Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals brilliant in taking Kicker Elliot over Gonzalez
(04-29-2017, 09:21 PM)magikod Wrote: I just wish we would have taken him in the 7th round...

But some other team may have taken him much higher.
Reply/Quote
I watched the press conference the Bengals had after they selected the kicker.

Simmons explained that all 3 kickers he worked out were about the same and that it came down to one or two things as a tiebreaker and he explains why he chose Elliot over the others. It makes sense to me. Simmons has done a great job coaching. I'm not going to second guess him on this. He doesn't deserve it and has earned the right to have the players he wants. I think that, in general, the Bengals ST units have been pretty darned good over the years.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 11:10 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I watched the press conference the Bengals had after they selected the kicker.

Simmons explained that all 3 kickers he worked out were about the same and that it came down to one or two things as a tiebreaker and he explains why he chose Elliot over the others. It makes sense to me. Simmons has done a great job coaching. I'm not going to second guess him on this. He doesn't deserve it and has earned the right to have the players he wants. I think that, in general, the Bengals ST units have been pretty darned good over the years.

My understanding of the Elliot pick came down to basically two facets:
1-Elliot has a calm demeanor and carries himself well
2-Elliot can kickoff high if needed to keep ball in play or kick it out of the end-zone. 
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 04:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. IF we wanted this guy...we could have got him in the 6th or 7th Round and taken other contributors.

I agree with you to a point, but have no problem with us using a 5 on a guy that will be a factor in every game this year.  He is a starting player, and has a key role....Just think Nugent!

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 04:20 PM)BoBengal Wrote: His kickoffs are very weak.  If you watched the game when he made the long FG-- he had about a 20 mph wind at his back.  

Anything outside of 44-45 yards will be "iffy at best" for him.

Most of his kickoffs went for touchbacks in college..

Here we try and drop it at the 1 most the time to stop them before the 25 yard line
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 04:20 PM)BoBengal Wrote: His kickoffs are very weak.  If you watched the game when he made the long FG-- he had about a 20 mph wind at his back.  

Anything outside of 44-45 yards will be "iffy at best" for him.

From 40-49 yds... 2013 4 for 5, 2014 3 for 8, 2015 8 for 9 and 2016 10 for 12......
From 50+ yds... 2013 3 for 3, 2014 3 for 8, 2015 2 for 2, and 2016 2 for 3...
Outside of a bad (relatively speaking) year in 2014, I'd say that a little better than "iffy"
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2017, 04:15 PM)Sled21 Wrote: From 40-49 yds... 2013 4 for 5, 2014 3 for 8, 2015 8 for 9 and 2016 10 for 12......
From 50+ yds... 2013 3 for 3, 2014 3 for 8, 2015 2 for 2, and 2016 2 for 3...
Outside of a bad (relatively speaking) year in 2014, I'd say that a little better than "iffy"

When I look at college stats, I don't consider anything beyond their past two seasons.
The most recent season is the most important obviously, and then you look to the season before that for consistency sake. Anything before those two is not really worthwhile given they likely were 18-19 years old at the time and still learning/growing a lot.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Wonder what the deal was with this kid in 2014.
Reply/Quote
Some posters seem to just be butthurt that the Bengals didn't select Gonzalez. Give Elliott a chance, it's not like we have any solid kicker in place here.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 04:02 PM)BoBengal Wrote: It's sad because we could have used/traded that pick for a true contributor.  There's a high chance that NO ONE would have drafted him.  He could have competed for basically free as an undrafted free agent.

My crystal ball tells me Bullock wins the kicking competition for next season.  He did well for us, only missing the one kick that we later found out was due to a poorly communicated timing-change for the delayed snap count.

I also think Bullock will win out....I also agree w/ could of signed Elliot as a FA...
after the draft I read a report that ripped Elliot as very weak on longer kicks & how the Bengals should of picked the #1 ranked kicker, Gonzalez....
of course the bengals said otherwise.....
 i say lets keep an eye on Gonzalez....we'll see him kick twice a year as he's now w/ the Browns....
maybe the bengals picked the right guy....but I just am not a big fan of "smallish kickers"......right now I think the Bengals made a mistake....
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2017, 07:43 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Some posters seem to just be butthurt that the Bengals didn't select Gonzalez. Give Elliott a chance, it's not like we have any solid kicker in place here.

it's not about butthurt..
it's more like common sense
Elliot is a smallish guy...
Gonzalez isn't....
Gonzalez was the #1 ranked kicker....
we picked Elliot & he probably would of gone undrafted....so if nothing else we wasted a 5th rd draft pick....
we'll have to face Gonzalez 2 times per yr....this pick could cost us games in the future...if the Browns can convert 50+ yrd field goals while we have to punt from he 45 yrd line & out.....
WE PLAY TO WIN THE GAME  !!!!
you don't win by making dumb picks....
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2017, 08:13 PM)Steve Wrote: it's not about butthurt..
Gonzalez isn't....
we picked Elliot & he probably would of gone undrafted....so if nothing else we wasted a 5th rd draft pick....
we'll have to face Gonzalez 2 times per yr....this pick could cost us games in the future...if the Browns can convert 50+ yrd field goals while we have to punt from he 45 yrd line & out.....

I'm interested to hear where you got this little nugget of intel.
Reply/Quote
During the pick, I smoked with an indian chief and an eagle landed on my penis. The chief said, "That a good Sign." Therefore, I am good with this pick.

Reply/Quote
I'd like to see the amount of film you all have arduously went through on kickers so you all can talk about who the best one is

I'm sure our Special teams coach, who is arguably top 5 in the league, has no idea
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2017, 08:13 PM)Steve Wrote: it's not about butthurt..
Gonzalez isn't....

I still don't know why people are arguing about how much larger one guy is than the other. 

If our kicker has to try to make a tackle, aren't we already losing on the return? Is Gonzalez going to bodyslam the return guy? I'm betting that no, he isn't. Small kickers do fine in this league. He's probably a lot better than the Nuge and if he beats bullock out of the starting spot what are you going to say? 

We should have still taken this other guy? I'll wait and see on how well the kickers do before saying we should have taken someone else. 

And where have you read that this guy was going undrafted?
Reply/Quote
from Derricks post:

"Elliott never missed a field goal from 30 yards or shorter in college and hit kicks from 40 yards or under at an 80 percent clip."

Kid should be money on extra points and chip shots FG's

Simmons is the best in the business..........if he likes Elliott- so do I
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2017, 08:54 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: During the pick, I smoked with an indian chief and an eagle landed on my penis. The chief said, "That a good Sign." Therefore, I am good with this pick.

I guess that Indian chief left out any mention of those sharp claws eagles have, huh? Did the eagle rip it off, fly away and feed it to its young? 
I gotta tell you, that sounds a tad painful. 
If an eagle lands on my pecker it better be for a better reason than a 5th round draft pick. Lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-09-2017, 11:35 PM)grampahol Wrote: If an eagle lands on my pecker it better be for a better reason than a 5th round draft pick. Lol

Or a kicker. HEHE. Should have saved that one for something more significant. Damnit ALCOHOL!

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 04:31 PM)Au165 Wrote: Because te 4th round guard we took last year who was a much better prospect has contributed so much right? 

And that Guard will be a starter this year.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2017, 11:38 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: And that Guard will be a starter this year.

I think he was a 5th rounder, and he will have to beat out Alex Redmond.  It could happen, but he isn't being handed the position.  
Reply/Quote