Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals have interviewed Greg Williams...TWICE!
(01-10-2019, 05:28 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote:

Good. Maybe a coach would have enough balls to get Geno motivated instead of him and others standing around with their thumbs up their asses. 

Some people on this board are clueless as to what the actual problems are on the Bengals. The LB's gave up the most yards receiving in the league by some 200+ yards as a group. ALMOST 2000 yards passing they gave up alone.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 01:20 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Speculation is it was for Defensive Coordinator position.

I don't really like this as Williams never sticks anywhere more than 2-3 years.

Nowadays, coordinators never stick around for more than 3 years, especially if they're good and popular names. Our potential new coach just became an OC this year and will be leaving them to become a head coach for another team. You always should get the best guy out there period. Don't worry about 2-3 years down the line cause if they succeed, you are gonna have to replace them regardless.

Not saying that Williams is an elite candidate or anything but just saying in general.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 05:31 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Some people on this board are clueless as to what the actual problems are on the Bengals. The LB's gave up the most yards receiving in the league by some 200+ yards as a group. ALMOST 2000 yards passing they gave up alone.

Oh my bad. I knew that was a problem. I didn't think I had to say it in every post. I just thought defensive players standing around while the offense fights to get into the endzone was a problem too. Apparently you don't think so. 
Reply/Quote
I can't say i would be 100% motivated playing for Merv. Yes, all players are professionals but when winning and losing is a fine line, the difference between 90% effort and 100% effort is huge.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Weren't the Browns near the bottom in the league in defense this year?

Putting aside the graveyard that is our linebacker corps, we need a DC that can reignite the fire in these guys. Too many times we are seeing guys just standing there while the opposing offense grinds forward for a few extra yards. Our cornerbacks finished the season with zero interceptions between them. It's sickening.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 07:00 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Weren't the Browns near the bottom in the league in defense this year?

Putting aside the graveyard that is our linebacker corps, we need a DC that can reignite the fire in these guys.  Too many times we are seeing guys just standing there while the opposing offense grinds forward for a few extra yards.  Our cornerbacks finished the season with zero interceptions between them.  It's sickening.

idk their stats but their DC ran that team well the last 8 games.    I like it as a potential Assistant head coach that the new guy could lean on for advice if needed.

Not sure who else is out there for us for a DC job.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 02:14 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Browns ranked 30th in Yards per game allowed this season and 21st in points given up.

Last year, they ranked 14th in Yards per game allowed and 30th in points given up.

True, but they were young and a little scarce on talent. Say what you want about our defense, but I feel we have more talent on D than the Browns. 

Williams has had some really good defenses in this league. I like him over Vance, who seems to be a popular candidate on here (for DC) despite ranking 29th in yards and 18th in points in his only season...with a more talented defense.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Greg Schiano is available.
Reply/Quote
Williams would be the best fit for our soft ass defense. Him and Burfict would get along GREAT.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 07:09 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: idk their stats but their DC ran that team well the last 8 games.    I like it as a potential Assistant head coach that the new guy could lean on for advice if needed.

Not sure who else is out there for us for a DC job.

We already have an assistant to the head coach on staff
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 11:48 PM)chopperbobby Wrote: We already have an assistant to the head coach on staff

Who is it?  He must not be doing much right now, the Bengals not having a HC and all.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 10:44 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Greg Schiano is available.

God NO!  
Twitch
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 07:23 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: True, but they were young and a little scarce on talent. Say what you want about our defense, but I feel we have more talent on D than the Browns. 

Williams has had some really good defenses in this league. I like him over Vance, who seems to be a popular candidate on here (for DC) despite ranking 29th in yards and 18th in points in his only season...with a more talented defense.

Yea, agreed. They have one decent LB (Collins), and everyone else is meh, injuries to Ward/Mitchell/Schobert, irrelevance of the Dline outside of Garrett and a tough back end schedule (ranked third toughest) played a part.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 09:57 AM)McC Wrote: Who is it?  He must not be doing much right now, the Bengals not having a HC and all.

lol think he means hue who has no contract with us past feb
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 05:31 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Some people on this board are clueless as to what the actual problems are on the Bengals. The LB's gave up the most yards receiving in the league by some 200+ yards as a group. ALMOST 2000 yards passing they gave up alone.

Coaches coach and players play. My wish list in FA has us getting a great cover and 3 down LB like Wright from Seattle or Mosely from the Ravens. I doubt Mosely slips through the Ravens grasp, but I think Wright may be available.

I also like J. Hicks in FA

I also hope we draft a 1st round LB, a 3 down LB. 

So, I agree our LB group is horrid, one guy won't fix it.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 06:43 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Oh my bad. I knew that was a problem. I didn't think I had to say it in every post. I just thought defensive players standing around while the offense fights to get into the endzone was a problem too. Apparently you don't think so. 

Geno is a HOF player. It's unfair to him to cherrypick 1 play to point out he just stands around.

You could find that footage of every player in the NFL.

Plus, the issue on that play was poor tackling from the guys trying to tackle Njoku.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 10:44 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Greg Schiano is available.

And there is a good reason for that.

He turned a bunch of 4 and 5 star recruits into one of the worst defenses in the country.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 12:16 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Coaches coach and players play. My wish list in FA has us getting a great cover and 3 down LB like Wright from Seattle or Mosely from the Ravens. I doubt Mosely slips through the Ravens grasp, but I think Wright may be available.

I also like J. Hicks in FA

I also hope we draft a 1st round LB, a 3 down LB. 

So, I agree our LB group is horrid, one guy won't fix it.

Would love to have Mosley but, like you said, the will not let him go.  He's the key to their defense and, if not for him, the Steelers might have been in the playoffs.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
If the browns pass on Gregg, I'll be happy to pass myself.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 01:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And there is a good reason for that.

He turned a bunch of 4 and 5 star recruits into one of the worst defenses in the country.

I feel like he's another one that the game passed by in some ways.
Reply/Quote