Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Bengals going in the wrong direction?
(03-10-2017, 01:19 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: Some of what is hurting this team is drafting players and then letting them waste away on the bench until they have to make a decision on them. Work them in earlier. You can practice and watch all the tape you want, nothing prepares you better than on field experience.

On the offensive side, they seem more likely to give a player some reps, but they still have guys like Burkhead who they suddenly realize they should keep and give more playing time.

You are 100% correct. They have dug this hole with themselves several times and over multiple positions. The HC is the issue on that front. No question.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 12:49 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Good!

(03-10-2017, 12:50 PM)Wyche Wrote: I am too now, I guess......it's good to be back home.....and......homers gonna home. Wink

Just in case...that was sarcasm. I know I made a "positive thread" (just to help people feel a little better) yesterday, but my stance is that the Bengals are handling things poorly overall. I think they misjudged - and tested - Whit's loyalty, and came out looking like fools. I understand letting Z walk for that gigantic contract, but at least be prepared to replace him properly when several good vet guards were available.

There's still some time to right things a bit. Bringing back Andre Smith would help, but judging off the propaganda Hobson is being instructed to put out, it looks like they're content to go into the season with Ogbuehi as the starter. If they felt good about Ogbuehi, why offer $12 million for Whit to stick around? It makes no sense.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I think it's obvious to many the writing is on the wall. This team is done. Window slammed shut. Mike and co has no one to blame but themselves.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 12:57 PM)Wyche Wrote: They're too stubborn to sell..... Sad

"When you win say little, when  you lose say less" ~ Paul Brown

"When you win spend little, when you lose spend less" ~ Mike Brown
Reply/Quote
Jeff is losing a big customer in Whit.

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 01:36 PM)jj22 Wrote: I think it's obvious to many the writing is on the wall. This team is done. Window slammed shut. Mike and co has no one to blame but themselves.

This team has been going downhill fast since November 1st 2015, to anyone really paying attention. In the 26 games we've played since then we've beaten a total of ONE team with a season ending winning record, Miami.

We're a snowball rolling down hill now, and Marvin Lewis has no prayer of turning this avalanche around. And furthermore as long as Mikey is still calling the shots I don't think any HC could.

My real hope is that Andy, AJ, Geno, Carlos, etc. get out and have a chance some where else. It's useless to remain here !
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 11:15 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: This was posted by Jeff Ruby this morning on his Twitter account. What do you think?

[Image: XcoHtSj.jpg]

Can not argue with anything stated here. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 01:19 PM)PDub80 Wrote: You're "alarmed"? NOW? Just now you became alarmed? This is what woke you up from your trance? An old left tackle and decent right guard leaving for a ton of cash? THAT is the last straw for you?

And you UPGRADED?!?!?! Why would you do that? YOU'RE BUYING JUNK STOCK LOW and then went and asked for more at a higher price? 

Picturing you and your family discussing this around your annual ENRON stock portfolio meeting. "You know what guys? Here's a great idea..." (dramatically scratches chin)... "Lets pay way more money and get better seats to watch this dumpster fire of hot garbage really melt down. I want to smell the stink from the best seats possible. That's the best way I can think of to, you know, encourage Bengals ownership to strive and make changes for the better. After all, nothing says "change things" to a company like having it's patrons spending MORE money! And hell, those $10 ice cream sundaes that only club members get to buy that taste like soft serve from a Chinese buffet.... damn, mama, those look so dang goooooood!"

People re-upping their season tickets with Marvin still serving as the HC are part of the problem. People re-upping AND UPGRADING are out and out sabotaging the organization by feeding Mike Brown money and reinforcing his notion that the people of Cincinnati will eat whatever poop he shovels them as long as it's in an orange and black helmet.

Now you're alarmed. That's hilarious!  Hilarious

PS: Jeff Ruby didn't write that. he posted it off of ESPN from his twitter account.

I'm also thinking of getting CLUB SEATS this year........for the DETROIT LIONS!!! I cancelled my season tickets before this season after watching this floating turd of an organization for OVER 12 years!!! Yup i beat myself in the head everytime i think of the money i wasted.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 01:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Just in case...that was sarcasm. I know I made a "positive thread" (just to help people feel a little better) yesterday, but my stance is that the Bengals are handling things poorly overall. I think they misjudged - and tested - Whit's loyalty, and came out looking like fools. I understand letting Z walk for that gigantic contract, but at least be prepared to replace him properly when several good vet guards were available.

There's still some time to right things a bit. Bringing back Andre Smith would help, but judging off the propaganda Hobson is being instructed to put out, it looks like they're content to go into the season with Ogbuehi as the starter. If they felt good about Ogbuehi, why offer $12 million for Whit to stick around? It makes no sense.

Oh, I detected the sarcasm, and was referring to our illustrious days as "haters" on the old board.  My whole issue with Z is that he could have been extended....like they said they were saving for a couple of years ago when they couldn't spend his rollover money in FA. Mellow

:paul: :paul: :paul: :paul: :paul: :paul: :paul: :paul:

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
My response to Jeff Ruby would be "This is how they roll in Cincy"
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 01:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Just in case...that was sarcasm. I know I made a "positive thread" (just to help people feel a little better) yesterday, but my stance is that the Bengals are handling things poorly overall. I think they misjudged - and tested - Whit's loyalty, and came out looking like fools. I understand letting Z walk for that gigantic contract, but at least be prepared to replace him properly when several good vet guards were available.

I think what I find particularly funny is that Alexander the Great made sure we all knew our 5th round C/G Christian Westerman was no competition for 4th round C Russell Bodine. He made sure we all knew we were unfairly treating Bodine and needed to back off. Of course now that same 5th round C/G who wasn't good enough to compete with our turnstile C could be a viable replacement for our 1st round G we let walk without offering a contract. Oh Alexander the Great, you slay me.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 02:02 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: I think what I find particularly funny is that Alexander the Great made sure we all knew our 5th round C/G Christian Westerman was no competition for 4th round C Russell Bodine. He made sure we all knew we were unfairly treating Bodine and needed to back off. Of course now that same 5th round C/G who wasn't good enough to compete with our turnstile C could be a viable replacement for our 1st round G we let walk without offering a contract. Oh Alexander the Great, you slay me.

Facepalm :paul:

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
There will be a lot more turnover on the roster than usual this offseason. Way too early to claim they're "going in the wrong direction".
Reply/Quote
Fact of the matter is no team can pay every player what they think they're worth. It's still a young man's game no matter what they're willing or unwilling to pay. 
The Bengals are hardly the first team to let players walk who wanted paid a kings ransom. 
It probably won't work out in our favor, but I don't know that as established fact and since it isn't going to find it's way into my personal bank account I don't really care which team these guys are going to get paid by. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 02:12 PM)treee Wrote: There will be a lot more turnover on the roster than usual this offseason. Way too early to claim they're "going in the wrong direction".

I agree and disagree. It's too early because they could have a great draft and who knows who will be cut. When the Bengals dig through the cuts, they may be able to find someone to help. I disagree because I think it sends a bad message letting someone like Whitworth walk. I understand his age and letting him go early is better than letting him go late, but what he has meant to the franchise and locker room, you have to keep him.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 01:58 PM)Wyche Wrote: Oh, I detected the sarcasm, and was referring to our illustrious days as "haters" on the old board.  My whole issue with Z is that he could have been extended....like they said they were saving for a couple of years ago when they couldn't spend his rollover money in FA. Mellow

I believe the DeCastro deal messed all of that up. Both sides knew right then and there the Bengals weren't going to pay the kind of money Z eventually commanded. So, i blame the Steelers. Whatever

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 02:19 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: I agree and disagree. It's too early because they could have a great draft and who knows who will be cut. When the Bengals dig through the cuts, they may be able to find someone to help. I disagree because I think it sends a bad message letting someone like Whitworth walk. I understand his age and letting him go early is better than letting him go late, but what he has meant to the franchise and locker room, you have to keep him.

It's funny. A lot of the same people who are saying the FO is loyal to a fault are bashing them for not throwing giant stacks of cash at a 35 y/o tackle. 
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 02:23 PM)treee Wrote: It's funny. A lot of the same people who are saying the FO is loyal to a fault are bashing them for not throwing giant stacks of cash at a 35 y/o tackle. 

I get that, but he was still playing at a very high level. I think the loyal to a fault goes more to the coaching staff than players, but that's just my opinion. Again, better to let them go too early than too late, but I feel they should've kept Whitworth. On the flip side, would keeping Whit have prevented them from keeping DreK?
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 01:58 PM)Wyche Wrote: Oh, I detected the sarcasm, and was referring to our illustrious days as "haters" on the old board.  My whole issue with Z is that he could have been extended....like they said they were saving for a couple of years ago when they couldn't spend his rollover money in FA. Mellow

After the last couple offseasons (losing Nelson, MLJ, Sanu, Andre, Whit, Z), we should probably start to question the Bengals' roll over process. Some of us already have.

(03-10-2017, 02:02 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: I think what I find particularly funny is that Alexander the Great made sure we all knew our 5th round C/G Christian Westerman was no competition for 4th round C Russell Bodine. He made sure we all knew we were unfairly treating Bodine and needed to back off. Of course now that same 5th round C/G who wasn't good enough to compete with our turnstile C could be a viable replacement for our 1st round G we let walk without offering a contract. Oh Alexander the Great, you slay me.

This whole organization just seems to make things up on the fly. Money is always the biggest motivating factor with Mike Brown, and once he's done spending (or not spending) how he see's fit, he just instructs guys to spin spin spin. I like how in one of Hobspin's articles yesterday, he mentions rebuilding the o-line, and he brings up how it worked great in 2009. Completely ignoring that (a) the rebuild actually started in 2008 and (b) we had to use an unbalanced line with an extra tackle all year to offset the weakness in 2009.

That unbalanced line stuff made our offense more one-dimensional and predictable, which eventually was the team's undoing. I'm also sick of this team changing it's identity based on what personnel they have. It should be the opposite. They should be choosing personnel based on what their identity is. Hobson says we will probably be run heavy this year. We shouldn't have to become a heavy run team because Mike doesn't believe guards are worth paying (which is strange because they burned a 1st round pick on him).
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 02:25 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: I get that, but he was still playing at a very high level. I think the loyal to a fault goes more to the coaching staff than players, but that's just my opinion. Again, better to let them go too early than too late, but I feel they should've kept Whitworth. On the flip side, would keeping Whit have prevented them from keeping DreK?
Pacmans unknown status has certainly put the team in a bind. They should have cut him the day the tape surfaced. It probably would have helped with negotiations for both players but then again it appears the Bengals didn't want to commit to 36 year old Whit long term and rightfully so IMO. So yeah, they could have made room by cutting fat for sure but the Rams deal proved Whit wanted more. I'm interested in seeing if they made the right move.

Reply/Quote