Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals face risk in chasing next young offensive mind
As for chasing offensive minds, I think Bieniemy has the best shot here as he is a run first guy, and comes into a situation with Joe and Gio. He just needs to hire a good DC to keep us from playing behind all the time.
Reply/Quote
I’m confident Marvin Lewis will not be our coach next year. Ok happy enough with that.

Does that mean we win a playoff game. No but I like our chances better.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 01:50 AM)XsandOs Wrote: Pederson, Reich, McVay and Nagy were seasoned OCs in advanced offenses.

Irrespective of whether they called on gameday, they were involved in game strategy.

Taylor and Waldron concern me greatly!!!!!!!!

We are now delving into the ridiculous. And No. Waldron is not the OC in LA.

Yep. There are really no seasoned OC's we're looking at.

We're looking at apples from the McVay tree. Eric B is probably the most seasoned and he has 1 year of OC experience. But, he'd come from a team with a good culture.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 08:33 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I will argue the counterpoint that none of those teams had a roster with the talent of Cincinnati, nor had they started a season 9-0.  The Bengals have a lot more talent than those teams, offensively, but it has been neutered with tired, predictable schemes.  Pederson was successful because he used the talent they had and made it work together...I would also give Frank Reich a ton of credit for Philly's success and the subsequent success in Indy. 

It's hard to really gauge our talent.

We have 2 good WR's and a good RB. We have a good defensive line and secondary.

We have the WORST TRIO of LB's in the NFL starting...by far.

We also have a bottom 5 offensive line.

IF we can fix those 2 bottom dweller units...we could have a huge turnaround.
Reply/Quote
always a risk when you make a change to the unknown... but without risk can there be reward?
Reply/Quote
Is there a risk that the longer we wait for a guy off of a playoff/super bowl roster that viable coordinator candidates become scarce?
Go Benton Panthers!!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
There is always going to be a risk with a first time head coach. My biggest concern is what coordinators will be left. A good staff can make all the difference we you have a young coach he will need someone with experience that he can depend on.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 09:27 PM)Big Boss Wrote: We would just need to cross that bridge if we come to it.  For now, hiring an offensive minded coach from outside the organization is doing exactly what I want this team to do.  Step outside their comfort zone and take a risk, even if it ultimately backfires.

This is my thoughts on the matter verbatim.  At least it isn't a stale philosophy of 16 years, and it isn't a retread.  Go for it, if it doesn't work out, you tried.  The key here is that they must recognize it and move on quickly if it fails.

(01-09-2019, 09:43 PM)Au165 Wrote: I’d rather miss trying for the next McVay over settling for the next Marvin Lewis.

This.

(01-10-2019, 11:04 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: always a risk when you make a change to the unknown... but without risk can there be reward?

Exactly. Isn't risk on the unknown what we've been asking for going on a decade?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 11:04 AM)SladeX Wrote: Is there a risk that the longer we wait for a guy off of a playoff/super bowl roster that viable coordinator candidates become scarce?

(01-10-2019, 11:56 AM)mon4078 Wrote: There is always going to be a risk with a first time head coach. My biggest concern is what coordinators will be left. A good staff can make all the difference we you have a young coach he will need someone with experience that he can depend on.

This is a risk, concerning coordinators.  There is a chance that some of the interviews they conducted have already netted them.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
If the Bengals have to wait to get the guy they really want, then so be it...like the Falcons did with Quinn, the Colts did with Reich, etc. More important to get it right, than get it done quickly.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 12:12 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: If the Bengals have to wait to get the guy that really want, then so be it...like the Falcons did with Quinn, the Colts did with Reich, etc. More important to get it right, than get it done quickly.

If they have that feeling like they're going to hire Bienemy, or any of the others, I certainly hope those potential HCs expressed their wishes for how they want to fill their staff going forward.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 09:19 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I thought this was a good article. The gist was everyone wants the next McVay.

The trouble could come in giving in to desperation for the next McVay without realizing the unique, freakish skill set of those who succeeded.

Look no further than the 2016 coaching carousel. Everyone in search of the next great offensive mind went into the carnival and came out with their prize.

The Philadelphia Eagles landed Pederson, 50, who led them to their first Super Bowl. Fans can point to him and yell into the night: ‘Go get that guy!’

But wait one second, Pederson was one of seven.

Miami got Adam Gase, Tampa Dirk Koetter, Cleveland Jackson, San Francisco Chip Kelly, NY Giants Ben McAdoo and Tennessee Mike Mularkey. All also from offensive backgrounds.

Three years later all have been fired. The majority went down in flames.

--------------
Gase, Koetter, Jackson while with the Bengals all were successful OC's. Kelly was a hot college commodity.

Being a successful OC and being a great HC are different traits. You need way more skills like leadership, communication, ect.

Piece of advice...sometimes you just have to take the risk and see what happens. Stop worrying so much about whether you made the best choice or not. You never will always make the right choice. Often times, you'll make a wrong one. And no matter how many lessons you think you learned from making wrong ones, you'll still end up occasionally making wrong ones.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 11:58 AM)Wyche Wrote: This is a risk, concerning coordinators.  There is a chance that some of the interviews they conducted have already netted them.

Yes. And there's a chance we've interviewed people that we don't know about as the team doesn't release that info.
Reply/Quote
After all these years of watching the Bengals/Marvin play it safe, I'm ready for a little risk.

I'd rather shoot for the moon and fail than to never have reached at all (jackson, simmons or joseph).
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 12:29 PM)MentalRage Wrote: After all these years of watching the Bengals/Marvin play it safe, I'm ready for a little risk.

I'd rather shoot for the moon and fail than to never have reached at all (jackson, simmons or joseph).

No doubt about it brother.  :andy:
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 10:28 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's hard to really gauge our talent.

And we realy have more than that. We have 2 really good WR's, 2 good running backs, a top pass catching tight end (if he can stay healthy, but several others who are quite adequate), a good D-line with young guys like Hubbard, Lawson and Glasgow to supplement Geno and Carlos... 4 1st round corners, who if they could play man coverage would shine. Linebackers and Olinemen is our need if we can just keep what we have healthy 
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 10:28 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's hard to really gauge our talent.

I believe our offensive line woes were a function of the dearth of WRs that could generate separation after Green and Boyd went down.  I know Ross is crazy fast, but they seem lost on how to use him except in the red zone.  

Agree 100% on the LBs, although I think Vigil is solid.  Need a very high draft pick (White?) and a FA to shore up that group.  

Improve the LB corps and the entire defense improves tremendously.  Look at Dallas.  

Improve our RT situation and maybe RG and our entire offense improves.  I think I would take our roster over virtually every coaching vacancy team from this year. 
Reply/Quote
I think the new coach will come in a say
"this team was 4 and 1 and could have been 5 and 1 if not for a clueless DC named Austin.....
they beat the Ravens and went down to the wire with the Chargers
who are facing the Pats."
this team isnt that far away. this isnt a rebuild or tear down.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 12:12 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: If the Bengals have to wait to get the guy they really want, then so be it...like the Falcons did with Quinn, the Colts did with Reich, etc. More important to get it right, than get it done quickly.

Your right. No reason to screw this up. Play it smart and get it right.

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 01:57 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I think the new coach will come in a say
"this team was 4 and 1 and could have been 5 and 1 if not for a clueless DC named Austin.....
they beat the Ravens and went down to the wire with the Chargers
who are facing the Pats."
this team isnt that far away. this isnt a rebuild or tear down.

Ehh, not sure we should be making excuses and taking away positives from 2018 when we are also desperately hoping to wipe the slate clean coaching-wise.  If Mike Brown made this statement we'd all start packing in our fandom and bracing ourselves for an internal hire to "stay the successful course."
Reply/Quote