Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals brilliant in taking Kicker Elliot over Gonzalez
Reminds me a lot of the Levi Jones pick.
Experts say: Bengals got it wrong again.
Bengals get a great LT for several years, until his knees give out.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
So now we draft kickers for their tackling abilities?? We got the right kicker.
Reply/Quote
I don't know it still bothers me that the team did not pick Gonzales. I have to trust the special teams coach on this one. Jim breech with small in a rarely missed from 40 yards in. Something else to keep in mind how often has Marvin Lewis gone for a field goal Beyond 50-55 yards?

Kickers appear to have a hard time kicking in Pittsburgh. I don't know if it's the field conditions or the wind. But it would seem prudent to have a kicker who is used to cold weather.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(05-09-2017, 08:54 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: During the pick, I smoked with an indian chief and an eagle landed on my penis. The chief said, "That a good Sign." Therefore, I am good with this pick.

The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
The problem with drafting kickers is probably half the great kickers in the NFL weren't draft. It's a waste, period.

Will Lutz? Could've had him and he will end up a top 5 kicker in the NFL. Saints got him as an UDFA in August.
Reply/Quote
I don't know...everything I read has Gonzales as the best kicking prospect and an elite prospect.

Obviously no guarantee that he turns into a good Pro.

Elliot was the 2nd ranked kicking prospect.

Atleast the Bengals didn't go out and select the 12th ranked kicker.
Reply/Quote
Good things are coming. Good things! Love it!

Reply/Quote
I think the majority of you on this thread that don't like this pick fail to realize who was perhaps the most successful and prolific kicker for the Bengals was - Jim Breech. Being a long time fan and season ticket holder who attended both super bowls, Breech was a whopping 5'6" and weighted 160 pounds. Ironically he wore a  SIZE 5 SHOE on his kicking foot when he normally wore a size 7.

Believe his longest field made was 53 yards. I get that in todays game you have to kick it much further but if you watch the video this kid can kick it from 60 with a little room to spare

So like some are saying I trust Simmons saw some intangible in this kid to draft him.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2017, 08:29 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I'm interested to hear where you got this little nugget of intel..
common sense...
 if the #1 ranked kicker, Gonzalez went in rd # 7 then Elliot would of probably gone undrafted....
small body small leg.....not good on longer kicks...& Cincy is a cold weather town....
Browns picked Gonzalez....
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2017, 09:32 PM)Steve Wrote: common sense...
 if the #1 ranked kicker, Gonzalez went in rd # 7 then Elliot would of probably gone undrafted....
small body small leg.....not good on longer kicks...& Cincy is a cold weather town....

Who is to say Gonzalez was the #1 ranked kicker to most NFL teams?
Reply/Quote

I'm interested to hear where you got this little nugget of intel..
Reply/Quote

So you wanted to take a kicker who has the advantage of kicking at higher altitude, dryer air to come kick at sea level in cold weather. That makes no sense.... Watch the video again of Elliot kicking
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2017, 09:53 PM)eoxyod Wrote: Who is to say Gonzalez was the #1 ranked kicker to most NFL teams?

he WAS  the #1 ranked kicked, period....

kinda like saying the earth is round & not flat....
common knowledge....
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2017, 12:32 AM)Steve Wrote: he WAS  the #1 ranked kicked, period....

common knowledge....

Common kmowledge to whom?
Reply/Quote

common knowledge....

Just because some draft magazine said as much doesn't mean that is what NFL teams felt regarding the kickers.

There were some of those publications that had Deshone Kiser as the #1 ranked QB and I think 4 went before him?
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 11:10 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I watched the press conference the Bengals had after they selected the kicker.

Simmons explained that all 3 kickers he worked out were about the same and that it came down to one or two things as a tiebreaker and he explains why he chose Elliot over the others. It makes sense to me. Simmons has done a great job coaching. I'm not going to second guess him on this. He doesn't deserve it and has earned the right to have the players he wants. I think that, in general, the Bengals ST units have been pretty darned good over the years.

I saw it too.  He said Elliott was much better on kickoffs and Gonzalez had mainly kicked in the Arizona climate, which is quite different from ours.  

I can't remember what school Elliott went to, but he broke all or almost all of Stephen Gostkowski's records there, and Gostkowski is a great kicker. That's a good sign.
Reply/Quote

common knowledge....

So the "experts" ranked them?  The same ones that are wrong so often?  I'll go with what Simmons has to say instead.
Reply/Quote
This thread is ludicrous. People are complaining we didn't take Gonzales after Simmons and his crew had the chance to see both kickers up close numerous times over and over. Do people really think one kicker kicking in Arizona and the other kicking in Memphis, Tn. is an even playing field? It doesn't matter what a kicker can do out west in a desert climate, it matters what he can do here in the Ohio River Valley. And since exactly when does anyone give a hoot in hell how big a kicker is? As long as he has a big leg, and Elliott does, who cares? We got the kicker best suited to kick in the AFCN..... period.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2017, 06:28 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Just because some draft magazine said as much doesn't mean that is what NFL teams felt regarding the kickers.

There were some of those publications that had Deshone Kiser as the #1 ranked QB and I think 4 went before him?
i'm just not a big fan of SMALL kickers....
I want a bigger guy who can kick longer field goals.....

& imo rankings do matter....Gonzalez was ranked as the #1 kicker for a reason...but many will ignor that....
lets watch how Gonzales does w/ the Browns....& how Bullock kicks for us....b/c I bet Elliot doesn't even make the team....
Reply/Quote

You have no idea how he was ranked by NFL teams.

If the Bengals had him ranked higher than Gonzalez then there is a good chance lots of other teams did also.
Reply/Quote