Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm thinking we should add another Safety, then use Williams at LB
(02-11-2019, 02:10 PM)Au165 Wrote: He was the 34th overall safety this year with an above average grade from PFF. Considering many teams play 3 safeties at some point there are more than 64 safeties in the ranking so you can assume he is an above average starter just from the rank not even the above average grade.

The hate for the guy is really uncalled for, not necessary you but others here. I remember when everyone wanted Fej to replace him after one big play in Indy...only for Williams to have multiple big plays down the stretch. He is fine, and we have much bigger needs to fill. 

Umm, why not try to improve the position so we have a safety that’s ranked 32 or 25 or 12? This just stinks of settling for being mediocre. We can improve safety at the same time as we improve other areas.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2019, 03:27 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Umm, why not try to improve the position so we have a safety that’s ranked 32 or 25 or 12? This just stinks of settling for being mediocre. We can improve safety at the same time as we improve other areas.

You can literally make that argument at every position. Because that is true you have to prioritize things. Improving a sub starting o linemen or linebacker is a larger impact than an above average safety.
Reply/Quote
They already have a guy who could possibly be an upgrade at S who, unfortunately, spent the entire year on IR.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2019, 10:55 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: A guy like Tyrann Mathieu that has really good coverage skills paired with Bates. I like Landon Collins, but his pricetag will be too high.

Then, play 3 Safeties in our base defense with Williams in the box. He seems to really thrive in that role.

Draft a guy like Devin White for our MLB. He's BIG and FAST. Then, try to sign a guy like Jordan Hicks. We'd have Vigil situationally too. And we could use Fej between Safety and LB to back those spots up.

Thoughts? I think with the way the NFL is changing that this is the route to go.

Maybe on passing downs, but teams can run on us in this base. I think using Fej this way might be better than Shawn. Shawn actually had a pretty good year, definately his best year as a pro playing Safety. Think we ought to leave him where he is at and draft Devin White as you say. Not against bringing in Mathieu but Linebacker and O-line are much bigger needs than Safety.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2019, 02:10 PM)Au165 Wrote: He was the 34th overall safety this year with an above average grade from PFF. Considering many teams play 3 safeties at some point there are more than 64 safeties in the ranking so you can assume he is an above average starter just from the rank not even the above average grade.

The hate for the guy is really uncalled for, not necessary you but others here. I remember when everyone wanted Fej to replace him after one big play in Indy...only for Williams to have multiple big plays down the stretch. He is fine, and we have much bigger needs to fill. 

Fej made one big play?  He had 10 tackles with 9 being solo tackles, the FF, and the TD.  Yes, one play was very big, but he made a lot of contributions in a game he didn't even start or expect to start.  

I am not hating the guy, but his PFF ranking doesn't seem to properly address his coverage issues.  I'm sure there is some stat wiz out there that can find the completion % to his guy, and I would imagine it would be high.  He also has a lot of tackling issues in space.  He has made some big plays, but often seems late to diagnose.  Maybe he will look different under a new coach and a new scheme.  I have always our secondary a bit of a pass due to our severe lack of pass rush.

I just think that at his age, and his history, it would be prudent to try and upgrade the position.  I thought Iloka was the better of the two, and Bates did a fine job filling in for him.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote