Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Trading Up in 1st ?
It will be first time attending the draft party at PBS this year so hoping something unprecedented takes place.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2017, 12:09 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Would love the luxury of taking a WR high in draft as well.

But think we have much bigger problems than this and think only a late round flyer or two should be used.

AJ is AJ, believe Boyd will be improved greatly, LaFell is better than some give him credit for, being Erickson can contribute, Core could step up as well, and hopefully Eiffert will stay healthy for a change.

We have found WR's like Marvin Jones in fifth round before and would not take one before then. Would concentrate heavily on both Lines, LB, and RB early.

On paper I would agree with you, but watching the offense last year when AJ went down was horrible.  It's obvious that we don't have another guy that can create any sort of matchup problems for defenses at WR.  I don't see Core as being that guy.

This isn't the old NFL, it seems like now the passing game opens up the running game.  I would think that if we had anohter legit threat at WR that teams would have a very hard time defending us even with our porous offensive line.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2017, 02:26 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: On paper I would agree with you, but watching the offense last year when AJ went down was horrible.  It's obvious that we don't have another guy that can create any sort of matchup problems for defenses at WR.  I don't see Core as being that guy.

This isn't the old NFL, it seems like now the passing game opens up the running game.  I would think that if we had anohter legit threat at WR that teams would have a very hard time defending us even with our porous offensive line.

This is why I think OJ Howard is a real possibility at 9
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Trading up usually ends badly for whichever team is doing it. There may be exceptions, but for the most part it doesn't go well. I say stay put at a minimum, and drop back if we can. If there's a trade up situation, it better be for Garrett.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2017, 02:26 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: On paper I would agree with you, but watching the offense last year when AJ went down was horrible.  It's obvious that we don't have another guy that can create any sort of matchup problems for defenses at WR.  I don't see Core as being that guy.

Give the WR's a break. After AJ last year you had a guy first year in the system and 3 rookies. If god forbid AJ went down again this year, I'd expect the passing game to be better this year than last, under this scenario.

Rumors are starting that Cleveland is shopping the first pick, I think it would be great if the Bengals could package picks and McCarron for Myles Garrett.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2017, 04:21 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Give the WR's a break. After AJ last year you had a guy first year in the system and 3 rookies. If god forbid AJ went down again this year, I'd expect the passing game to be better this year than last, under this scenario.

Rumors are starting that Cleveland is shopping the first pick, I think it would be great if the Bengals could package picks and McCarron for Myles Garrett.

I'm not being overly critical here.  Boyd does a nice job as a #3, Core is a #5,6 type guy at best.

LaFell is here for another 2 years, so we can't sit on our hands and not draft a WR like we did when Sanu and Jones were here and be left with a thin WR group.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2017, 10:07 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Not sure if posted already but did not notice it.  

Two different articles on CBS are suggesting the Bengals are trading up in 1st.

Mocking Bengals selecting DE Solomon Thomas with the 4th pick of the draft.

Would love for the Bengals to make a bold move like this. Especially if they move AJM for an extra pick to help replace picks traded.

Thoughts, would you do it or stay put ?
I know a lot of people think our roster stinks and we are rebuilding. I don't agree and think 11 draft picks in 2017 only 5 to 7 make the team so in essence 4  to 6 wasted picks. I would love to see is package picks to move up and get a better option. In the end, I would rather have 5 great picks (in 1st 4 rounds) than a bunch of 5th through 7th rounders likely to never make the roster.

I am not sure I like moving up to 4th from 9, but I would love moving up in the 2nd round or even the 3rd all the way to the 2nd to get 2 second round picks.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2017, 10:31 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Think they were suggesting our 1st and a comp pick or two that we have acquired.

I don't think that would get it done, at least if anywhere close to the trade value chart.

Pick #5 = 1700 pts
Pick #9 = 1350 pts

A 4th comp is valued at 43-44 pts, 5th comp around 27 pts, 6th around 14 pts, 7th at just a point.
All comps combined: 44 + 27 + 14 + 1 = 86 pts.
Add that to 1350 and you're still over 250 pts short.

If the Bengals wanted to move up to #5 from #9 and not give up their 2nd rounder, they'd need to cough up their third rounder (225 pts) too to get close.
Is the 5th overall pick worth the #9, the third rounder, and every comp pick from 4 through 7?

I think if the Bengals were to move up, it'd only be to #7 at best. It costs too much to go beyond that.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2017, 04:48 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't think that would get it done, at least if anywhere close to the trade value chart.

Pick #5 = 1700 pts
Pick #9 = 1350 pts

A 4th comp is valued at 43-44 pts, 5th comp around 27 pts, 6th around 14 pts, 7th at just a point.
All comps combined: 44 + 27 + 14 + 1 = 86 pts.
Add that to 1350 and you're still over 250 pts short.

If the Bengals wanted to move up to #5 from #9 and not give up their 2nd rounder, they'd need to cough up their third rounder (225 pts) too to get close.
Is the 5th overall pick worth the #9, the third rounder, and every comp pick from 4 through 7?

I think if the Bengals were to move up, it'd only be to #7 at best. It costs too much to go beyond that.

How about our 3rd round pick for 2018? We will likely have a comp. pick or 2 due to Whittworth and Zeitler packaged with 3 2017 comp. picks? Is that closer?

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
The mock draft on moving the chains had the Bengals giving up their 2nd rounder to get to the Jets spot.

You can throw out the draft trade chart when it comes to moving up in the top 10. I would bet that any team from #2 on would take the Bengals 2nd rounder to switch spots.

The only guy that really would be worth trading up for would be Myles Garrett. I would part with a 3rd rounder to move up to get Solomon Thomas, but outside of that, the draft is too deep to give up a 2nd or 2rd rounder - especially where we are drafting.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2017, 12:19 PM)Go Cards Wrote: It will be first time attending the draft party at PBS this year so hoping something unprecedented takes place.

Me too. Need to meet and talk about our Bengals. I can't wait for the draft party. I am hoping we do something unique this year in round 1 and no not trade our pick...LOL

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2017, 04:52 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The mock draft on moving the chains had the Bengals giving up their 2nd rounder to get to the Jets spot.

You can throw out the draft trade chart when it comes to moving up in the top 10.  I would bet that any team from #2 on would take the Bengals 2nd rounder to switch spots.

The only guy that really would be worth trading up for would be Myles Garrett.  I would part with a 3rd rounder to move up to get Solomon Thomas, but outside of that, the draft is too deep to give up a 2nd or 2rd rounder - especially where we are drafting.

I would trade the Jets AJM and our 1st for spot 6 if:

1. Thomas was available
2. Adams was available

Other than that, not sure it is worth it. I would rather move down a few spots and get a 2nd round pick if our guy is not there. At #9, I like Howard or Allen if they are still in play.

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2017, 04:58 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I would trade the Jets AJM and our 1st for spot 6 if:

1. Thomas was available
2. Adams was available

Other than that, not sure it is worth it. I would rather move down a few spots and get a 2nd round pick if our guy is not there. At #9, I like Howard or Allen if they are still in play.

Just stay at 9, I don't buy for a second a QB doesn't go before 9 either by trade or a team there.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2017, 04:52 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: How about our 3rd round pick for 2018? We will likely have a comp. pick or 2 due to Whittworth and Zeitler packaged with 3 2017 comp. picks? Is that closer?

I'm not sure what the future picks are worth, as the trade value charts I've seen only show current draft slots.

However, I always thought that the trade value of the next year equated to about a round later this year (e.g. 2018 3rd rounder = 2017 4th rounder), but no way to confirm or deny this.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2017, 05:01 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm not sure what the future picks are worth, as the trade value charts I've seen only show current draft slots.

However, I always thought that the trade value of the next year equated to about a round later this year (e.g. 2018 3rd rounder = 2017 4th rounder), but no way to confirm or deny this.

Conventional wisdom is 50-75% of the current slotted pick, so a 1st next year would be worth roughly 50-75% of the 9th pick.
Reply/Quote
Is the draft party open to the public or just season ticket holders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2017, 11:59 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Am fine if this happens as well. Really like Barnett but worries me that someone moves up at last minute and takes him. 

Have seen many Bengals targets go off the board in similar fashion. 

Like having extra pick as well and this is why I would move AJM. Still would be fine moving back "if" our targeted player is still going to be there. If not stay at 9 or move up.

We really need starters out of this draft somehow. But finding them is never a given.  

Would actually like to stay at 9 and trade up for a later first round pick and get Cam Robinson which would cost less and still trade AJM for an extra 2nd or a 3rd if it were me. 

Yet if they like someone enough to move up I would applaud the move as well. 

Agreed about trading back in to Rd 1 to get Cam, but your statement about someone jumping in front of us (New Orleans?) to get Barnett sent a chill down my spine.  I fear they wouldn't take the WR Ross or Davis, but Reuben Foster....and I don't want him. 
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2017, 05:04 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Is the draft party open to the public or just season ticket holders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only season ticket holders. They give an option to pick 1 of 3 events to attend.

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2017, 05:01 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm not sure what the future picks are worth, as the trade value charts I've seen only show current draft slots.

Sounds steep, but you may be right since they don't know if we would have pick 1 or pick 32 yet

Reply/Quote

it is just my opinion that the WR's will be better after getting a year in the system and hopefully Eiffert is full strength which helps immensely. 

Yet agree with you and do not think anybody except AJ is a #1 caliber NFL player. Well Eiffert but he is technically a TE and never know if he will be around.

Believe the Bengals will target a WR early though. Just personally would like the DL and OL to get the early picks and grab one later. 

Then next year would want a WR in 1st round once lines are bolstered. Just me though, build from inside out. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote