Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Bengals could still win 10 games
(12-06-2023, 11:47 AM)kevin Wrote: Browning is looking OK at QB, and Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Mixon with McPherson.  Bengals have Colts, Vikings, Browns in THE JUNGLE and Steelers and Browns have their own quarterback injury problems.  So Bengals still winning 10 games is not wishful thinking by a die hard Bengals fan like me.  The Bengals who have went to back to back AFC Championships showed me something against Jacksonville.  This Team has the Players and The Pride to Win more games this season.  Chiefs are probably a loss, but rest of season are games Bengals could win.

Tiger

GO BENGALS

(12-06-2023, 11:59 AM)ochocincos Wrote: It's mainly the battle of the backups from here on out.

Indy I believe is still using Minshew.
Cleveland is using Flacco.
If Pickett is out for any length of time, it will be Trubisky for Pitt.
Dobbs for Minnesota.

If Bengals can continue morphing the offense to fit Browning, they do have a shot at having a winning season, possibly even 10 games as you said.
People are continuing to under value Browning. Like I pointed out last week, give the kid a chance with the starters and a couple of weeks of reps and he's a baller. They don't have to morph anything for him, he knows the system perfectly and is capable of running it. He just put up over 350 yds. and 31 points in regulation, against a team that was either sitting in or playing to be #1 seed in the AFC.... in their house. 86.5% percentage, the highest of any QB in their 1st or 2nd start. Chase is healthy, Tee is back, if Boyd could stop dropping the ball (love you Tyler) there's nobody on the schedule we can't beat. We won't win them all of course, but this team is still in the playoff hunt.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 02:38 PM)Sled21 Wrote: People are continuing to under value Browning. Like I pointed out last week, give the kid a chance with the starters and a couple of weeks of reps and he's a baller. They don't have to morph anything for him, he knows the system perfectly and is capable of running it. He just put up over 350 yds. and 31 points in regulation, against a team that was either sitting in or playing to be #1 seed in the AFC.... in their house. 86.5% percentage, the highest of any QB in their 1st or 2nd start. Chase is healthy, Tee is back, if Boyd could stop dropping the ball (love you Tyler) there's nobody on the schedule we can't beat. We won't win them all of course, but this team is still in the playoff hunt.

Man, I love your optimism.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 01:23 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Dude, how deflated would the Chiefs be if the Bengals beat them for the 4th time in 5 games but this time with a backup QB instead of Burrow? Smirk

LOL I’ve fought them on twitter they just respond with their super bowls
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Browning shocked me !! to say the least. And I hope it continues for sure. But I'm not going to crown him the top dog backup just yet. Lets see how he does next game first.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 02:38 PM)Sled21 Wrote: People are continuing to under value Browning. Like I pointed out last week, give the kid a chance with the starters and a couple of weeks of reps and he's a baller. They don't have to morph anything for him, he knows the system perfectly and is capable of running it. He just put up over 350 yds. and 31 points in regulation, against a team that was either sitting in or playing to be #1 seed in the AFC.... in their house. 86.5% percentage, the highest of any QB in their 1st or 2nd start. Chase is healthy, Tee is back, if Boyd could stop dropping the ball (love you Tyler) there's nobody on the schedule we can't beat. We won't win them all of course, but this team is still in the playoff hunt.

Was the offense not operating with different formations and playcalling compared to typical Burrow offense?
Thought someone said it was different Monday night.
I didn't watch the game because I didn't have interest prior and made other commitments.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

I don't know how if under value is proper term, since he had no track record in NFL and had not achieved much against Pitt, I don;t count the Ravens game at all, since he was thrown in there against a tough defense that had already put pressure on Burrow and were effective.

I did say though that we had more hope with Jacksonville since they dont come close at all to pressures and sacks like Balt and Pitt and very happy with what I saw from Browning and hope he can have two strong back to back games with a Colt team that also is not great in pressures and sacks.

We need to continue that protection to give him time to read the field, running the ball effectively is the key to helping a young QB, so i think we do those two things sunday and he continues to play low to turnover free at QB we have a shot to win Colts and Minn whose teams front lines are not great.
Reply/Quote
If we win this week and the Steelers beat the Colts, we can argue with them over which of us is going to humiliate the Chiefs and make Taylor Swift cry with our backup QBs. Hell, maybe Flacco and the Browns could too!

Look out KC, a backup QB led AFC North team is coming to humiliate you!
Reply/Quote

Browning has had one bad game and one very good game.  Lots of backups have a good game and then teams acquire tape and shut them down.  I suggest we allow Jake to string some good performances together before we go crowning him.  If he does well we can definitely makes some noise, be spoilers and possibly make the playoffs. 

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 04:40 PM)Nately120 Wrote: If we win this week and the Steelers beat the Colts, we can argue with them over which of us is going to humiliate the Chiefs and make Taylor Swift cry with our backup QBs. Hell, maybe Flacco and the Browns could too!

Look out KC, a backup QB led AFC North team is coming to humiliate you!

In situations like that.

All you can do is enter the game with bad intent

Yeah we may not win but we are gonna hit every play and we are gonna make sure that it gets chippy.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 01:48 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Kid Cudi or John Legend?

Kay Adams

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 04:44 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Browning has had one bad game and one very good game.  Lots of backups have a good game and then teams acquire tape and shut them down.  I suggest we allow Jake to string some good performances together before we go crowning him.  If he does well we can definitely makes some noise, be spoilers and possibly make the playoffs. 

What I liked was his accuracy. IMO the biggest drop off to backups is their accuracy. Oh he’s gonna make some bad decisions yet he’s also going to get better even though his completion % come down. He missed Tee Higgins on a post for a TD.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 04:44 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Browning has had one bad game and one very good game.  Lots of backups have a good game and then teams acquire tape and shut them down.  I suggest we allow Jake to string some good performances together before we go crowning him.  If he does well we can definitely makes some noise, be spoilers and possibly make the playoffs. 

No sir...I'm eating crow for doubting Browning, and Zac Taylor is sitting there wearing a dunce cap for not using the month prior to the season to get Browning ready to start over a Joe Burrow so hobbled that he had a statue's mobility and Garo Yepemian's passing technique.

We may not have a Brady/Bledsoe situation on our hands here, but we might be able to trade him for a 2nd round pick or an o-lineman and/or TE if he shows stuff like this...is Hue Jackson still involved somewhere?  He'll give us a king's ransom. Browning to the Falcons for Kyle Pitts and a pick. Make it so.
Reply/Quote

Locked on Bengals talked about this and about how some games are lucky and some games are just a QB knowing the system

They agreed that this wasn’t a luck game. Maybe his % being so high is lucky but the work he put in to learn the offense isn’t luck. That’s hard work.

Jordan Palmer did a show(don’t remember which one) where he said Browning reached out to him because he’s Burrows throwing coach and wanted to train with Jordan as well so he got the same training Burrow got. They worked together from January to July.

The issue with teams adjusting and trying to do things to confuse Browning is we have what i call a CONSTANT on the field almost every snap. JAMARR CHASE.

So WHATEVER adjustments come i guarantee these will NOT be one.

Teams aren’t gonna get outta 2 high

They aren’t gonna play more man blitz.

Teams will likely keep selling out to stop the run and they’ll likely stay in defenses they’ve been playing because the alternatives are playing more man blitz or single high, or relaxing against the run to have more ppl defending the pass. All those would be silly no matter who our QB is

Initially i think We’ll see waaaaay more blitzes and Indy will continue to sell out to stop the run

I think the philosophy of “no way he does that again” will be the prevailing sentiment from the Colts
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 04:20 PM)ochocincos Wrote:
Was the offense not operating with different formations and playcalling compared to typical Burrow offense?

Thought someone said it was different Monday night.
I didn't watch the game because I didn't have interest prior and made other commitments.

I don't think the formations were anything distinctly different. Browning may have been under center more, and he went deep with Chase, which for some reason Burrow has seemed to be reluctant to do this year. What I do think was different was Zac was calling run plays at the start to help Browning, but then then run game actually started working. Still, 350+ yards, 31 points and an 86.5 completion percentage will win the vast majority of NFL games. 
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 04:44 PM)casear2727 Wrote:
Browning has had one bad game and one very good game. 
Lots of backups have a good game and then teams acquire tape and shut them down.  I suggest we allow Jake to string some good performances together before we go crowning him.  If he does well we can definitely makes some noise, be spoilers and possibly make the playoffs. 

Yes, and I am going to attribute his not so great first NFL start, which was in front of the home crown, to jitters and trying to do too much..... until he proves different. He was much more composed this week. 
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 04:53 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: What I liked was his accuracy. IMO the biggest drop off to backups is their accuracy. Oh he’s gonna make some bad decisions yet he’s also going to get better even though his completion % come down. He missed Tee Higgins on a post for a TD.

Yeah, his passes to Chase, Irwin and Hudson were money hitting them right in stride. And he snuck one right between two defenders to Boyd (I think)
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 05:00 PM)Housh Wrote: Locked on Bengals talked about this and about how some games are lucky and some games are just a QB knowing the system

They agreed that this wasn’t a luck game. Maybe his % being so high is lucky but the work he put in to learn the offense isn’t luck. That’s hard work.

Jordan Palmer did a show(don’t remember which one) where he said Browning reached out to him because he’s Burrows throwing coach and wanted to train with Jordan as well so he got the same training Burrow got. They worked together from January to July.

The issue with teams adjusting and trying to do things to confuse Browning is we have what i call a CONSTANT on the field almost every snap. JAMARR CHASE.

So WHATEVER adjustments come i guarantee these will NOT be one.

Teams aren’t gonna get outta 2 high

They aren’t gonna play more man blitz.

Teams will likely keep selling out to stop the run and they’ll likely stay in defenses they’ve been playing because the alternatives are playing more man blitz or single high, or relaxing against the run to have more ppl defending the pass. All those would be silly no matter who our QB is

Initially i think We’ll see waaaaay more blitzes and Indy will continue to sell out to stop the run

I think the philosophy of “no way he does that again” will be the prevailing sentiment from the Colts

Good post.  I did see the Jordan Palmer interview and he tweeted about Jake.  He has always been accurate, his knock was not having a big enough arm to make all the throws, but he can survive being a Greg Maddux-type QB.

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 05:12 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't think the formations were anything distinctly different. Browning may have been under center more, and he went deep with Chase, which for some reason Burrow has seemed to be reluctant to do this year. What I do think was different was Zac was calling run plays at the start to help Browning, but then then run game actually started working. Still, 350+ yards, 31 points and an 86.5 completion percentage will win the vast majority of NFL games. 

Yea I know Browning was very successful, as was the run game.
From what I heard Bengals analysts tweeting about, the playcalling was different.
Browning was under center and using more play action compared to typical Burrow offense.
And then Chase Brown was given more opportunity, which helped establish the run game, which likely opened up the passing game.

So I think we agree that changes were made, but maybe "morphing" was a bit of an exaggerated term because some people might interpret that as going from something like an Air Coryell to a West Coast offense, which is not what I meant. Morphing can be small changes :)
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 11:31 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Yea I know Browning was very successful, as was the run game.
From what I heard Bengals analysts tweeting about, the playcalling was different.
Browning was under center and using more play action compared to typical Burrow offense.
And then Chase Brown was given more opportunity, which helped establish the run game, which likely opened up the passing game.

So I think we agree that changes were made, but maybe "morphing" was a bit of an exaggerated term because some people might interpret that as going from something like an Air Coryell to a West Coast offense, which is not what I meant. Morphing can be small changes :)

yep

You could tell and I don't mean just the not being in shotgun 90% of the time. There was a different cadence to the calls, different rhythm? They were using the run game fairly effectively. Sprinkling in some play action.

I'm hoping they continue to get C. Brown 10-12 touches a game. Spell Mixon a couple series. Mixon is a very good receiver he just isn't a game changing RB, we've been missing that. 
Reply/Quote

They had to change the offense alot for Browning. Coaches deserve alot of credit. But Browning deserves alot as well. He can't run Burrows offense but Burrow is tier 1 and we should probably be trying to take stuff off of his plate. Just keep going with what Browning has excelled at and this week should be a run heavy game plan which should help the play action game.
Reply/Quote