Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals draft tendency
We know that Zac likes using early round picks on players with Championship rings and there are a slew of them to choose from. A few will be gone when Bengals select but most will be available. Thinking two of these names or more end up becoming Bengals.

OT. Evan Neal ........"Alabama" ...........6'7" 350 lbs. .......will be gone barring trade up
DT. Jordan Davis ......"Georgia".............6'6" 340 lbs.........could be there
ILB. Nakobe Dean ....."Georgia".............6'"0 225 lbs........possibly
WR Jameson Willims .."Alabama" .........6'2" 189 lbs .......possibly
DE. Travon Walker ...."Georgia".............6'5" 275 lbs........possibly
FS. Lewis Cine .........."Georgia" ............6'1" 200 lbs........should be there
CB. Derek Stingly ......."LSU"..................6'1" 200 lbs ......will be gone
OG. Ed Ingram .........."LSU"..................6'4" 314 lbs
WR. John Metchie "Alabama"
ILB. Quay Walker "Georgia"
WR. George Pickens " Georgia"
ILB Christian Harris "Alabama"
CB. Derion Kendrick "Georgia"
DT. Devonte Wyatt "Georgia"
DT. Phidarian Mathis "Alabama"
RB. James Cook "Georgia"
ILB Channing Tindall "Georgia"
OL. Jamaree Salyer "Georgia"
DB. Josh Jobe "Alabama" .....think he may stay in school
DB. Tykes Smith "Georgia"
LB. Adam Anderson "Georgia"
LB. Henry To'o To'o "Alabama"
DL. Justin Eboigbe "Alabama"
DL. Byron Young " Alabama"
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 09:07 PM)Go Cards Wrote: We know that Zac likes using early round picks on players with Championship rings and there are a slew of them to choose from. A few will be gone when Bengals select but most will be available. Thinking two of these names or more end up becoming Bengals.

OT. Evan Neal   ........"Alabama"  ...........6'7" 350 lbs. .......will be gone barring trade up
DT. Jordan Davis ......"Georgia".............6'6" 340 lbs.........could be there
ILB. Nakobe Dean ....."Georgia".............6'"0 225 lbs........possibly
WR Jameson Willims .."Alabama"  .........6'2" 189 lbs .......possibly
DE. Travon Walker ...."Georgia".............6'5" 275 lbs........possibly
FS. Lewis Cine .........."Georgia" ............6'1" 200 lbs........should be there

WR. John Metchie "Alabama"
ILB. Quay Walker "Georgia"
WR. George Pickens " Georgia"
ILB Christian Harris "Alabama"
CB. Derion Kendrick "Georgia"
DT. Devonte Wyatt "Georgia"
DT. Phidarian Mathis "Alabama"
RB. James Cook "Georgia"
ILB Channing Tindall "Georgia"
OL. Jamaree Salyer "Georgia"
DB. Josh Jobe "Alabama" .....think he may stay in school
DB. Tykes Smith "Georgia"
LB. Adam Anderson "Georgia"
LB. Henry To'o To'o "Alabama"
DL. Justin Eboigbe "Alabama"
DL. Byron Young " Alabama"

We're loaded at WR and he got hurt and might fall in the draft, right? If he's there, do the Bengals take him and add to the already stacked skill position players?
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 09:35 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: We're loaded at WR and he got hurt and might fall in the draft, right? If he's there, do the Bengals take him and add to the already stacked skill position players?

I wouldn't but have seen the Bengals do this many times so there is a chance. Would like to see one more WR added myself, but probably not with early selection. 

Personally hope they fix the O-line entirely in FA so they can just select BPO because there is always good ones that fall and then I wouldn't mind drafting WR or whatever the best player available is at all.

But if O-line was fixed in FA ? Then I would lean toward drafting defensive players with first few picks and look at Jordan Davis hard.

Of course if O-line is not fixed in FA, then would want to go after O-line with all early picks. 

Just me though

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 09:35 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: We're loaded at WR and he got hurt and might fall in the draft, right? If he's there, do the Bengals take him and add to the already stacked skill position players?

I can't imagine they'd go after a top-tier WR to be a WR4.
I would only do this if looking to trade Boyd to free up some cap.
With his injury, I doubt he falls further than early 2nd.

It's pretty clear the pick should be either OL, DB, DT, or possibly TE if Uzomah leaves.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2022, 12:55 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I can't imagine they'd go after a top-tier WR to be a WR4.

It's pretty clear the pick should be either OL, DB, DT, or possibly TE if Uzomah leaves.

I completely agree. I'm only throwing the idea out there just to talk about something under the premise he'd be a steal at pick 25+ if I've correctly listened to the pundits. If he falls because of the injury, a team might get a bargain pick by grabbing him. 
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2022, 12:55 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I can't imagine they'd go after a top-tier WR to be a WR4.

Yeah I don't see us drafting WR within the first 2 rounds unless they try and trade Boyd for something.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote

It wouldn't be what I would want, but I can see some logic to it.  It would be a value pick.  Tee and Boyd are both UFA's in two years.  You would have Williams for another 3 years after they leave(presuming you let them walk) and would still be in good shape at WR.  
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2022, 01:24 PM)Whatever Wrote: It wouldn't be what I would want, but I can see some logic to it.  It would be a value pick.  Tee and Boyd are both UFA's in two years.  You would have Williams for another 3 years after they leave(presuming you let them walk) and would still be in good shape at WR.  

I get that, but I'm not taking a WR in Rd 1 or 2 to basically have them serve as WR4 for two seasons.
A WR4 is not going to help as much over these next two years as another position, and the Bengals need to be treating these next two years as all-in years to push for a SB while Burrow is on his rookie contract.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Trey McBride looks promising.
Reply/Quote
We have no business taking a wr at all really. After round 4i wouldn't be mad but still wouldn't really like it. We have 3studs and pretty good back ups. We also don't need to take any running backs. Focus on offensive line and sprinkle in some defense.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2022, 01:35 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I get that, but I'm not taking a WR in Rd 1 or 2 to basically have them serve as WR4 for two seasons.
A WR4 is not going to help as much over these next two years as another position, and the Bengals need to be treating these next two years as all-in years to push for a SB while Burrow is on his rookie contract.

Again, it wouldn't be my personal preference, but if you're drafting Williams, you're assuming he's your WR2 by the end of year 2.  You're also probably dumping Boyd and his salary after his rookie season and using that money to bring in some FA pieces or reup guys like Jonah, Pratt, Wilson, etc.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2022, 08:18 PM)Whatever Wrote: Again, it wouldn't be my personal preference, but if you're drafting Williams, you're assuming he's your WR2 by the end of year 2.  You're also probably dumping Boyd and his salary after his rookie season and using that money to bring in some FA pieces or reup guys like Jonah, Pratt, Wilson, etc.

Any first round pick I would make would be for someone who is starting as a rookie by year's end.
I don't like seeing 1st rounders riding the bench. I used to get so frustrated by seeing Marvin's teams do this.
A late 2nd rounder is more understandable to be groomed some as a rookie, but not a 1st rounder.

I realize not everyone has that viewpoint though.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2022, 08:05 PM)CloeHokie Wrote: We have no business taking a wr at all really. After round 4i wouldn't be mad but still wouldn't really like it. We have 3studs and pretty good back ups. We also don't need to take any running backs. Focus on offensive line and sprinkle in some defense.

Our depth is actually pretty bad.  When Higgins missed 2 games early in the season, Thomas and Tate combined for 4 catches for 51 yards in those 2 games.  Tee averaged 77.9 yards per game, so we're looking at an average of 52.4 yards of lost production per game.  Thomas and Tate are both also UFA's, Morgan is a RFA, and Irwin is an ERFA.  It's not a pressing need, but we probably need 1-2 Day 3 picks there for depth.  We also need to seriously look at KR/PR and a lot of those guys also play WR.
Reply/Quote
I'd be good trading down in the 1st to pickup a high third rounder and another second rounder. Between those four picks you'd think we'd hit paydirt at least twice.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2022, 08:29 PM)Whatever Wrote: Our depth is actually pretty bad.  When Higgins missed 2 games early in the season, Thomas and Tate combined for 4 catches for 51 yards in those 2 games.  Tee averaged 77.9 yards per game, so we're looking at an average of 52.4 yards of lost production per game.  Thomas and Tate are both also UFA's, Morgan is a RFA, and Irwin is an ERFA.  It's not a pressing need, but we probably need 1-2 Day 3 picks there for depth.  We also need to seriously look at KR/PR and a lot of those guys also play WR.

Not as bad as the O-line depth 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2022, 01:35 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I get that, but I'm not taking a WR in Rd 1 or 2 to basically have them serve as WR4 for two seasons.

This ^^^^^^^^

There is no way a WR needs taken in early rounds unless every hole is filled via FA already. 

Now as I have said would love to fix O-line with veteran FA and then load up the defense with draft picks. Am fine with an extra WR or RB but would not pick them until round 4 or 5 at earliest and that is only if the O-line is completely fixed with FA. 

If 2 or 3 stud O-line are not added in FA then O-line is exactly what needs drafted. Burrow can not keep taking this many hits and Ocho is right, the Bengals need to go all in why Burrow is on rookie deal.  

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2022, 09:16 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Not as bad as the O-line depth 

The OL needs plug and play starters.  Those will probably have to come from FA and/or Round 1 unless we get lucky.  There's already a ton of young depth early in the development curve there.  WR is the opposite.  The starters are set, but the cupboard is totally bare behind them.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 01:15 AM)Whatever Wrote: The OL needs plug and play starters.  Those will probably have to come from FA and/or Round 1 unless we get lucky.  There's already a ton of young depth early in the development curve there.  WR is the opposite.  The starters are set, but the cupboard is totally bare behind them.

Yes but thought the argument was about Jameson Williams who would probably have to be taken in the 1st round to acquire. 

Plus he is recovering from a torn ACL and don't want to gamble on whether he retains his speed enough to even take that early with Bengals 1st round players luck with injuries. 

If we take any weapon early would think it would be a TE over a WR anyway. That 4th WR everybody wants can be filled with an aging vet in FA on the cheap or a 5th round draft pick like Marvin Jones.  Yet if Uzomah goes down there is basically nothing.  

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2022, 08:22 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Any first round pick I would make would be for someone who is starting as a rookie by year's end.
I don't like seeing 1st rounders riding the bench. I used to get so frustrated by seeing Marvin's teams do this.
A late 2nd rounder is more understandable to be groomed some as a rookie, but not a 1st rounder.

I realize not everyone has that viewpoint though.

I understand that philosophy, but it gets tough when you're picking in that 25-32 range.  If you're picking in that range, you probably don't have a lot of holes where a guy taken in that spot came come in and start quickly.  It's also rare that value and need intersect in those spots.  

For example, most of us tentatively have CB as a 1st round need(assuming we dump Wayne's).  If there's a run on CB's before our pick, do you take a CB you've got a 2nd round grade on that could still start early or take a WR in Williams that you've got a Top 10 grade on?  

Personally, I'm more of a fill your holes in FA/draft BPA guy, but I get that that philosophy also has it's pitfalls.
Reply/Quote
Jameson Williams is an interesting case right now. The Bengals severly need depth at WR but need depth at alot of positions. Williams tore his ACL in January which will likely mean he won't be ready to go until at least late November. He could possibly be in for a big slide I'd he makes it to late 3rd (unlikely) I wouldnt complain about the pick but in rounds 1 or 2 plus missing most of his rookie year would be a deal breaker for me.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote