Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals cutting Iloka
I don't think anyone is shocked that Iloka was cut because he's good (he isn't, he's average)...I think we are shocked because this is just so unlike the Bengals. It seems like Bates is the better option, Marvin knows it, and they made a move to save money and give playing time to the better player. I like the move. It's so un-Bengals like.

In my opinion, I think this is a Marvin move. The Bengals have been making some against the grain moves lately (trading for Glenn, etc) and this is kind of par for the course. I think Marvin has more control over his roster and you're starting to see moves being made that reflect that.

I think there may be some ulterior motive as well. I can see them using the money saved to improve the team elsewhere.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
This team is a joke. Even if this was to free up money to bring in a Olineman, what's the excuse for the past 2 years. We must have had over 20 draft picks combined the past 2 years and we only drafted 3 Olinemen, only one higher than round 5 and one of the 3 is already gone. Our biggest need just ignored. I like Bates but that pick really should have been Oline, or at least maneuver around in the draft to get a couple more.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 05:11 PM)TKUHL Wrote: This team is a joke. Even if this was to free up money to bring in a Olineman, what's the excuse for the past 2 years. We must have had over 20 draft picks combined the past 2 years and we only drafted 3 Olinemen, only one higher than round 5 and one of the 3 is already gone. Our biggest need just ignored. I like Bates but that pick really should have been Oline, or at least maneuver around in the draft to get a couple more.

So what...you want to draft an olineman with every pick in the draft? The Bengals have consistently been drafting o lineman in the first round over the past few years now. They even take them in later rounds. Sometimes you swing and miss. It happens. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
So much for the Marvin won't play rookies over veterans spiel. Iloka's style of tackling, laying the big hit, is going to draw a lot of flags now. I've noticed the whole team seems to be tackling better this year, keeping their heads up and wrapping up instead of looking to just blow someone up. The money saved here would pay for a very good RG or RT for the year, if they can find one. Iloka will catch on somewhere else, hopefully not Pissburgh, so good luck to him.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 05:05 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If they cut MJ, they're only out the 1.25M of his prorated signing bonus, with a cap savings of about 5M.  Personally, I don't think they should insult the guy by asking him to work for half price.  If they cut him now, he has a chance to get whatever his market value is, from another team.

His agent should know hos market value. If we pay him 3 million or someone else will pay him 3 million, then why not stay here. I don't see it as an insult, have his agent ask around first so he gets his value, if higher than we are willing to pay then let him go.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 05:08 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: If they were cutting the dead weight they would not have brought back ML and Mikey would be put out to pasture.

I dont disagree.  But ill take the baby steps we are finally getting.  My only gripe would be if they dont use the money now.  Gotta get geno and dunlap signed now.  If eifert can finally stay healthy and get back to 2015 eifert he becomes a must resign as well so we gotta start cutting some of the weight now.  Illoka seems like a good good guy so I want to see him get another chance somewhere else and cutting him now gives him more time with new team if he gets picked up.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 05:24 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: His agent should know hos market value. If we pay him 3 million or someone else will pay him 3 million, then why not stay here. I don't see it as an insult, have his agent ask around first so he gets his value, if higher than we are willing to pay then let him go.

The reason that I say cut him?  If he's here, they're going to continue to use him.  That would take away valuable snaps that our young talent desperately needs for it's own development.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
We keep V.Rey even though he does nothing and we keep OG who completely sucks. This is why we can't get over the hump because we value bad players and not good players.
Where going to miss Iloka smarts and and Athletic ability as well. That's not a knock on Shawn or Jessie because those guys are good players as well and should be playing.
The problem is with in the solution by the front office. The question should have been how can we get all three of these guys on the field at the same time not who needs to be cut.
We got less physical today, dumber, and have less experience this does not help it hurts us.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 05:10 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I don't think anyone is shocked that Iloka was cut because he's good (he isn't, he's average)...I think we are shocked because this is just so unlike the Bengals. It seems like Bates is the better option, Marvin knows it, and they made a move to save money and give playing time to the better player. I like the move. It's so un-Bengals like.

In my opinion, I think this is a Marvin move. The Bengals have been making some against the grain moves lately (trading for Glenn, etc) and this is kind of par for the course. I think Marvin has more control over his roster and you're starting to see moves being made that reflect that.

I think there may be some ulterior motive as well. I can see them using the money saved to improve the team elsewhere.

If he gets that clock management thing under control, we'll be in business.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 05:24 PM)Sled21 Wrote: So much for the Marvin won't play rookies over veterans spiel. Iloka's style of tackling, laying the big hit, is going to draw a lot of flags now. I've noticed the whole team seems to be tackling better this year, keeping their heads up and wrapping up instead of looking to just blow someone up. The money saved here would pay for a very good RG or RT for the year, if they can find one. Iloka will catch on somewhere else, hopefully not Pissburgh, so good luck to him.

Except they dont exist on the market right now, at least RTs. There are a couple of guards out there like Alex Boone, but they could have afforded those guys anyways. Only way to get a rt is to trade a draft pick for a top backup somewhere, or an overpaid starter.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
The play last night where Illoka had the angle on Prescott and missed showed me all I needed to see with him.

I appreciate what Illoka did for this franchise, but he is simply too slow to be any more than a marginal player going forward.

I applaud the move.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 05:31 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: We keep V.Rey even though he does nothing and we keep OG who completely sucks. This is why we can't get over the hump because we value bad players and not good players.
Where going to miss Iloka smarts and and Athletic ability as well. That's not a knock on Shawn or Jessie because those guys are good players as well and should be playing.
The problem is with in the solution by the front  office. The question should have been how can we get all three of these guys on the field at the same time not who needs to be cut.
We got less physical today, dumber, and have less experience this does not help it hurts us.

Only time will tell over the next few months. But it's not easy to see the 'addition by subtraction' just yet, for me that is.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 05:26 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: I dont disagree.  But ill take the baby steps we are finally getting.  My only gripe would be if they dont use the money now.  Gotta get geno and dunlap signed now.  If eifert can finally stay healthy and get back to 2015 eifert he becomes a must resign as well so we gotta start cutting some of the weight now.  Illoka seems like a good good guy so I want to see him get another chance somewhere else and cutting him now gives him more time with new team if he gets picked up.

I'll take a average Iloka over a "what if/most likely not" Eifert.

It is my opinion the guy is fleecing the Bengals at this point.

But by all means keep the dream alive.

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 05:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The reason that I say cut him?  If he's here, they're going to continue to use him.  That would take away valuable snaps that our young talent desperately needs for it's own development.

I understand, but think he would be a great vet and worth a roster spot for a lot less salary. I think he is one of our best 9 or 10 DL, so if he takes the cut, let the coaches decides who to put on the field. Maybe less snaps would help MJ the way it helped Peko.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Beyond the money, they must feel that Bates is just the better player. Cuz he's the starter now. No question that's what happened. This gives Bates a couple more pre season games to get experience before the regular season.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 05:05 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If they cut MJ, they're only out the 1.25M of his prorated signing bonus, with a cap savings of about 5M.  Personally, I don't think they should insult the guy by asking him to work for half price.  If they cut him now, he has a chance to get whatever his market value is, from another team.

I don't think MJ would mind the "insult" of being offered that vs. straight up cutting him. He may not draw much more than vet minimum on another team if he's cut outright.

Anyhow, I'm not so sure that I get the timing of the Iloka release. Maybe he said something or projected some sort of an attitude that rubbed the higher ups the wrong way. We may never know. Best of luck to him, he was a good pro when he was here. 
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 03:32 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I'm skeptical. Hoping I'm wrong!

I hope Bates comes to play. Especially after they passed on Reid, who was athletically superior, to draft Bates.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 05:26 PM)mikT ey6866 Wrote: I dont disagree.  But ill take the baby steps we are finally getting.  My only gripe would be if they dont use the money now.  Gotta get geno and dunlap signed now.  If eifert can finally stay healthy and get back to 2015 eifert he becomes a must resign as well so we gotta start cutting some of the weight now.  Illoka seems like a good good guy so I want to see him get another chance somewhere else and cutting him now gives him more time with new team if he gets picked up.

There was plenty of cap room to sign Geno and Dunlap before this move. The problem with taking baby steps is other teams make adult steps when they want change. Every change with Mikey is a slow process where he is dragged along kicking and screaming. And this team is always built around If's , ands and buts. If the OL right side improves, if Dalton plays better in big games, and we have no injuries, and  ML is less conservative, etc etc. And even if by some miracle Eifert stays healthy he should not be resigned unless it is for one year
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
This just feels like last off season all over again and we all know how THAT turned out. Just when I thought Mike and Marvin had turned the page on stupid decisions they just had to go and prove me wrong.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 05:57 PM)mallorian69 Wrote: This just feels like last off season all over again and we all know how THAT turned out. Just when I thought Mike and Marvin had turned the page on stupid decisions they just had to go and prove me wrong.

Again I ask, what evidence was there that this team has changed? Zero. This team is built to be average from top to bottom.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote