Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals have had 3 #1 overall picks since inception
I see a lot of Bengals fans crying about the FO bungling drafts. Some is fair and some over the top. The Bengals have only had 3 #1 overall picks in their history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Cincinnati_Bengals_first-round_draft_picks

Dan Wilkinson - Did well
Kijana Carter - Major knee injury?
Carson Palmer - Did well until major knee injury

So, now we are number 4 in 2020.

I think when all is said and done, Joe Burrow will be the overwhelming draft expert pick for 2020. So, if we draft him, why would our fans not trust the pick? The team has no history in my opinion of botching a #1 overall draft pick in their history.

BTW...only 1 #2 overall and that was our first draft where PB drafted Bob Johnson, great center.

Thoughts??
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
MB has got to be the only GM in NFL history who has gotten to make four 1st overall picks. Side note, the Steelers haven't had the 1st overall pick in 50 years.

Edit- ok well it was 50 years ago, 1970.
Reply/Quote
There is no pleasing the fan base until the Bengals win in the playoffs with Mike Brown involved even remotely with this team.

Joe Burrow can have the football IQ of Tom Brady and Peyton Manning the arm of Brett favre and the fan base still would not be happy with the pick.

Now that the Bengals have the number one overall pick the choice has been made for them unless they do something bizarre and go a different direction. It would be hard even for the Cincinnati Bengals to blow this pick. Thankfully this year's NFL draft is quite strong in terms of player depth at most positions. No one wants to see their team pick early in the draft but if the Bengals had to have a bad season to fix things this is the year to do it.

The Bengals cannot solve all of their problems with one draft but it will head them in the right direction especially if they bring in a couple blue chip free agents.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I'll be happy with the Burrow pick, but the fact that MB is making his 4th pick from the top of the draft is what bums me out and makes the Bengals again look like a franchise that operates by its own stupid rules.

I guess it might not matter since a real GM would take Palmer and Burrow anyways.
Reply/Quote
You can't convince me that Burrows skill level just suddenly went from "good" to "greatest" at age 24 in his SIXTH college season.

He is a good QB, but his greatness is a product of the coaching and talent around him.

I think he is way overrated.  If his greatness was a product of his skills we would have seen it before this year.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 03:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You can't convince me that Burrows skill level just suddenly went from "good" to "greatest" at age 24 in his SIXTH college season.

He is a good QB, but his greatness is a product of the coaching and talent around him.

I think he is way overrated.  If his greatness was a product of his skills we would have seen it before this year.

I admittedly do not follow the kid, but from what I heard, once he left Ohio State he started working in the off season with throwing coaches like Tom House (maybe not him specifically, I'm not sure who it was) and is just steadily improving his game. Some people aren't born the greatest, but they make themselves over and over again until they are. 
Reply/Quote
As much as i want that next great thing at QB.... Chase young is gonna be hard to pass on
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 03:15 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: As much as i want that next great thing at QB.... Chase young is gonna be hard to pass on

We don't need ends....
Reply/Quote
If Burrow is a product of the system then every QB is a product of their system? Surround that QB with good to great players? Wow what a novel idea.
Go get a great-scheming OC or QB coach to work with "said" QB? Wow , another great novel idea. Use the strengths of that QB? Wow, we're really onto something.

Fact is that Burrow is one hell of a QB who has the ability to hit windows, great touch passes, can roll either way and square up enough (go watch the 3rd quarter pass earlier in the year against TX) to get zip on the ball, has a real nice ability to manage the pocket (only took AD 5 years to learn some of that)..Now add in the great size and strength,the leadership that kid had had his entire life, the calm demeanor, and the toughness and it's really an easy decision...
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 03:15 PM)Sled21 Wrote: We don't need ends....

Are the Bengals one player away from being great again?

Who is the best player available in the draft?

The Bengals rank at the league bottom in every defensive statistic in the league.

"We don't need ends.."  lmao  that is a a good one.
Reply/Quote
There are some QBs out there, even in this class, that can match his arm. Herbert's is probably better, but not by a ton.

Tua's ball is prettier, but if you want to talk system QBs and surrounding talent, this is the poster child. He's had an NFL offensive line, backs and receivers around him since his first snap.

Burrow has a great arm, exquisite accuracy but what separates him is his toughness and instinct. Guy has taken a pounding this year and gets up each time, seemingly stronger. He's much faster than he looks and has a great feel for when a pocket is collapsing and to take off. He's also exceptional at reading defenses. LSU uses the same type of passing game the Saints do - their passing game coordinator is Joe Brady, who learned everything from Sean Payton.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 03:30 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: There are some QBs out there, even in this class, that can match his arm. Herbert's is probably better, but not by a ton.

Tua's ball is prettier, but if you want to talk system QBs and surrounding talent, this is the poster child. He's had an NFL offensive line, backs and receivers around him since his first snap.

Burrow has a great arm, exquisite accuracy but what separates him is his toughness and instinct. Guy has taken a pounding this year and gets up each time, seemingly stronger. He's much faster than he looks and has a great feel for when a pocket is collapsing and to take off. He's also exceptional at reading defenses. LSU uses the same type of passing game the Saints do - their passing game coordinator is Joe Brady, who learned everything from Sean Payton.

Think about how disappointing this offense is going to be for Burrow then.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 03:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You can't convince me that Burrows skill level just suddenly went from "good" to "greatest" at age 24 in his SIXTH college season.

He's a hard worker and he's good, but you make a valid point. I've been trying to explain that to the JB or bust crowd.

He has Joe Brady drawing up the plays in the passing game.  Brady comes from the Saints organization. Both Joe's have had the benefit of using very good NFL schemes against over matched NCAA defenses all season long.

He has intangibles and works hard. He lacks arm strength, but anticipates his throwing windows pretty well. 

Ts, your point is valid and doesn't fall upon deaf ears. We obviously want hm to succeed if he's our QB, but expectations should be tempered in the beginning.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 03:50 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: He's a hard worker and he's good, but you make a valid point. I've been trying to explain that to the JB or bust crowd.

He has Joe Brady drawing up the plays in the passing game.  Brady comes from the Saints organization. Both Joe's have had the benefit of using very good NFL schemes against over matched NCAA defenses all season long.

He has intangibles and works hard. He lacks arm strength, but anticipates his throwing windows pretty well. 

Ts, your point is valid and doesn't fall upon deaf ears. We obviously want hm to succeed if he's our QB, but expectations should be tempered in the beginning.

So then he's acquitted himself well in an NFL system. Insert joke about Lac Taylor's system and "NFL."

And he does not lack arm strength. Whomever told you that was lying. 

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 03:30 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: There are some QBs out there, even in this class, that can match his arm. Herbert's is probably better, but not by a ton.

Burrow has average to good arm strength, exquisite accuracy but what separates him is his toughness and instinct. Guy has taken a pounding this year and gets up each time, seemingly stronger. He's much faster than he looks and has a great feel for when a pocket is collapsing and to take off. He's also exceptional at reading defenses. LSU uses the same type of passing game the Saints do - their passing game coordinator is Joe Brady, who learned everything from Sean Payton.
I fixed your post for you. Joe Burrow DOES NOT have elite arm strength. Obviously, you haven't watched hm play all that much. If you had, you would know that his arm strength is one of his weaknesses.

That was the case while he was at Ohio State and it still is. Throwing the ball in wintery weather is much different than tossing it around down on the bayou.

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 03:58 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: So then he's acquitted himself well in an NFL system. Insert joke about Lac Taylor's system and "NFL."

He has a weak arm. Period!! Keep drinking that cool aid.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 04:02 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: He has a weak arm. Period!! Keep drinking that cool aid.

You're high. I've watched every game this year. 

And it's "kool aid" I'm drinking, you charlatan. 

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 03:24 PM)higgy100 Wrote: If Burrow is a product of the system then every QB is a product of their system? Surround that QB with good to great players? Wow what a novel idea.
Go get a great-scheming OC or QB coach to work with "said" QB? Wow , another great novel idea. Use the strengths of that QB? Wow, we're really onto something.

Fact is that Burrow is one hell of a QB who has the ability to hit windows, great touch passes, can roll either way and square up enough (go watch the 3rd quarter pass earlier in the year against TX) to get zip on the ball, has a real nice ability to manage the pocket (only took AD 5 years to learn some of that)..Now add in the great size and strength,the leadership that kid had had his entire life, the calm demeanor, and the toughness and it's really an easy decision...

Great post higgy ThumbsUp 
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 03:58 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: So then he's acquitted himself well in an NFL system. Insert joke about Lac Taylor's system and "NFL."

He doesn't have a great Arm( it's definitely NFL caliber though) although it wouldn't prevent me from drafting him. 
You know it is ok to admit that he isn't a perfect prospect and still say the guy is worth the #1 overall pick.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 04:55 PM)J24 Wrote: He doesn't have a great Arm( it's definitely NFL caliber though) although it wouldn't prevent me from drafting him. 
You know it is ok to admit that he isn't a perfect prospect and still say the guy is worth the #1 overall pick.

He's not a perfect prospect. Actually, just a couple of months ago I was 100% Team Herbert. Whom I've acknowledged has a better arm. Plenty of QBs do. But he's got a good one. More than good enough. And with Burrow, I think people underestimate his arm because he throws passes with more touch than piss. 

Reply/Quote