Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals enter this week's game with 10 sacks, the fewest in the NFL.
So much for the defensive line being the strength of the team and dominant. Also, getting AJ and Jonah back won't help this:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
It's almost like a generational pass rusher may help the defense...
Reply/Quote
Yeah Young could definitely help out.

Really too bad we don't have more picks.
Reply/Quote
The near total disappearance of the Dline has been one of the bigger disappointments on this team. And it's not just this season. They struggled mightily in many games last season. Oh they had a game here a half there, Hubbard had a couple splash games. But overall they were not good.

Geno and Carlos have all but disappeared over the last 20 games or so ! I don't have an answer.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2019, 12:16 PM)Au165 Wrote: It's almost like a generational pass rusher may help the defense...

If Young is there when we draft I don't know how you'd pass that up ?
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2019, 12:30 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: If Young is there when we draft I don't know how you'd pass that up ?

They'll almost certainly go QB.

And I was reading an article on the draft where Trubisky, Mahomes, and Watson got drafted. It's really hard to say that Burrow will be the best QB. Everyone thought Trubisky was that year. QB's are REALLY hard to draft.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2019, 12:16 PM)Au165 Wrote: It's almost like a generational pass rusher may help the defense...

I wonder how much though with the defense as it's currently constructed. They can't stop the run, therefore teams are throwing it on them the 2nd least amount of attempts in the league. They rarely get teams in obvious passing downs and 3rd and long situations due to their inability to stop the run. Obviously, Young is an instant huge upgrade to what they have, but unless there are other significant upgrades to the defense I'm not sure his pass rushing ability could be used to its fullest.
Reply/Quote
I would grab Young.
It might even be possible to stay right where we are to get Jalen Hurts depending if a QB run happens or not, but I would move up.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2019, 12:33 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: They'll almost certainly go QB.

And I was reading an article on the draft where Trubisky, Mahomes, and Watson got drafted. It's really hard to say that Burrow will be the best QB. Everyone thought Trubisky was that year. QB's are REALLY hard to draft.

If Burrow is there I'd have a hard time passing that up as well.
Reply/Quote
Such a brilliant move they signed Geno to that massive deal that still has 3 years left on it after this one.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2019, 12:26 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The near total disappearance of the Dline has been one of the bigger disappointments on this team. And it's not just this season. They struggled mightily in many games last season. Oh they had a game here a half there, Hubbard had a couple splash games. But overall they were not good.

Geno and Carlos have all but disappeared over the last 20 games or so ! I don't have an answer.

Seems like ever since Zimmer left.All they do is bull rush and it seems none of these guys have developed any type of moves. I realize they blitz very little because their back 7 is terrible so maybe that has far more to do with it...
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2019, 12:37 PM)Fullrock Wrote: I wonder how much though with the defense as it's currently constructed. They can't stop the run, therefore teams are throwing it on them the 2nd least amount of attempts in the league. They rarely get teams in obvious passing downs and 3rd and long situations due to their inability to stop the run. Obviously, Young is an instant huge upgrade to what they have, but unless there are other significant upgrades to the defense I'm not sure his pass rushing ability could be used to its fullest.

True, but you have to start somewhere. There are so many glaring needs on this team ! We need like 3 or 4 starters on both sides of the ball to even be average. Then there's depth, we have none. It's hard to know where to start. Given the way MB refuses to do anything but apply bandaids in FA it's likely going to take 2-3 years to rebuild.

He would be a great piece to build around.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2019, 12:51 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: True, but you have to start somewhere. There are so many glaring needs on this team ! We need like 3 or 4 starters on both sides of the ball to even be average. Then there's depth, we have none. It's hard to know where to start. Given the way MB refuses to do anything but apply bandaids in FA it's likely going to take 2-3 years to rebuild.

Oh, I don't disagree that he would be a great piece to build around. Just don't know that he would be able to live up to the immediate expectations he would have placed on him playing with a defense that's as bad as this one.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2019, 12:37 PM)Fullrock Wrote: I wonder how much though with the defense as it's currently constructed. They can't stop the run, therefore teams are throwing it on them the 2nd least amount of attempts in the league. They rarely get teams in obvious passing downs and 3rd and long situations due to their inability to stop the run. Obviously, Young is an instant huge upgrade to what they have, but unless there are other significant upgrades to the defense I'm not sure his pass rushing ability could be used to its fullest.

Well, it also charts the percentage of disrupted dropbacks. It's very low.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2019, 01:10 PM)Fullrock Wrote: Oh, I don't disagree that he would be a great piece to build around. Just don't know that he would be able to live up to the immediate expectations he would have placed on him playing with a defense that's as bad as this one.

True, I think that's a big part of what happened to Big Daddy Wilkinson back in the day. He was never as bad as he was portrayed by some. But he was on such bad teams what he did do got washed away in the funk.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2019, 12:45 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Such a brilliant move they signed Geno to that massive deal that still has 3 years left on it after this one.

Based on his production at that time any other team in the league would have done the exact same thing. If Bengals had let Geno walk you would have squealed your head off.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2019, 12:51 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: True, but you have to start somewhere. There are so many glaring needs on this team ! We need like 3 or 4 starters on both sides of the ball to even be average. Then there's depth, we have none. It's hard to know where to start. Given the way MB refuses to do anything but apply bandaids in FA it's likely going to take 2-3 years to rebuild.

IF we were the only team who could sign free agents...I looked through the list and there might be enough guys to fill our needs. With all of the other teams signing guys too, it will be tough.
Reply/Quote
The weirdest thing is that according to PFF our Dline is actually playing well. This defensive line should be on pace for 50 sacks the fact that they have 10 is puzzling.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2019, 12:30 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: If Young is there when we draft I don't know how you'd pass that up ?

I'm on team Young over a Qb this year and then go for Fields or Lawrence next year as we will be bad still. I can see both sides, and get why people want a QB at 1 but this team is so bad in so many place I'd take the generational talent and then go for what probably will be more sure things at QB next year.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2019, 01:34 PM)J24 Wrote: The weirdest thing is that according to PFF our Dline is actually playing well. This defensive line should be on pace for 50 sacks the fact that they have 10 is puzzling.

I broke it down in another thread but we are seeing much less pass rushing situations this year due to teams running on us more than any other team in the NFL. Our pass rushing efficiency has certainly dropped though.
Reply/Quote