Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals are in position
This team is in a very good position right now to make a multi-year playoff run. This year may not be the year it starts (its a very tough division), but it's coming sooner rather than later.

After drafting Chase, the Bengals will have an elite QB in Burrow and an elite WR in Chase on rookie contracts. They have another very good WR in Tee Higgins on a rookie contract, and they signed Boyd and Mixon to extensions last year. The skill position groups (minus TE) are damn good and at a fraction of the cost of most teams.

This will allow the Bengals to be aggressive in attacking the OL while also upgrading the pass rush. They can certainly get some help there over the next few rounds of this year's draft, next year's draft, and they will have the cap space to be aggressive in free agency due to not being bogged down with big skill position contracts.

For the first time in awhile, I feel really good about where this team is headed. Who Dey!
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 08:49 AM)Fullrock Wrote: This team is in a very good position right now to make a multi-year playoff run. This year may not be the year it starts (its a very tough division), but it's coming sooner rather than later.

After drafting Chase, the Bengals will have an elite QB in Burrow and an elite WR in Chase on rookie contracts. They have another very good WR in Tee Higgins on a rookie contract, and they signed Boyd and Mixon to extensions last year. The skill position groups (minus TE) are damn good and at a fraction of the cost of most teams.

This will allow the Bengals to be aggressive in attacking the OL while also upgrading the pass rush. They can certainly get some help there over the next few rounds of this year's draft, next year's draft, and they will have the cap space to be aggressive in free agency due to not being bogged down with big skill position contracts.

For the first time in awhile, I feel really good about where this team is headed. Who Dey!

Full, don't blame it on the division.  That's like saying we were so good during the 70's but the Steelers were better so we didn't make the playoffs. 

If you have the pieces then the problems your coach.  Me personally, i think that this coaching staff is Kmart worthy.  A place where you go looking for bargains when it comes to coaches.  I can't give glowing recommendations of a head coach that's 6-25-1.  I never gave Dave Shula compliments, so I sure as hell won't give Zac Taylor any either. 

I agree if we pick up some OL today and tomorrow and Pollack can build that OL then I'd agree we'll be making the playoffs in the next 2 seasons....I mean we better after spent $200 Million Dollars on the Defense for crying out loud. 
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 09:01 AM)TJ528 Wrote: Full, don't blame it on the division.  That's like saying we were so good during the 70's but the Steelers were better so we didn't make the playoffs. 

If you have the pieces then the problems your coach.  Me personally, i think that this coaching staff is Kmart worthy.  A place where you go looking for bargains when it comes to coaches.  I can't give glowing recommendations of a head coach that's 6-25-1.  I never gave Dave Shula compliments, so I sure as hell won't give Zac Taylor any either. 

I agree if we pick up some OL today and tomorrow and Pollack can build that OL then I'd agree we'll be making the playoffs in the next 2 seasons....I mean we better after spent $200 Million Dollars on the Defense for crying out loud. 

I mean it is one of, if not the best division in football, and that may keep them from making the playoffs this year, BUT I honestly expect the Steelers to be the last place team in the division. That being said, the Bengals may still be a year away.

I think the jury is still out on Taylor. He inherited a roster void of talent and depth. A roster with aging veterans on the decline and has had a plethora of injuries. That being said, the leash is getting shorter, and he certainly needs to show major improvement this year at minimum, and this better be a playoff team by 2022.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 12:57 PM)Fullrock Wrote: I mean it is one of, if not the best division in football, and that may keep them from making the playoffs this year, BUT I honestly expect the Steelers to be the last place team in the division. That being said, the Bengals may still be a year away.

I think the jury is still out on Taylor. He inherited a roster void of talent and depth. A roster with aging veterans on the decline and has had a plethora of injuries. That being said, the leash is getting shorter, and he certainly needs to show major improvement this year at minimum, and this better be a playoff team by 2022.

He inherited an offense that was the 17th scoring offense in 2018, used 1st and 2nd round picks on offense in both 2019 and 2020... and turned it into the 30th and the 29th scoring offenses.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 01:02 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He inherited an offense that was the 17th scoring offense in 2018, used 1st and 2nd round picks on offense in both 2019 and 2020... and turned it into the 30th and the 29th scoring offenses.

Crazy a young offensive minded guru can come in and take the 17th scoring offense in 2018 and use 2 high draft picks and turn it into a crapfest.  
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 12:57 PM)Fullrock Wrote: BUT I honestly expect the Steelers to be the last place team in the division.

I feel like I've been hearing people make this prediction for years now.  And who knows, maybe you're right but I highly doubt it.

The last time the Steelers finished last in the division was 1988.  The last time they finished under .500 was 2003.  They're such a well run organization that they can pull 8-8 seasons out of their ass after with Mason Rudolph and Devlin Hodges starting 14 games.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 08:49 AM)Fullrock Wrote: After drafting Chase, the Bengals will have an elite QB in Burrow and an elite WR in Chase on rookie contracts.

Ya'll throw around the term elite way too easily.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 01:02 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He inherited an offense that was the 17th scoring offense in 2018, used 1st and 2nd round picks on offense in both 2019 and 2020... and turned it into the 30th and the 29th scoring offenses.

Oh, did he? You mean the 1st round pick in 2019 who didn't play a snap and the second rounder Drew Sample, a run of the mill TE? We will never know if Sample was a guy ZT really wanted. You also mean a 2019 team that saw AJ Green not take a snap leaving Auden Tate as the No. 2 receiver and zero speed at the position unless you want to count hands of stone John Ross? I'm curious...where was the offense in scoring prior to the Redskins game when Burrow went down? They scored 23+ points in 6 of Burrow's 9 games including 4 games of 30+ points. Name another rookie QB who put up 30+ points in 4 of his first 9 starts. I'll wait. If you're gonna use stats to try to make a point you may not want to use scoring with Brandon Allen and Ryan Finley playing QB to support your argument.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 01:14 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Ya'll throw around the term elite way too easily.

Actually it's pretty easy to see both will be elite at their positions. Chase is the complete package at WR, speed, athleticism, body control, hands, physical...you name the tool and he has it.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 01:09 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I feel like I've been hearing people make this prediction for years now.  And who knows, maybe you're right but I highly doubt it.

The last time the Steelers finished last in the division was 1988.  The last time they finished under .500 was 2003.  They're such a well run organization that they can pull 8-8 seasons out of their ass after with Mason Rudolph and Devlin Hodges starting 14 games.

I'm with you.  It wouldn't floor me if the Steelers fell off this year, but I have to admit we've been expecting/predicting/hoping for it to happen for a long ass time.  Then again, we all "knew" the Browns could never win even if they improved their roster and coaches so meh...the times they may be a-becomin' a-quite differentiated.

Anyways, the better this team is the faster they should get a real coaching staff in here.  If we have an instantly elite offense let's fire ZT now and lure in some top talent. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

We will find out how big of a role Jim Turner's musical chairs OL had to do with it soon enough. Injuries certainly hurt the team, but the second Turner took over, the OL was nothing but crap. Dalton was also running for his life his final year here. Sure Turner didnt have a bunch of elite players, but it was he who loved Hart, and stuck with Jordan way too long. He put Johnson out there as a G and Johnson isnt a G at all. Not all players can play all positions. Turner was the OL coach when injuries to the OL forced backups to come in against the Titans and played leagues better than Turners chosen starters, in our most convincing win of the season. 

I dont expect Pollack to be a miracle worker, but I expect overall improvement. If we can land a couple good OL in this draft we may be onto something. 
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 01:05 PM)TJ528 Wrote: Crazy a young offensive minded guru can come in and take the 17th scoring offense in 2018 and use 2 high draft picks and turn it into a crapfest.  

Hmm.  What changed when Zac took over.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 08:49 AM)Fullrock Wrote: This team is in a very good position right now to make a multi-year playoff run. This year may not be the year it starts (its a very tough division), but it's coming sooner rather than later.

Yeah and if these current coaches don't make the Playoffs this year they should be gone and replaced with someone competent.

The new HC and coaches will have an excellent team to work with. It hasn't been the moves or picks that have been back under
Taylor and company it has been the coaching. Just win baby, this team right now could be really good with a couple more starting
caliber OL to protect Burrow and open up holes in the running game.

Maybe 3rd years the charm? Could very well happen. I don't think we will be the doormat of the AFC North this year.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 01:14 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Ya'll throw around the term elite way too easily.

True, though I'd argue"generational" is violated even more egregiously.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 03:50 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Hmm.  What changed when Zac took over.

Well I'd say the offense went to crap even more so than when Bill Lazor lead the offense in 2018, which is why it ranked 30th and 29th in offense.  

Just a guess
Reply/Quote
It all bolls down to how well they live up to their potential

Boyd is one of the top 5 slots in the game. He and Burrow looked great together.
Tee locked pretty damn good running around and making plays. He's nice option deep and over the middle
Chase should be pretty good by the end of the year. I expect him to struggle out of the gate a little. But year 2, if all goes well, this could be a top 5 group.
Reply/Quote

There lies the problem since the great run of Dalton/Green and company... we have not invested in our Oline and we still have not.. we will not compete in the AFC North without more high end investment in Oline.. and with a young QB and Burrow struggles with pressure it still does not bode well if we don;t start addressing the line long term and not with bandaids 
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 03:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah and if these current coaches don't make the Playoffs this year they should be gone and replaced with someone competent.

The new HC and coaches will have an excellent team to work with. It hasn't been the moves or picks that have been back under
Taylor and company it has been the coaching. Just win baby, this team right now could be really good with a couple more starting
caliber OL to protect Burrow and open up holes in the running game.

Maybe 3rd years the charm? Could very well happen. I don't think we will be the doormat of the AFC North this year.

So the Oline we have is excellent to work with ??
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2021, 03:50 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Hmm.  What changed when Zac took over.

Well, we went from being competitive to completely craptacular, for starters..  Mellow

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

All NFL divisions are tough, especially when you don't build your team to compete with, and neutralize your rivals' strengths.  FWIW, I see the NFCW as the toughest division, heading into 2021 season.  However, the Bengals have done little to make themselves competitive in the AFCN.  In a division that features strong front 7's and dominating OLs.  You know, teams that are fundamentally strong, built from the inside out.

So, with what I wrote in mind, I find your claim that the Bengals are in good position to make a multi-year playoff run to be rather outlandish.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote