Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gameplan- Scouting the Jets
Pat Sims practicing again today. With all the interior DL injuries glad to know he's in the rotation. Maybe he'll have a big day -- though Forte doesn't really run to the inside much does he?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 09:39 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: The acquisition of Matt Forte paints a pretty clear picture of priority 1 for the Jets:  Run the ball.

Last year, they ran the ball 36 times, and passed it only 24, in the opener at home against the Browns.  The game was actually closer than the score would indicate the had more than its share of "only the Browns" moments.  They basically seemed content to grind it out and let Cleveland make mistakes. 

This year, I could see the Jets not only rushing the ball a great deal, but utilizing a lot of check downs to Forte out of the backfield.  This is something that gives the Bengals problems.  I remember the KC game, and on that team with little to no WR talent, they would send three or four receivers up field only to dump it off to Jamal Charles on 3rd and 9 who would make the first down.  Frustrating.  It might be putting a lot on Dansby's plate to try and cover him out of the backfield.  We already know Maualuga and Rey won't likely be able to.  This is the only real concern I have on defense.  Stopping the checkdown game.  We know our front four can get pressure.  Take away the dump offs and screens with tight coverage to prevent Fitz from getting the ball out quickly...and let the big dogs eat.  If Fitz gets knocked out of the game by a hard sack, Geno Smith isn't winning anything for them.  Make him uncomfortable with a lot of pressure in his face. 

I hope the Bengals plan to attack early down the field with Green, Boyd, and Lafell to try and build an early lead and force the Jets in to a passing game.  If Fitzy is forced to throw the ball 35 times, at least one will come to the Bengals.  The Bengals need to attack the Jets by spreading out and forcing their bigger LBs to tackle in space.  Make them chase and beat their blockers.  I expect the Bengals to be in 3-wide sets almost the entire game.  Utilize Core's speed to help take the top off the defense and let Boyd and AJ work underneath. 

Most importantly, take your shots.  Don't play all short and let the Jets get away with only covering a small portion of the field.  Attack them. 

I see Bengals 24, Jets 16

Lots of great points. Need to stop the run first and not be over aggressive cause you are right, those checkdowns
have hurt us in the past cause we can be over aggressive getting after the passer. Need to play disciplined and
keep that back end shut cause Brandon Marshall is still a great WR.

I always thought Forte was underrated in all facets of the game as well so i understand some concern but in the
end i think we pull this game out. Our Offense needs to be balanced and our Defense should be enough cause if
the Jets are passing on 3rd and long Fitz will be in trouble with Geno and the boys coming after him.

The Jets have a formidable Defense same as us and Dalton and his new weapons should take a little time to get
on the same page. Lafell has hardly played with Dalton in a game yet, Kroft has been out a bit, Boyd is a rookie.

I see a low scoring game...

Bengals - 17
Jets - 13
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2016, 07:48 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: Pat Sims practicing again today. With all the interior DL injuries glad to know he's in the rotation. Maybe he'll have a big day -- though Forte doesn't really run to the inside much does he?

I heard Sims wasn't going to play earlier but maybe Marv was talking about this Thursday being he should
play and not next week? Need to clear this up cause if Sims can play Sunday it really helps out our D-line
rotation especially with the DT's.
Reply/Quote
to me the jets dline is their strong point. I'd quick pass, screen, draw, and misdirection them early to slow them up.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2016, 10:53 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Yep, believe Dansby will be huge acquisition for Defense this year.

Me, too! Lots of Browns friends loved Dansby. He was my favorite pick up of the year. I think he will help us a bunch.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2016, 07:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I heard Sims wasn't going to play earlier but maybe Marv was talking about this Thursday being he should
play and not next week? Need to clear this up cause if Sims can play Sunday it really helps out our D-line
rotation especially with the DT's.

He will play sunday he ptacticed thursday 
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2016, 10:29 PM)bonesaw Wrote: to me the jets dline is their strong point.  I'd quick pass, screen, draw, and misdirection them early to slow them up.

If memory serves they were something like #3 in the league when the Bengals dropped a 40 burger on them a few years ago....It was Marvin Jones coming out party.  They made the Jets chase wide and cover a of quick screens and slants to great success.  That was  a Rex Ryan defense, however. 

Similarly, though to that season, the Bengals offensive line is a strength especially in pass protection.  So, in terms of strength against strength, their secondary was tested and failed. 
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2016, 10:29 PM)bonesaw Wrote: to me the jets dline is their strong point.  I'd quick pass, screen, draw, and misdirection them early to slow them up.

It might not be this year, they are missing 2 of their 3 starters from last year.. Damon Harrison to FA and Sheldon Richardson suspended. so I don;t think they will be as strong as last year, still good but with losing 66 percent of your starting line, I would say they take a step back for our game
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2016, 07:48 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: Pat Sims practicing again today. With all the interior DL injuries glad to know he's in the rotation. Maybe he'll have a big day -- though Forte doesn't really run to the inside much does he?

Yea, I feel better knowing he will be taking up a lot of space on the interior of the DL. He makes our run defense much better.
Reply/Quote