Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals defense against TEs
There has been a lot of talk for years about how "TE's kill the Bengals" but here are some interesting numbers

According to FootballOutsiders here are how the Bengals defense has ranked at covering TEs over the last 5 years.

'12.... 12
'13....  9
'14....  4
'15.... 12
'16.... 17
'17.... 30

So we were really not that bad at all until last year.  Any thoughts on why that was?
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2018, 02:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There has been a lot of talk for years about how "TE's kill the Bengals" but here are some interesting numbers

According to FootballOutsiders here are how the Bengals defense has ranked at covering TEs over the last 5 years.

'12.... 12
'13....  9
'14....  4
'15.... 12
'16.... 17
'17.... 30

So we were really not that bad at all until last year.  Any thoughts on why that was?

My guess is 2017 was the worst year I can remember when it came to LB performance. Pretty much everyone besides Burfict was terrible.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
All went downhill when we lost Maualuga Ninja
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2018, 02:28 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: All went downhill when we lost Maualuga Ninja

[Image: giphy.gif]
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
What exactly goes into these rankings and what does it mean to "cover a tight end"?

Total yards receiving by tight ends against us for the year?
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2018, 02:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: My guess is 2017 was the worst year I can remember when it came to LB performance. Pretty much everyone besides Burfict was terrible.

The thing is Vigil and Evans were supposed to be known for being better cover backers too.

I blame Jim Haslett, ever since he has got here our Linebackers have been out of position it seems in the run game
and you can see the numbers the last few years with TE's too. Just continually going down hill.

Surprised we kept this guy around.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2018, 02:49 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: What exactly goes into these rankings and what does it mean to "cover a tight end"?

Total yards receiving by tight ends against us for the year?

It is a complex formula called "Defense Adjusted Value Over Average".  It grades each play based on down and distance and location on the field.  For example giving up 3 yards on first-and-ten is a good play while giving up 3 yards on 3rd-and-2 is a bad play.  There is a lot more to it than that, but it is all objective statistics.  There is no subjective "grading" based just on how well one person feels a player performed like PFF uses.

You can read the full explanation at FootballOutsiders web site.
Reply/Quote
I think we really developed that reputation (on the boards) after Owen Daniels and Matt Schaub play-actioned us to death in the 2012 playoff game. Aside from that, I've never really thought Tight Ends killed us or anything. Of course, I know some have felt differently...obviously.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Colts game last year their TE almost single handily beat us. Doyle was his name. Think he had like 15 catches for 150 yards. That was the only time I remember a TE really destroying us.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2018, 04:15 PM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: Colts game last year their TE almost single handily beat us.   Doyle was his name.   Think he had like 15 catches for 150 yards.   That was the only time I remember a TE really destroying us.

Gronk destroyed us last year too.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2018, 03:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The thing is Vigil and Evans were supposed to be known for being better cover backers too.

I blame Jim Haslett, ever since he has got here our Linebackers have been out of position it seems in the run game
and you can see the numbers the last few years with TE's too. Just continually going down hill.

Surprised we kept this guy around.

You pretty much nailed it I think.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2018, 04:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Gronk destroyed us last year too.

That was 2016. Didn't play New England last year.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2018, 04:15 PM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: Colts game last year their TE almost single handily beat us.   Doyle was his name.   Think he had like 15 catches for 150 yards.   That was the only time I remember a TE really destroying us.

Yeah we were terrible last year covering TE's. Other than that, I think the problem was overstated a bit.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2018, 02:28 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: All went downhill when we lost Maualuga Ninja

Well...he is available.  Cool
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2018, 04:25 PM)cinci4life Wrote: That was 2016. Didn't play New England last year.

Oh yeah, my bad. Still, Haslett...
Reply/Quote
I always assumed our defensive strategy was hope the opposing offense runs the same offense we do; forget the TE is a receiver.
Reply/Quote
Why throw to the TE when Dre sucks Ninja
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2018, 04:06 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I think we really developed that reputation (on the boards) after Owen Daniels and Matt Schaub play-actioned us to death in the 2012 playoff game. Aside from that, I've never really thought Tight Ends killed us or anything. Of course, I know some have felt differently...obviously.

Exactly, they killed us with the same play over and over that day. 

But really do not recall other teams having there way with Bengals except that day, until last season. 

Of course that day counted more than most Bengals games, so it sticks out. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2018, 02:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There has been a lot of talk for years about how "TE's kill the Bengals" but here are some interesting numbers

'12.... 12
'13....  9
'14....  4
'15.... 12
'16.... 17
'17.... 30

Jim Haslett.... Not trying  to bash our coaches here, in fact I like the new blood. That said, I've been watching Haslett for years, and I've watched him ruin a good defense and LBer corps on more than one occasion. Not sure if what he does bring to the table is worth the bad things that he also brings with his coaching philosophy.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2018, 01:41 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Why throw to the TE when Dre sucks Ninja

I'm replying to this so I can see people aimlessly defend Dre. 

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote