Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals chess champion
The self-proclaimed chess champion in the Bengals locker room is Awuzie...so there is a game JoeyB can lose at

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I'll take 'em on.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
1. e4
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
I was a chess nut back in the day, haven't played in many years.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2022, 02:59 PM)Interceptor Wrote: 1. e4

You sunk my battleship!
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2022, 03:26 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I was a chess nut back in the day, haven't played in many years.

Were you ever roasted on an open fire?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I finished 8th in Ontario, in Grade 12 (the provincial finals were the top 10 in the whole province).

I still play frequently on my phone, but my wife doesn't want to play me anymore, as she's never beaten me LOL
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2022, 04:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Were you ever roasted on an open fire?

+rep for making a Christmas pun in January.
Reply/Quote
I wonder what chess books they read.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote

Rep.

I almost never give one of these, but this deserves a.  .  .  

Joe
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2022, 04:14 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I finished 8th in Ontario, in Grade 12 (the provincial finals were the top 10 in the whole province).

I still play frequently on my phone, but my wife doesn't want to play me anymore, as she's never beaten me LOL

We're not talking about Canadian rules chess.  They play real chess in the locker room.
Reply/Quote
This is neat. Always loved chess...I remember my dad getting Chessmaster 3000 and you could setup like massive tournaments against chess personalities/strategies....was so innovative back then (mid 90s). Taught both my kids to play.

i hate playing it now (online) since everyone runs chess simulators in the background and just mimic's the moves (at least that's what i'm convinced is happening). No way i ever lose a fair match. :)
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2022, 04:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We're not talking about Canadian rules chess.  They play real chess in the locker room.

Same everywhere Wink
Reply/Quote
I nearly flunked 5th grade because I had an odd obsession with chess. Played it all the time, mostly on my PC but loved embarrassing my friends and family at a game more than anything… strangely enough, I haven’t played since I was 12. Go figure
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2022, 04:25 PM)basballguy Wrote: i hate playing it now (online) since everyone runs chess simulators in the background and just mimic's the moves (at least that's what i'm convinced is happening).  No way i ever lose a fair match.  :)

They have pretty rigorous anti-cheat capabilities. This is detectable nowadays and will lead to a swift ban. Still, sometimes you see a move come out and you're just like WAIT WHAT
Reply/Quote
I've always wanted to learn the game, but never has the patience of someone to play against. I guess you can learn it online nowadays.
Reply/Quote
I learned how to play chess in high school and played with some of my friends, but I was never any good.

But one of my all-time favorite authors, Vladimir Nabokov, was a world-renowned chess player. He wrote really good book about a grandmaster who was so obsessed with chess that it basically becomes a mental illness. It is really interesting the way he describes how this guy's brain is working. I bet people who are better at chess than me would appreciate it even more. it is called "the Defense" or "The Luzhin Defense".

Chess plays a really big role in "The Yiddish Policemen's Union". There are certain things in it just for chess players, but it is not really about chess like "The Defense". TYPU is an awesome book. I like it so much I just bought it for my sister for Christmas.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2022, 05:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I learned how to play chess in high school and played with some of my friends, but I was never any good.

But one of my all-time favorite authors, Vladimir Nabokov, was a world-renowned chess player.  He wrote really good book about a grandmaster who was so obsessed with chess that it basically becomes a mental illness.  It is really interesting the way he describes how this guy's brain is working.  I bet people who are better at chess than me would appreciate it even more.  it is called "the Defense" or "The Luzhin Defense".

Chess plays a really big role in "The Yiddish Policemen's Union".  There are certain things in it just for chess players, but it is not really about chess like "The Defense".  TYPU is an awesome book.  I like it so much I just bought it for my sister for Christmas.

The story is based off of Curt von Bardeleben. He apparently committed suicide by jumping out of a window in the 1920s. Very strong player. 
Reply/Quote

Haha  Hilarious Hilarious I see what you did there.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2022, 05:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I learned how to play chess in high school and played with some of my friends, but I was never any good.

But one of my all-time favorite authors, Vladimir Nabokov, was a world-renowned chess player.  He wrote really good book about a grandmaster who was so obsessed with chess that it basically becomes a mental illness.  It is really interesting the way he describes how this guy's brain is working.  I bet people who are better at chess than me would appreciate it even more.  it is called "the Defense" or "The Luzhin Defense".

Chess plays a really big role in "The Yiddish Policemen's Union".  There are certain things in it just for chess players, but it is not really about chess like "The Defense".  TYPU is an awesome book.  I like it so much I just bought it for my sister for Christmas.

I read Chabon's Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, and loved it, but I never got around to that book or any of his other works.  Maybe in retirement.   
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote