Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Suddenly Thin at DB
(04-03-2020, 08:24 AM)kevin Wrote: Cutting Kirkpatrick and not keeping Dennard plus a few other DB's gone.   It seems risky.  How many DB's do they think they can add all at once ???

Well, I had been thinking Burrows at QB, a LB that we need, an OT that we need.   Suddenly DB becomes a need. I don't know how they are going to fill all the needs areas of this 2 win team that was lousy in both 2018 and 2019.  Many needs, not enough draft picks.

NEEDED ADD ON :  Bengals.com is not showing Wayne's or Alexander or any Free Agents added in Transactions or Team Roster.  So if I'm wrong on Bengals thin at DB, it is because Bengals.com is wrong. I hope they are wrong and Bengals not this thin at DB.

I literally think they have something like 8 on the roster right now
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2020, 09:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Tony can build up if needed to then, Synric knows his stuff.

I'd say that is somewhat unlikely.  An athlete of that type, at his age, is pretty much is the size that he's going to be.  When lean mass bodies try to "bulk up", they often end up throwing off their balance and agility.  He might end up looking "flat footed", rather than quick twitch and reflexive.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2020, 09:59 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'd say that is somewhat unlikely.  An athlete of that type, at his age, is pretty much is the size that he's going to be.  When lean mass bodies try to "bulk up", they often end up throwing off their balance and agility.  He might end up looking "flat footed", rather than quick twitch and reflexive.

Very astute! I know you know your stuff with respect to fitness.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2020, 10:02 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Very astute!  I know you know your stuff with respect to fitness.

I've learned a little bit, over the years.  Most of it from experimenting on myself, and discovering what does and doesn't work well.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Drugs are bad
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2020, 11:13 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I've learned a little bit, over the years.  Most of it from experimenting on myself, and discovering what does and doesn't work well.

Since my sport is golf I just do lots of cardio and lifting to keep my legs strong. Years ago when I was playing competitively I fell for the old “strength = speed” argument and started lifting with my upper body too and I LOST distance! Adding muscle mass to my upper body was counterproductive to my swing. Now I just use light weights with lots of reps to keep my core toned and much of my distance has returned.

This takes an ego check in the gym. While most guys are on the bench press lifting astronomically huge weights, I’ll get on there and maybe lift 75 pounds — but I’ll do three or four sets of twelve reps. On the leg press I’ll lift all I can but for upper body exercises I stick to light weights with lots of reps.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2020, 09:59 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'd say that is somewhat unlikely.  An athlete of that type, at his age, is pretty much is the size that he's going to be.  When lean mass bodies try to "bulk up", they often end up throwing off their balance and agility.  He might end up looking "flat footed", rather than quick twitch and reflexive.

Thanks Sunset, didn't know all that, Tony just seems a little small for a Safety but Earl Thomas sure ain't a big guy.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2020, 12:18 PM)Trademark Wrote: Drugs are bad

[Image: mkay-work-ents-memegenerator-net-mkay-mr...993015.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2020, 11:13 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I've learned a little bit, over the years.  Most of it from experimenting on myself, and discovering what does and doesn't work well.

Most boys do that when their hormones start to change and they get curious.  Nothing to be ashamed of. Cool
Reply/Quote
This guy and JPoore need some medication
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2020, 12:21 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Since my sport is golf I just do lots of cardio and lifting to keep my legs strong.  Years ago when I was playing competitively I fell for the old “strength = speed” argument and started lifting with my upper body too and I LOST distance!  Adding muscle mass to my upper body was counterproductive to my swing.  Now I just use light weights with lots of reps to keep my core toned and much of my distance has returned.

This takes an ego check in the gym.  While most guys are on the bench press lifting astronomically huge weights, I’ll get on there and maybe lift 75 pounds — but I’ll do three or four sets of twelve reps.  On the leg press I’ll lift all I can but for upper body exercises I stick to light weights with lots of reps.

I took Golf as a P.E, elective just for fun.  The instructor was Coach Lawhorn, the head basketball coach.  He told me right then and there, after watching one swing;  You're a big, strong guy, but in Golf you'll need to just relax and be fluid.  I also read up and learned that the large upper body muscles of athletes from other sports inhibits range of motion and retards the ability to swing smoothly and naturally.  So, your experiment with training upper body seems to confirm what I read.

So, now that we've totally taken the thread off the rails, Cheers! The Bengals will be perfectly fine at DB.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2020, 08:03 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: This guy and JPoore need some medication

The fella made an honest mistake... Not everyone has their head up their ass on their Insta, Twitter, and whatever dorky ass podcasts are out there.

I don't agree with JPoore's recent posts on Tua and Burrow either, but the guy is sharper and more astute than many are giving him credit for. I remember rolling my eyes years ago when he suggested we trade AJ for Mike Thomas and some picks to New Orleans... How'd that move look right now?

I think we could all use a lil medication at the moment...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2020, 09:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I took Golf as a P.E, elective just for fun.  The instructor was Coach Lawhorn, the head basketball coach.  He told me right then and there, after watching one swing;  You're a big, strong guy, but in Golf you'll need to just relax and be fluid.  I also read up and learned that the large upper body muscles of athletes from other sports inhibits range of motion and retards the ability to swing smoothly and naturally.  So, your experiment with training upper body seems to confirm what I read.

So, now that we've totally taken the thread off the rails, Cheers! The Bengals will be perfectly fine at DB.

Oh yes. Last year’s secondary was so bad they were a tertiary!
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2020, 09:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I took Golf as a P.E, elective just for fun.  The instructor was Coach Lawhorn, the head basketball coach.  He told me right then and there, after watching one swing;  You're a big, strong guy, but in Golf you'll need to just relax and be fluid.  I also read up and learned that the large upper body muscles of athletes from other sports inhibits range of motion and retards the ability to swing smoothly and naturally.  So, your experiment with training upper body seems to confirm what I read.

I'ma use that excuse the next time I'm playing golf... I'm too damn strong. In all seriousness; Mr Lawhorn is right. It's all about rythem. Just like those scrawny guys that would jack home runs back in the day... Fluidity.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2020, 09:51 PM)jason Wrote: The fella made an honest mistake... Not everyone has their head up their ass on their Insta, Twitter, and whatever dorky ass podcasts are out there.

I don't agree with JPoore's recent posts on Tua and Burrow either, but the guy is sharper and more astute than many are giving him credit for. I remember rolling my eyes years ago when he suggested we trade AJ for Mike Thomas and some picks to New Orleans... How'd that move look right now?

A blind squirrel and all that...

But seriously, his opinions on QB’s are...really out there.

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2020, 09:51 PM)jason Wrote: The fella made an honest mistake... Not everyone has their head up their ass on their Insta, Twitter, and whatever dorky ass podcasts are out there.

Okay honest mistake he must have missed those signings. But did you hear that Andy Dalton might get traded this year !!
Reply/Quote

When did we have the chance to do that?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2020, 09:55 PM)jason Wrote: I'ma use that excuse the next time I'm playing golf... I'm too damn strong. In all seriousness; Mr Lawhorn is right. It's all about rythem. Just like those scrawny guys that would jack home runs back in the day... Fluidity.

Eric Davis, for example?  Cool

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2020, 11:12 PM)McC Wrote: When did we have the chance to do that?

Never... But it was brought up on here and sorta universally scoffed at as a dumb move.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2020, 01:37 AM)jason Wrote: Never... But it was brought up on here and sorta universally scoffed at as a dumb move.

Dumb or unrealistic?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote