Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals claim DT Christian Ringo
(09-07-2017, 09:08 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Draft picks after round 4 in my opinion are a huge crap shoot. the % who end up as starters is extremely low. So I like the idea of 11 picks versus 7 picks. It allows us to see more guys in camp and then make a decision. If 5 of 7 guys make a team, the draft % success is 71.4%. If 8 guys make the team out of 11, the draft success is a little higher at 73% and you get 8 players versus 5 in this scenario.

But...if the hit rate is that low on guys after Round 4...and I agree with you that it's low...would it hurt to lose a guy who was pretty good to free agency and sign a replacement in free agency foregoing the compensatory pick?

Someone posted the compensatory picks we've gotten under Lewis. I don't believe that a single one was ever a starter.

So we're losing starters and not replacing them in free agency basically to get a special teamer.
Reply/Quote
I just looked at his draft profile.

He's also a long-snapper.

He's not a DT. He's a 6 foot 1, 277 lb DE. It says he has good quickness and is an adequate athlete.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/christian-ringo?id=2553447
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 09:30 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I just looked at his draft profile.

He's also a long-snapper.

He's not a DT. He's a 6 foot 1, 277 lb DE. It says he has good quickness and is an adequate athlete.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/christian-ringo?id=2553447

He's a DT now. Up to 298 lbs.

Quote:6-foot-1, 298-pound defensive tackle
http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-player-feature/article-1/Christian-Ringo-putting-it-all-on-the-line-this-summer/0dbdbd92-d0fd-4cd6-b029-ccc5127e0360
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Interesting. I wonder if the long-snapping factors in at all?

The Bengals love the 6 foot 1 DT.

I wonder if they're not sure how Billings will perform?
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 09:44 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Interesting. I wonder if the long-snapping factors in at all?

I would bet more on the fact the Bengals essentially have three NT and need someone a little more proficient at pass rushing besides Geno.
Sims is what he is and in the last year of his contract.
Billings, so far, has been identified as a 2-down stuffer. Pass rush needs work.
Glasgow isn't really a dominant rusher or stuffer, just a good football player.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 09:08 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Draft picks after round 4 in my opinion are a huge crap shoot. the % who end up as starters is extremely low. So I like the idea of 11 picks versus 7 picks. It allows us to see more guys in camp and then make a decision. If 5 of 7 guys make a team, the draft % success is 71.4%. If 8 guys make the team out of 11, the draft success is a little higher at 73% and you get 8 players versus 5 in this scenario.

OR... 7 picks instead of 11, and then you grab/retain yourself some proven NFL talent in FA. Andrew Whitworth vs JJ Dielman, Jeremy Maclin vs Paul Dawson, Reggie Nelson vs Mason Schreck, etc. That shouldn't be a tough choice.

(09-07-2017, 09:25 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: But...if the hit rate is that low on guys after Round 4...and I agree with you that it's low...would it hurt to lose a guy who was pretty good to free agency and sign a replacement in free agency foregoing the compensatory pick?

Someone posted the compensatory picks we've gotten under Lewis. I don't believe that a single one was ever a starter.

So we're losing starters and not replacing them in free agency basically to get a special teamer.

Made that list, and actually there were two players who were starters, but they were from the '04 and '07 drafts (Landon Johnson and Chinedum Ndukwe).

They weren't very good, yet they are both still the extreme exceptions to that list. 23 comp picks under Lewis. Those two started a combined 84 games. 3 of the picks are from this year. The other 18 picks started a combined 19 games. When Andre Caldwell (14 of those 19 starts) is the third best on your list, your list sucks. Lol

20 comp picks under Marvin (sans 2017) spent a total of 32 years on the Bengals (I counted partial seasons as a season), being active for 350 games, and starting 103 of them. The 17 picks not named Landon Johnson, Chinedum Ndukwe, or Andre Caldwell spent a total of 20 years on the Bengals, being active for 182 games, starting 5 of them.
-18 never started a full seasons total worth of games in their Bengals career.
-16 never started more than 1 game in their Bengals career.
-14 never started a single game in their Bengals career.
-8 were never even active for a single game in their Bengals career.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 06:52 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I don't get it. If we wanted a DE/DT tweener for 1 game, why not keep Gillberry or Hardison? Is Ringo supposed to give us some inside info on the Packers?

My guess is he was someone they had on their draft board at one time and they're kicking the tires to see if there is any potential.  Or could be as you indicate a source for inside info.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 10:01 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: OR... 7 picks instead of 11, and then you grab/retain yourself some proven NFL talent in FA. Andrew Whitworth vs JJ Dielman, Jeremy Maclin vs Paul Dawson, Reggie Nelson vs Mason Schreck, etc. That shouldn't be a tough choice.

Made that list, and actually there were two players who were starters, but they were from the '04 and '07 drafts (Landon Johnson and Chinedum Ndukwe).

They weren't very good, yet they are both still the extreme exceptions to that list. 23 comp picks under Lewis. Those two started a combined 84 games. 3 of the picks are from this year. The other 18 picks started a combined 19 games. When Andre Caldwell (14 of those 19 starts) is the third best on your list, your list sucks. Lol

20 comp picks under Marvin (sans 2017) spent a total of 32 years on the Bengals (I counted partial seasons as a season), being active for 350 games, and starting 103 of them. The 17 picks not named Landon Johnson, Chinedum Ndukwe, or Andre Caldwell spent a total of 20 years on the Bengals, being active for 182 games, starting 5 of them.

And some guys start here because we don't sign free agents and our roster was bad. Bodine would have NEVER started as a rookie on most NFL teams. Heck - we bench rookies at other positions who are better than Bodine their rookie year.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 09:44 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Interesting. I wonder if the long-snapping factors in at all?

Ringo is a 3T here. 
He and Billings are not related. 

Billings, Glasgow and Sims are NT. 

DL depth chart is probably like:

NT: 
Sims
Billings
Glasgow

UT:
Atkins
Ringo

Michael Johnson gets reps in pass situations but we still needed a backup to Geno in base downs 
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 11:18 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: My guess is he was someone they had on their draft board at one time and they're kicking the tires to see if there is any potential.  Or could be as you indicate a source for inside info.

He has practice squad eligibility as well...   which might be what they are looking at as they could cut him around burficts return
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 10:01 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: OR... 7 picks instead of 11, and then you grab/retain yourself some proven NFL talent in FA. Andrew Whitworth vs JJ Dielman, Jeremy Maclin vs Paul Dawson, Reggie Nelson vs Mason Schreck, etc. That shouldn't be a tough choice.

Yeah but you have to run with draft picks on your team...  Nelson getting long in the tooth and expensive when we had young Safteys they believed were the futher riding the pine and had to make a choice.

Whitworth the same way when you got a 1st round tackle waiting.

You cant just not use the high end talent you draft let it rot on the bench then not be able to know enough to keep them as your future or let them go.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 01:39 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Ringo is a 3T here. 
He and Billings are not related. 

Billings, Glasgow and Sims are NT. 

DL depth chart is probably like:

NT: 
Sims
Billings
Glasgow

UT:
Atkins
Ringo

Michael Johnson gets reps in pass situations but we still needed a backup to Geno in base downs 

This concerns me, and I wonder which two players will be in jeopardy of being cut when Jones and Burfict are activated.
I would expect Nickerson dropped, but there's also NO logical reason for having three NTs on the roster.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

We know the Bengals prefer to retain their own vs outside FA...or at least a select few high performers and some mediocre talent.
But somewhat related to your point, the Bengals could have also traded up with having so many extra picks, resulting in some more picks in the early-mid rounds.
Those comp picks actually have more use now compared to previous years in that they can be traded.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 02:38 PM)ochocincos Wrote: This concerns me, and I wonder which two players will be in jeopardy of being cut when Jones and Burfict are activated.
I would expect Nickerson dropped, but there's also logical reason for having three NTs on the roster.

The TE and Nickerson are my guesses. Unless one of them just shows up HUGE 
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 03:58 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: The TE and Nickerson are my guesses. Unless one of them just shows up HUGE 

Lol I totally forgot about that TE. Then yea, I think the same.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
He'll probably be inactive for a couple of weeks and then rotate nickel 3T snaps with MJ.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2017, 06:45 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Ringo is a star.

A rep and a groan.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2017, 03:58 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: The TE and Nickerson are my guesses. Unless one of them just shows up HUGE 

Yup, the other dude listed as an H-B
Reply/Quote

The part you're missing is that having more draft picks opens up your draft board, which plays into a BPA drafting philosophy.  Having fewer picks forces a team's hand into drafting for need to fill their depth chart, while having more picks lets you grab a bargain and fill those depth needs later.

Case in point, this year the Bengals probably don't roll the dice on Carl Lawson in the 4th after taking Willis in the third if they didn't have extra 4th rounders to draft a DT.  

They did retain and bring in "proven" players.  They resigned Dre, extended Burfict, signed Andre and Minter in FA, and traded for Smith.  Just because they didn't retain or sign some/all of the guys you wanted doesn't mean they bring in vets.  And honestly, a couple of really bad FA contracts hurts your team a lot more than 5th rounders not making the roster.
Reply/Quote
Wish I knew more about him, but I didn't know about Chris Smith and he really surprised me

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote