Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals been in contact with Trai Turner
I am not sure why anyone would say Turner is boom or bust. He is coming off bad year in buyer's market, so likley not a huge contract from anyone and not huge guarantees.

I am glad we are looking at experienced proven guards, we can sign one and also draft one in round 2 or 3.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 10:29 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I am not sure why anyone would say Turner is boom or bust. He is coming off bad year in buyer's market, so likley not a huge contract from anyone and not huge guarantees.

I am glad we are looking at experienced proven guards, we can sign one and also draft one in round 2 or 3.

Yes, if we draft Sewell/slater 1, and Wyatt Davis 2, we could solidify our line for this year and years to come.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 10:24 AM)BobJones4980 Wrote: Why would they not go far? Dude was literally rated as one of the worst Guards in the NFL last season, if he's expecting big money then we should be out. He should expect a prove it type deal not really anything more.

Like any athlete, or person in general, I'm pretty sure that he and his agent set his value according to his entire body of work, rather than based upon one bad, injured season in a system he was inserted into.

What number would you put on a "prove it" type deal for a Guard with his skillset and accomplishments?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 10:29 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I am not sure why anyone would say Turner is boom or bust. He is coming off bad year in buyer's market, so likley not a huge contract from anyone and not huge guarantees.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 10:33 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Like any athlete, or person in general, I'm pretty sure that he and his agent set his value according to his entire body of work, rather than based upon one bad, injured season in a system he was inserted into.

What number would you put on a "prove it" type deal for a Guard with his skillset and accomplishments?

1 year 3-5 mill

I wouldn't hate signing but the idea of a spending too much for a guy who was just alright his last year in Carolina and was downright terrible in LA doesn't seem like the best move for the team. 

Hopefully he can bounce back to average and be a good player but this league seems to judge guys on what they have done recently and not as much about what they did 2-3 years ago.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 11:05 AM)BobJones4980 Wrote: 1 year 3-5 mill

I wouldn't hate signing but the idea of a spending too much for a guy who was just alright his last year in Carolina and was downright terrible in LA doesn't seem like the best move for the team. 

Hopefully he can bounce back to average and be a good player but this league seems to judge guys on what they have done recently and not as much about what they did 2-3 years ago.

We're not too far apart in our thinking.  He's only 27, so his body should recover.  One thing that jumps out at me, is that over his career, he averages a penalty for about every 200 snaps.  That's pretty good discipline.  Personally, I'd like to see a guy like him signed to a 2-3 year, front loaded deal.  That way if he regains top form, the team still has some leverage to keep him around while a prospect develops.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 11:15 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: We're not too far apart in our thinking.  He's only 27, so his body should recover.  One thing that jumps out at me, is that over his career, he averages a penalty for about every 200 snaps.  That's pretty good discipline.  Personally, I'd like to see a guy like him signed to a 2-3 year, front loaded deal.  That way if he regains top form, the team still has some leverage to keep him around while a prospect develops.

Yea I could live with that, hopefully a contract that makes it easy to cut him if things don't work out.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 11:05 AM)BobJones4980 Wrote: 1 year 3-5 mill

All i know is the FA market for Guards is drying up and yes he seems risky but with a potential BIG reward....right now thinking about our interior O lineman has me very nervous....we have an njured Hopkins, + Price, Jordan, XSF and some unsigned guys like Spain. This specific weakness is what got Burrow injured....So yes Im good with bringing in someone that may instantly upgrade us and we go into the draft and pick up a guy like Creed Humphrey (G/C) and we are potentially set for a while.    
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 11:18 AM)BobJones4980 Wrote: Yea I could live with that, hopefully a contract that makes it easy to cut him if things don't work out.

That's why I suggested a front loaded contract.  However, with extensions for guys like Bates and Hubbard looming, I could also understand why the team might want to reserve a little cash.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 10:18 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: If the price is right I see no reason not to bring this guy in.

He's only 27 and he's suffered no major injuries throughtout his career.  He's also already made 89 starts despite his relatively young age

All I know is he is probably better than any single guard we currently have on the team.  He's probably still better than XSF.  He's definitely better than Michael Jordan.  He's better than moving Fred Jackson or Adeniji inside.

I wouldn't pay him a ton of  money.  Maybe somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-6 mil????  Worst case scenario, you pick up some depth for the OL and a spot starter.  Best case scenario, you rented a former Pro-Bowler who returns to form, and resets his market here playing at a huge discount.

With this guy still being young, and being a formerly high paid player, I would bet that he's going to do everything he can to get one more big payday in this league.  So that probably means he's going to take a 1 year deal, maybe two at the most, and look to reset his market.

It's worth a shot at this point.  We don't have a ton of options out there right now.

Agree.. he has proven he can perform at a strong level plus he is 27.. little risk if we get him for a good price compared to the reward
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 09:18 AM)BobJones4980 Wrote: He's was bad last year and average at best the year before that despite being voted into the pro bowl according to alot of Panthers fans I know.

I think if it's reasonably cheap it's worth the risk, we know he can be good, question is was it injury or the fact he took it easy after getting paid that caused his play to dip.

If it was just a nagging injury he could be a good signing, if not I'm sure it'll be cheap enough we can easily move on.

I think it was Groin and ankle injury.  Groin injury can linger but he would have to pass physical.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote

Yes, what Luvnit said, he was also injured last year, had 2 injuries and the Wuhan virus threw everyone for a loop.

Throw last year out the window, Trai is only 27 and could return to his All Pro form.
Reply/Quote