Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals and Dalvin Cook
Whatever happen to Kamara? Really wanted him in that draft class. That was an awesome RB draft.
Reply/Quote
Dalvin Cook would’ve been a much better pick than Mixon. Cook’s a little washed now

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
Big pass.

Cook has been on a decline the past few seasons and he's at the age where running backs are better off taken out behind the barn and shot.

Not to mention that we should be excited by Moss and the potential that Brown has shown, and, even if we were to think that Cook has something left, he always seemed to do better when he would run the ball consistently and be able to get into a rhythm, which couldn't happen here since we're so pass heavy and have Moss and Brown.

The only reason that I could see a benefit is he seems to do his best work from shotgun at 5 ypc, but that was also only in about 25% of his runs, so it's limited data.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2024, 02:32 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Cederick 2.0

More like Larry Johnson 2.0 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think I'd rather bring Eno Benjamin in and see how he's recovered from his achilles tear.

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
I wanted Cook in the draft. I don't want him now.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2024, 07:36 PM)Joelist Wrote: Moss also does not have the wear and tear Cook does. He becomes 28 in 2025. 

That matters, but honestly less than you would think with RBs.

https://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/123542/inside-slant-running-back-cliff-after-age-27

That's from 2014, but the threshold to be included there was only an average of 75 carries per season... I know there's also talk about an 1800 carry mark where a lot of RBs also drop off, but I think that's an either-or thing where either 1800 carries or 28. You don't want a RB with over 1800 career carries, and you don't want a RB 28+. There's obviously outliers of guys who handle more carries or more years, as there will always be, but they're still not odds you want to take and they get even worse at 29.

Just look at a couple guys who had their age 28 season in 2023...
Austin Ekeler: 3.5ypc
Dalvin Cook: 3.2ypc
Jamaaal Williams: 2.9ypc
Ezekiel Elliott: 3.5ypc
Alvin Kamara: 3.9ypc
Kareem Hunt: 3.0ypc

And multiple of those guys weren't high-wear-and-tear guys. On the bright side Henry will continue declining while on the Ravens and hopefully Chubb for the Browns will be too.

Draft a RB, use them up in 4-5 years, replace them. Second contracts for RBs just really seem like a terrible bet. Unless they are Barry Sanders (or maybe a 1,000 yard receiver) just don't give second contracts and replace them frequently. Let other teams sink their cap space on bad deals.

- - - - - -

Not an issue with Moss yet hopefully. Just need to remember that however he does in 2024, we can't get too emotional and need to remember that we still need to look for a RB early in the 2025 draft.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2024, 07:17 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You don't need 320 carries in a year to make a judgement on a RB.

First off there have only been 3 players with seasons of 320+ carries in the entire NFL in the last 5 years. Secondly, that's a very "Bernard Scott should be our #1 RB" thought process.

I think he meant that as sarcasm.... Brown had very few carries to get into any kind of rhythm.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2024, 05:56 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Never expected Moss to be a long-term answer. Always figured he was more of a 1-year (generic brand) bandaid to get us to next year's draft class of RBs. He has only $1.5m dead cap from his signing bonus if he is cut after this year. So potentially just a 1yr/~$4.5m deal.

Even worse, don't want a rookie blocking etc for Burrow,  I actually feel bengals want him at least 2 yrs.
Reply/Quote
Wouldn't be against this. I can sell water to a drowning man but I can't convince myself that our backfield is set.

I remember Carson was on Jordan Palmer's podcast back in... maybe Jan 2023? Something like that. Last playoffs sometime. Anyway, they were discussing their dream offense and they both picked Cook. There was no debate, they thought he was so far above and beyond anyone else, namely because he could do it all. (Can't remember who else they picked. I think Shanahan was their OC, Kittle was their TE. Chase was the only Bengal iinm.)

Granted that was before his year with the Jets. Who knows how they feel about him now. But if that's a mark of the respect he has from people who've played in the league, I'd be happy to give him a look. I was actually hoping we'd sign him before the Jets did.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2024, 07:48 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Whatever happen to Kamara? Really wanted him in that draft class. That was an awesome RB draft.

He's still chugging along in New Orleans. He isn't much of a rusher anymore, but he catches a lot of passes.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Pass on Cook. McKinnon is still out there in free agency right? I think he had the label of being a good pass protector.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2024, 02:27 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Pass on Cook. McKinnon is still out there in free agency right? I think he had the label of being a good pass protector.

I believe Mckinnon is 32 or 33, i prefer a power back so i would wait to see what happens with roster cuts and look for a power back to sign to help with short yardage. i don't see a true power back on the team
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2024, 06:33 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I believe Mckinnon is 32 or 33, i prefer a power back so i would wait to see what happens with roster cuts and look for a power back to sign to help with short yardage. i don't see a true power back on the team

I was just looking at the free agents. I think the options are slim right now. Thus, why they probably just role with Moss/Brown and who wins the third RB spot.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2024, 07:48 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Whatever happen to Kamara? Really wanted him in that draft class. That was an awesome RB draft.

Drew Brees retired and teams could actually start playing against the run again.

Also he and his buddies jumped a guy and beat him unconscious on camera.... but I guess that's at least not hanging out with an armed felon at your house while he shoots at children.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
The RB room is already almost set. Moss, Brown and Trayveon Williams are all pretty solid bets. The one that could be replaced is Evans; I have Noah Cain beating him out as my surprise special for making the roster.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2024, 07:20 PM)Joelist Wrote: The RB room is already almost set. Moss, Brown and Trayveon Williams are all pretty solid bets. The one that could be replaced is Evans; I have Noah Cain beating him out as my surprise special for making the roster.

Those names wow no one.

I am optimistic for Moss (production questions there) and Chase (nothing proven), but the RB room is very sketchy.
Reply/Quote
I would go out and get Cam Akers for the 3rd back role and push Evans to the practice squad
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2024, 07:59 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Dalvin Cook would’ve been a much better pick than Mixon. Cook’s a little washed now

This....I wanted Cook that draft.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-03-2024, 01:08 AM)schroomytunes Wrote: I would go out and get Cam Akers for the 3rd back role and push Evans to the practice squad

Not a bad idea 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote