was my first thought. A 3 year deal for an undrafted guy who played a bit in the XFL?

Was there competition for his services?

A late pick would be better than having to cut Gio to pay Mixon.

Better for everyone involved.

With Patrick, like Bengal Dude said it is basically the same deal an UDFA gets.
Reply/Quote
Random useless fact: His best friend, and former roommate at FSU, is Auden Tate...

Continue thread.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 04:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You are welcome, I just hope we can trade Dalton and Gio rather than cutting them.

Yes that would be the ideal scenario
Reply/Quote
6'3 and 230 lbs... you sure they didn't mistype TE as RB?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 04:55 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 6'3 and 230 lbs... you sure they didn't mistype TE as RB?

Derrick Henry is even bigger than that.

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 04:59 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Derrick Henry is even bigger than that.

When he runs he kind of reminds me of Henry, just not near as fast. But he sure likes to punish Defenders.

We might be going to more of a power game at times if he makes the team. Patrick can catch as we see in this vid so he 
isn't just a goal line RB. Really like the pick up the more I study up on the guy. Plus when Noles fans like Yo and Wyche 
like him it is a great sign.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 02:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Mixon is in his prime though and has proven to be one of the best RB's in the NFL and has great hands.

Mixon cannot hold out anymore and make money so it does nothing for him with the new CBA.

Holding out means he gets zero next season I just read.

I would pay him something decent keep him happy and keep him as Burrow's proven RB. Just don't overpay.

If someone is on the cutting block it would be Gio once everything calms down, he is overpaid.

Bell kinda set the precedent where a RB will hold out for a whole year even if it means not getting paid that year.
It keeps tread on his tires, and Bell showed it can result in a big payday.
Basically sacrificing a year of pay to get the big long term contract.
Especially given Mixon would be playing on a rookie contract (only $1.7 mill), he really wouldn't be losing much if he lands a big deal in FA next year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote