Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals can create more cap space in 2021, by extending players this week.
Will they?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 11:39 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Will they?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I don't recall the Bengals ever extending someone in the middle of the season, but perhaps that's just me being forgetful?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 11:51 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't recall the Bengals ever extending someone in the middle of the season, but perhaps that's just me being forgetful?

Katie is usually pretty good when it comes to the money part of players deals. I'm betting she's on it.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 11:51 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't recall the Bengals ever extending someone in the middle of the season, but perhaps that's just me being forgetful?

I believe both Carson Palmer and Chad Johnson did so.
Reply/Quote

Carson Palmer got his huge contract extension at the very end of the '05 season.
Reply/Quote
Reply/Quote
Seems like this would make a lot of sense for Jackson and/or Lawson.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 12:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Carson Palmer got his huge contract extension at the very end of the '05 season.

Ahh. I just started watching the Bengals during that year's playoff game, so if it happened just before that, I would have missed it.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Whom do you extend? Lawson? Good when healthy, injured a lot. I like WJIII but the board loathes him. Allen? I think he's a capable backup.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
The big issue is it takes time to do these contracts slapping one together in just a couple of days won't work. While I've never signed a professional sports contract I have dealt with several mineral related ones and they take months.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 12:29 PM)Synric Wrote: The big issue is it takes time to do these contracts slapping one together in just a couple of days won't work. While I've never signed a professional sports contract I have dealt with several mineral related ones and they take months.

I'm sure if they are going to do it, they have already been working on it.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 12:28 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Whom do you extend? Lawson? Good when healthy, injured a lot. I like WJIII but the board loathes him. Allen? I think he's a capable backup.

I mean, depending on cap situation...they're both worth extending.

I see Jackson as the best CB on some lists.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 12:32 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm sure if they are going to do it, they have already been working on it.

Yep. And this window didn't just open up this week. It's been open for a while and actually closes after this week.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 12:18 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I don't know if they were allowed to roll over unused cap space back in 2005, but I think that is the reason they gave Carson that big extension.  I think they actually adjusted his '05 salary with unused cap dollars instead of just prorating the signing bonus over a longer period.
Reply/Quote
What about extending Bates early?

Reply/Quote
I'd at least offer WJIII something competitive, before he hits the open market.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 01:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know if they were allowed to roll over unused cap space back in 2005, but I think that is the reason they gave Carson that big extension.  I think they actually adjusted his '05 salary with unused cap dollars instead of just prorating the signing bonus over a longer period.

Yeah, I think rollover cash happened with the CBA in the 2010's. The same one that put in the floor. But, you could do an extension and count towards the current years cap.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 01:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'd at least offer WJIII something competitive, before he hits the open market.

Depends on if he wants to be here. Rumors are he doesn't. We need to dump all the players, like Dunlap, who don't want to be here and replace them with players who do. Jackson, who I like, is not irreplaceable.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 01:09 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Depends on if he wants to be here. Rumors are he doesn't. We need to dump all the players, like Dunlap, who don't want to be here and replace them with players who do.

Or dump the coaches that are making players not want to be here...

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 01:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know if they were allowed to roll over unused cap space back in 2005, but I think that is the reason they gave Carson that big extension.  I think they actually adjusted his '05 salary with unused cap dollars instead of just prorating the signing bonus over a longer period.

You are correct.  And this was preferred by Carson.  As I recall, he wanted to minimize the impact of his salary by front loading it as much as possible in years that could eliminate dead cap money in future years.  I think that was part of the reason he was pissed management tagged Graham and let TJ walk as a free agent.
Reply/Quote