Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals badly need a TE
(08-31-2023, 09:50 AM)TheFan Wrote: I guess we'll see with Washington. I'm not sure if he was really on their board given some of the injury redflags or whatever else pushed him so far down compared to what people thought. 

I didn't like the Battle pick when it happened and still am not a fan. I would have gone more towards a position of need and someone with more upside but I understand why they picked Battle since we didn't know what we had at safety. 

Didn't have to be Washington necessarily. I was just using him as an example since I personally liked him and thought he fit the offense.
I probably would have actually gone with Mayer, Washington, or LaPorta at 28 instead of MM, and I would have taken probably either Dawand Jones or Blake Freeland in the 3rd, as those were bigger positions of need (IMO) than DE and SAF. Or maybe Jaquelin Roy (DT LSU) in Rd 4 and a WR in Rd 3.
But I admittedly look far more into need than I should.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2023, 10:00 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Didn't have to be Washington necessarily. I was just using him as an example since I personally liked him and thought he fit the offense.
I probably would have actually gone with Mayer, Washington, or LaPorta at 28 instead of MM, and I would have taken probably either Dawand Jones or Blake Freeland in the 3rd, as those were bigger positions of need (IMO) than DE and SAF. Or maybe Jaquelin Roy (DT LSU) in Rd 4 and a WR in Rd 3.
But I admittedly look far more into need than I should.

I think there's definitely some merit to picking for need. Especially if players are close on the board. I believe the Bengals shared Miles was quite a bit higher on their board (in the teens) then anyone else so that's why they picked him. Plus we only had 1 more year for Henderson at the time. 

That said I personally wouldn't have been against any of the players you mentioned though in lieu of who we picked. I don't get quite as much into the draft in regards to self-scouting players so I didn't have many players in mind for those picks outside of what people here and the talking heads were mostly talking about. 
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2023, 10:11 AM)TheFan Wrote: I think there's definitely some merit to picking for need. Especially if players are close on the board. I believe the Bengals shared Miles was quite a bit higher on their board (in the teens) then anyone else so that's why they picked him. Plus we only had 1 more year for Henderson at the time. 

That said I personally wouldn't have been against any of the players you mentioned though in lieu of who we picked. I don't get quite as much into the draft in regards to self-scouting players so I didn't have many players in mind for those picks outside of what people here and the talking heads were mostly talking about. 

Did you mean Hendrickson?

He was signed through 2024, so the Bengals could have drafted a pass rusher early next year and still had a year to groom.
Or taken a pass rusher on Day 2 or even early Day 3 this year since they're gonna be in a rotation and get time to develop anyway.

Now, Hendrickson is signed through 2025, which will be the majority of Murphy's rookie contract.
Feels like an overly long time to keep a 1st rounder as a rotational player.

On the flip side, you could have had Mayer or LaPorta come in as a strong TE2 this year and take over starting gig next year after Smith's contract is up.
Could have also allowed for more 12 personnel looks with both Smith and Mayer/LaPorta out there, which may help the running game.

It is what it is now though, so hopefully Murphy really develops this year and emerges into a force within the next couple years.
Battle too.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
when we have productive (in catching) TE's, we go to the playoffs....
Reply/Quote
TE's take a while to develop. Show me the list of first round TE's that are great (with the team that drafted them) ?

I think the Bengals are fine with grabbing a seasoned TE that already knows how to play the position on short deals.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2023, 10:22 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Did you mean Hendrickson?

He was signed through 2024, so the Bengals could have drafted a pass rusher early next year and still had a year to groom.
Or taken a pass rusher on Day 2 or even early Day 3 this year since they're gonna be in a rotation and get time to develop anyway.

Now, Hendrickson is signed through 2025, which will be the majority of Murphy's rookie contract.
Feels like an overly long time to keep a 1st rounder as a rotational player.

On the flip side, you could have had Mayer or LaPorta come in as a strong TE2 this year and take over starting gig next year after Smith's contract is up.
Could have also allowed for more 12 personnel looks with both Smith and Mayer/LaPorta out there, which may help the running game.

It is what it is now though, so hopefully Murphy really develops this year and emerges into a force within the next couple years.
Battle too.

Yes, sorry Hendrickson lol No idea where Henderson came from. Ah, for some reason I thought this was his last year and we signed him to 1 more. Not disagreeing with anything you said though. I was hoping we would draft a TE with one of our first 2 picks. 
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2023, 08:02 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: So what. Zac can love TE's and know how to use them, but at the current time, we have arguably the best WR trio in the League, so a TE isn't going to be all that important in our current scheme.  ZT even said in a presser they wanted to draft a TE but when it was their turn to draft, TE wasn't BPA and they weren't going to reach for one.  Everyone knows this stuff, so why are you trying so hard? 

All of that was true pre-draft. Tight end didn’t go from being a first round need in April to not important in August. Those conditions you listed have remained a constant. Only the story has changed.

The Bengals coaches also said the pre-draft talk of drafting a TE didn’t come from them and they didn’t feel the need to draft a TE.

You think quoting someone is hard? What do you think is more difficult; writing War and Peace? Or quoting it? It’s always more difficult to write the stories.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2023, 11:31 AM)Mgbrown66 Wrote: TE's take a while to develop.   Show me the list of first round TE's that are great (with the team that drafted them) ?

I think the Bengals are fine with grabbing a seasoned TE that already knows how to play the position on short deals.

Here's a list of TEs drafted in the 1st round in the past 10 years.  I'll let you decide if they're great or not.

Attached Files Image(s)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2023, 11:03 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: when we have productive (in catching) TE's, we go to the playoffs....

Like the last two seasons?
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2023, 02:00 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Really? Let me check with my insider . . .

LMAO

Yeah, tight ends just aren’t valuable.  Except Zac Taylor loves tight ends, wouldn’t let a tight end go to waste, and the plan was to draft a position of little value in the first round.

Is there any topic you can’t contradict yourself about?

Wait. If Zac loves someone, isn't that the most important thing, regardless of their production?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote