Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals assigned German WR/TE- Moritz Boehringer
The NFL announced that Boehringer has been assigned to the Bengals as part of the International Pathway Program.

Boehringer will be the 11th man on the practice squad and cannot be promoted to the 53.
Reply/Quote
Beat me to it.
Reply/Quote
Sweet, who knows he may turn into something ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Kind of F'ed up if you're a non-international fringe roster guy and see someone else getting special privileges like this.

I bet Andrew Hawkins or Cameron Wake would have loved to have been treated special so he could hang around in the NFL rather than having to go to Canada and work hard for another chance, like everyone else who wants to keep their eventual NFL dream alive.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 12:55 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Kind of F'ed up if you're a non-international fringe roster guy and see someone else getting special privileges like this.

I bet Andrew Hawkins or Cameron Wake would have loved to have been treated special so he could hang around in the NFL rather than having to go to Canada and work hard for another chance, like everyone else who wants to keep their eventual NFL dream alive.

He can't make the roster though which sucks for him; also the guy hasn't been able to get the proper training in Europe to be successful here maybe a year or two of coaching and practice reps can help him get it.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 12:55 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Kind of F'ed up if you're a non-international fringe roster guy and see someone else getting special privileges like this.

I am confused on why you are upset. He is not guaranteed a roster spot. I thought this was just to decide which of the 32 teams he could try out. In essence it means the international player was screwed only getting 1 team to ask for his services versus 32.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

Couple comments.

First:
Quote:They can’t be promoted to the active roster (such that they would), so it’s an extra body for coaches and a marketing opportunity for the league.

So, they aren't really hurting any other guys by lingering, but they are helping further globalize the sport. Some.

Second, for the most part, traditional NFL guys go the usual route of high school, college and NFL, with usually lots of guidance along the way. Some high schools are practically JUCo's as far as player development. Guys playing on the Unicorns probably didn't have that development network as they progressed. Hopefully, continued outreach like this will help some guys go home in a few years and change the culture that American football is something that can be developed in their home countries.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 01:26 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: He can't make the roster though which sucks for him; also the guy hasn't been able to get the proper training in Europe to be successful here maybe a year or two of coaching and practice reps can help him get it.

Yeah, basically just an extra body on the practice squad, but he will get some added experience...as as far as practicing with / against NFL players and learning more about the NFL game overall, which he hasn't been able to do since 2016.
Reply/Quote

He can't be promoted to the 53 and he doesn't count towards the 10 practice squad spots.
Reply/Quote
I remember the crazy hype around Boeringer after his Pro Day.
6'4", 220+ lb WR who ran a 4.43.
Pure project but if the Bengals could ever turn him into something, that'd be impressive.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 01:58 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I remember the crazy hype around Boeringer after his Pro Day.
6'4", 220+ lb WR who ran a 4.43.
Pure project but if the Bengals could ever turn him into something, that'd be impressive.

Agreed, but what's the point? Why is the League saying he can hang out on the PS, but not make the 53? Why couldn't he apply for a Green Card? Is this just PR? 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote

The article isn't clear, but it sounds like it's an extra slot on the practice squad? And they can't be promoted to the active roster anyway, so at the very worst they're taking up a practice squad slot. I don't think veterans care because they aren't eligible for the Practice Squad anyway.
Reply/Quote
So even if we wanted to.... We couldn't sign to a contract?
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 02:11 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The article isn't clear, but it sounds like it's an extra slot on the practice squad? And they can't be promoted to the active roster anyway, so at the very worst they're taking up a practice squad slot. I don't think veterans care because they aren't eligible for the Practice Squad anyway.

they aren't taking anything away from any vet despite the whining post up above.

we normally get 10 PS spots this year he is the 11th.   

I thought we have had one of those before he was a linebacker.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 02:03 PM)Shady Wrote: Agreed, but what's the point? Why is the League saying he can hang out on the PS, but not make the 53? Why couldn't he apply for a Green Card? Is this just PR? 

Was thinking the same thing. Cannot even make the 53, then what is the point?
Reply/Quote
Quote:

The name of the bunch is Moritz Böhringer, who has been allocated to the Bengals. He was a sixth-round pick of the Vikings in 2016, after a standout career with the Schwäbisch Hall Unicorns of the German Football League. He spent the 2016 season on their practice squad.

I guess I'm confused... (I know that doesn't surprise some of you), but I thought you had to be an NCAA athlete to be drafted. So the Vikings are drafting out of the German Football League?
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 02:03 PM)Shady Wrote: Agreed, but what's the point? Why is the League saying he can hang out on the PS, but not make the 53? Why couldn't he apply for a Green Card? Is this just PR? 

Yea I'm not quite sure on that. It doesn't make sense. I would think/hope there'd be SOME way he could have a chance to make a roster at some point in the future. Maybe he is just locked on PS for this year but could come off next year? If he's just perma-PS, there's no reason to try to develop him.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 02:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Was thinking the same thing. Cannot even make the 53, then what is the point?

NFL is working on international relationships with countries trying to get their football programs up and going from grade schools etc..

its to build international appeal....  Why they cant potentially play though is probly because they are assigned and not signed or drafted or chosen..

Vikings had offered him a contract apparently at one point.  apparently actually drafted him.. Which is cool.. but I wonder why hes assigned to this program and not just a free agent
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 02:29 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I guess I'm confused... (I know that doesn't surprise some of you), but I thought you had to be an NCAA athlete to be drafted. So the Vikings are drafting out of the German Football League?

Definitely not true. A rugby player from Australia (Jordan Mailata) was just drafted by the Eagles and did not play in the NCAA.
You have to be out of high school for 3+ years. There's no requirement to play in college, but it's typically considered the best due to the fact there really isn't a developmental league.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 02:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Yea I'm not quite sure on that. It doesn't make sense. I would think/hope there'd be SOME way he could have a chance to make a roster at some point in the future. Maybe he is just locked on PS for this year but could come off next year? If he's just perma-PS, there's no reason to try to develop him.

These players can sign with anyone once the season is over:

“This is an important part of the league's overall strategy to grow internationally. We are building this pathway program to provide international athletes with the opportunity to play in the league, which will increase the pool of talent, inspire others and ultimately drive fan growth."
Reply/Quote