Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Bengals could still win 10 games
(12-06-2023, 04:39 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I did say though that we had more hope with Jacksonville since they dont come close at all to pressures and sacks like Balt and Pitt and very happy with what I saw from Browning and hope he can have two strong back to back games with a Colt team that also is not great in pressures and sacks.

Coming into this week, the Colts are 2nd in the league in sacks, at least according to NFL game previews on youtube
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 12:42 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Coming into this week, the Colts are 2nd in the league in sacks, at least according to NFL game previews on youtube

They are near the bottom in run defense (according to fantasy football ). So hopefully we run alot and continue with the play action. I think Brown should be in line for more carries in this game which should make everyone happy. Hopefully both backs do well and hopefully we see some more explosive runs from Brown.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 12:49 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: They are near the bottom in run defense (according to fantasy football ). So hopefully we run alot and continue with the play action. I think Brown should be in line for more carries in this game which should make everyone happy. Hopefully both backs do well and hopefully we see some more explosive runs from Brown.

I agree with this completely.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 05:12 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't think the formations were anything distinctly different. Browning may have been under center more, and he went deep with Chase, which for some reason Burrow has seemed to be reluctant to do this year. What I do think was different was Zac was calling run plays at the start to help Browning, but then then run game actually started working. Still, 350+ yards, 31 points and an 86.5 completion percentage will win the vast majority of NFL games. 

When you compare the Jax game to the Pitt game there was quite a bit of difference. Browning really seemed to struggle in his post snap reads against Pitt usually determining a receiver pre snap and locking on to him. They rolled Browning out and moved the pocket giving him one or two reads helping eliminate the need for post snap reads. They went from 12 empty sets against Pitt to 0 against Jax. They upped the play action from 25% to 45%. They actually seemed to scrap the lateral RPOs quickly instead throwing some vertical RPOs. They're were even more changes but these are the ones that stood out to me that I saw mentioned.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 12:58 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: When you compare the Jax game to the Pitt game there was quite a bit of difference. Browning really seemed to struggle in his post snap reads against Pitt usually determining a receiver pre snap and locking on to him. They rolled Browning out and moved the pocket giving him one or two reads helping eliminate the need for post snap reads. They went from 12 empty sets against Pitt to 0 against Jax. They upped the play action from 25% to 45%. They actually seemed to scrap the lateral RPOs quickly instead throwing some vertical RPOs. They're were even more changes but these are the ones that stood out to me that I saw mentioned.

I believe Aikman said Jake struggled with fixing the protection against the Steelers with 5 and just went to 6. He said that gave him less to worry about.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Oh yeah, let's put back to back wins together first, but this team has a ways to improve still especially on Defense with our vets.

Chido for example could get healthier and could play better, same with our LB's and such. Our young players in DJ Turner, Dax
and Battle should only get better, maybe even sprinkle Ivey in there with his length on TE's.

Anything can happen at this point and the teams we play all have backup QB's themselves besides the Chiefs and maybe the
stoolers. The Chiefs will be a tough game in their place and we all know it, but we always play them tough and Browning shown
that he can play on the road in a primetime game and play great.
Reply/Quote
It felt like the Bengals were hanging onto the cliff edge by their fingernails the last game. If not for Stone Cold Evan McPherson hitting that 54-yarder with a little over two minutes left in regulation or an honest referee calling that offensive holding on the 43-yard Beathard pass to the 2-yard line in overtime -- this would be a very different thread today. And then Browning with so many clutch 3rd and 4th down plays.

I could see why that game had such a big audience -- it was really entertaining from beginning to end.

I just hope the Bengals can pull off wins the next two weeks and then we can see what happens after that.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 04:01 PM)Nepa Wrote: It felt like the Bengals were hanging onto the cliff edge by their fingernails the last game. If not for Stone Cold Evan McPherson hitting that 54-yarder with a little over two minutes left in regulation or an honest referee calling that offensive holding on the 43-yard Beathard pass to the 2-yard line in overtime -- this would be a very different thread today. And then Browning with so many clutch 3rd and 4th down plays.

I could see why that game had such a big audience -- it was really entertaining from beginning to end.

I just hope the Bengals can pull off wins the next two weeks and then we can see what happens after that.

Really, you are right. With how the schedule lays out, you must win the next two weeks to see how realistic the playoff picture looks. So many teams in the AFC picture are super questionable, bengals INCLUDED. There are also so many games in which teams that are currently in the playoffs/hunt play each other, and with the question marks with every team, it’s very hard (impossible?) to get a good read on the outcome. I’m struggling with the game tonight even. I think the Steelers should win. But I won’t be surprised for the patriots without Stevenson to beat Steelers.

Other games Next two weeks that are interesting to the AFC playoffs as a whole. I’m only going to focus on games where one team moves up, and the other down in relation to the AFC playoff picture. ie, the Vikings game is important to us, and a must win… but it doesn’t drastically change the AFc race, especially the wild card.

Week 14
Bengals/Colts
Jags/browns
Chiefs/bills
Broncos/chargers

Week 15
Steelers/colts
Ravens/jags

Again, this doesn’t include other games that will still result in a lot shake-up. My prediction is, in two weeks, only one team that is currently in the wild card spot (Steelers, browns, colts) will still be there.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
At this point I'm not thinking Play-Offs.

I just wanted to post that Bengals could win 10 games. Colts, Vikings, Browns in THE JUNGLE, and Steelers in Pittsburgh and all these teams have their own quarterback injury issues.

A win over Colts would be nice. Maybe THE JUNGLE can help as 12th man on Defense.

I wouldn't mind play-offs, but they need to Win First in order to take that serious,
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 11:59 AM)ochocincos Wrote: It's mainly the battle of the backups from here on out.

Indy I believe is still using Minshew.
Cleveland is using Flacco.
If Pickett is out for any length of time, it will be Trubisky for Pitt.
Dobbs for Minnesota.

If Bengals can continue morphing the offense to fit Browning, they do have a shot at having a winning season, possibly even 10 games as you said.
I would argue other than Dobbs none of the back ups we face are a down grade from what those teams had.

Minshew is probably an upgrade for the colts.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 05:30 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Really, you are right. With how the schedule lays out, you must win the next two weeks to see how realistic the playoff picture looks. So many teams in the AFC picture are super questionable, bengals INCLUDED. There are also so many games in which teams that are currently in the playoffs/hunt play each other, and with the question marks with every team, it’s very hard (impossible?) to get a good read on the outcome. I’m struggling with the game tonight even. I think the Steelers should win. But I won’t be surprised for the patriots without Stevenson to beat Steelers.

Other games Next two weeks that are interesting to the AFC playoffs as a whole. I’m only going to focus on games where one team moves up, and the other down in relation to the AFC playoff picture. ie, the Vikings game is important to us, and a must win… but it doesn’t drastically change the AFc race, especially the wild card.

Week 14
Bengals/Colts
Jags/browns
Chiefs/bills
Broncos/chargers

Week 15
Steelers/colts
Ravens/jags

Again, this doesn’t include other games that will still result in a lot shake-up. My prediction is, in two weeks, only one team that is currently in the wild card spot (Steelers, browns, colts) will still be there.

I’m quoting myself and there is still 3 quarters to go… but I did say earlier I wouldn’t be surprised if the pats win. Long way to go, but the Steelers are not very good. (I know we lost to them).
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 10:19 PM)motoarch Wrote: I would argue other than Dobbs none of the back ups we face are a down grade from what those teams had.

Minshew is probably an upgrade for the colts.

They are obviously downgrades, or they would Have been starters from the word go. Flacco wasn’t even in the league 3 weeks ago.

Colts are missing their best player as well, JT

Are you watching trubisky?
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 01:23 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Dude, how deflated would the Chiefs be if the Bengals beat them for the 4th time in 5 games but this time with a backup QB instead of Burrow? Smirk

IT'S RIGGED!  Every red blooded chiefs fan knows that!  I'm still waiting for the annual Lamar injury..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 11:05 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: They are obviously downgrades, or they would Have been starters from the word go. Flacco wasn’t even in the league 3 weeks ago.  

Colts are missing their best player as well, JT

Are you watching trubisky?
Have you been watching the starters for those teams?  None of them were any good.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 12:58 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: When you compare the Jax game to the Pitt game there was quite a bit of difference. Browning really seemed to struggle in his post snap reads against Pitt usually determining a receiver pre snap and locking on to him. They rolled Browning out and moved the pocket giving him one or two reads helping eliminate the need for post snap reads. They went from 12 empty sets against Pitt to 0 against Jax. They upped the play action from 25% to 45%. They actually seemed to scrap the lateral RPOs quickly instead throwing some vertical RPOs. They're were even more changes but these are the ones that stood out to me that I saw mentioned.

The biggest difference was steelers are way better front 4, they stopped the run early and pressured and sacked Browning , Jags front 4 is not a sack pressure team and we ran well early.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2023, 01:30 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: The biggest difference was steelers are way better front 4, they stopped the run early and pressured and sacked Browning , Jags front 4 is not a sack pressure team and we ran well early.

And as middling as Jake played in that game (I still say he was nervous and pressing too much in his first start) it still took a bogus BS officiating call for Pissburgh to win.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2023, 10:48 AM)Sled21 Wrote: And as middling as Jake played in that game (I still say he was nervous and pressing too much in his first start) it still took a bogus BS officiating call for Pissburgh to win.

As they mentioned on the broadcast they made it easier by just going with 6 protection and taking the responsibility of getting the protection calls right. Less to think about.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
We won't. It's ok. This is the Preseason XL. See what we have, who we have and next year, hopefully, the stupid mistakes and green mistakes will have been worked out.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 12:49 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: They are near the bottom in run defense (according to fantasy football ). So hopefully we run alot and continue with the play action. I think Brown should be in line for more carries in this game which should make everyone happy. Hopefully both backs do well and hopefully we see some more explosive runs from Brown.

This should be the plan going into this game, the Colts have a good pass rush but are not a good run stopping team. Hopefully 
this is the game where the running game really takes over and we get back to what we should be. Not just a passing team, but a
team that can punch you in the mouth with the running game as well. The way Chase Brown gets up to speed rapidly really helps
out the OL as they don't have to hold their blocks long. 

Mixon on the other hand is much slower getting up to speed. The rapid acceleration needs to be used in the running game and 
use Mixon on the Screens when the Colts try and rush Browning.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 01:23 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Dude, how deflated would the Chiefs be if the Bengals beat them for the 4th time in 5 games but this time with a backup QB instead of Burrow? Smirk

KC fans are a tough bunch.

I'm sure they'll

Shake it off.
Reply/Quote