Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Bengals have no plans on trading the #1 pick
This so called "source" could be a guy driving the delivery van that drops the food off at the kitchen in PBS who heard a guy in the kitchen saying he was told be the girl that was mopping the floor who heard the zerox girl talking to the cleaner. The cleaner said he was emptying the bin in Van Pelts assistants office when Zac walked past and told Alex that we weren't trading the pick!!!!

This is a made up bullshit story by a journalists who's opinion is based on the 3 times previously when we had the 1st pick and didn't trade it.
Reply/Quote
I have no doubt that the Bengals are going to draft Burrow. I can't see a deal that another team will offer that Mike Brown will accept. This is Mike Brown's time to howl, he wants to be the big cheese and he loves franchise QB's. The Bengals get to stand on top of the mountain and have the spotlight shown on them for one night and Mike Brown feels like a kid at Christmas, he loves his precious. Ol' the tickets he'll sell with his bright shiny new Heisman trophy winning record breaking new toy! Now if only he will surround him with enough talent through the draft and free agency to help Burrow and the team be a success; that's the real question that will have to be answered.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 04:59 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I hope that this quiets some of the absurd trade scenario speculations that have been going around, but I doubt that it will.

The Bengals are in a position to have the new franchise QB step in, and be able to fix most of what was wrong with the roster, with just a few key free agency additions and a solid draft.

All we need is for the Bengals not tp punt on Free Agency like they usually do and also to draft better than they did last year or the last few years - long shot but better than nothing. 
Reply/Quote
Enough with the silly talk we will gave our franchise qb soon enough and let’s move forward. 2 quality free agents and we will be on the right path.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 06:37 PM)Joelist Wrote: All we need is for the Bengals not tp punt on Free Agency like they usually do and also to draft better than they did last year or the last few years - long shot but better than nothing. 

I completely agree.  If ever there was a time for the management to suck it up, and admit the failings of recent drafts, this is it.  Even just picking up two players that are relevant will make a huge difference, a Guard and a Linebacker, and neither of them "3rd tier" guys.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 05:42 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Derek Carr isnt a potential franchise qb. Hes a good qb, but he isnt THAT much better. We already know Carrs ceiling and has had a leg injury. We can pick someone with the potential to be great and no qb offered in any of these trades has that potential.

That's what Burrow represents.

MAYBE that's what Burrow represents.  He hasn't played an NFL down.  We're putting a lot on his shoulders.  People expect him to fix the Bengals single-handedly.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 05:42 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Derek Carr isnt a potential franchise qb. Hes a good qb, but he isnt THAT much better. We already know Carrs ceiling and has had a leg injury. We can pick someone with the potential to be great and no qb offered in any of these trades has that potential.

That's what Burrow represents.i disagree on Carr look at what he did this yearr..top 10 QB in passing rating yards etc on a rebuilding team, go back to his great season also, he played for  worse teams in his career than Andy..you dont need elite besides if your going to assume Burrow ability you have assume 2 picks 10 to 20 also..plus an established QB.. potential mean you have done nothing yet..I have to think about Carr and the potential of those picks over Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 06:52 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: MAYBE that's what Burrow represents.  He hasn't played an NFL down.  We're putting a lot on his shoulders.  People expect him to fix the Bengals single-handedly.

That's what happens when you draft a qb early, you have to take a chance on someone with the potential to be a franchise qb from day one or a good player plus some picks and for sure not have a franchise qb? 

I get that people want more picks to maybe fill a few holes, but I want a guy who will always have the potential of making a deep play off run every single year because of the QB play
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 05:50 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: I have no doubt that the Bengals are going to draft Burrow. I can't see a deal that another team will offer that Mike Brown will accept. This is Mike Brown's time to howl, he wants to be the big cheese and he loves franchise QB's. The Bengals get to stand on top of the mountain and have the spotlight shown on them for one night and Mike Brown feels like a kid at Christmas, he loves his precious. Ol' the tickets he'll sell with his bright shiny new Heisman trophy winning record breaking new toy! Now if only he will surround him with enough talent through the draft and free agency to help Burrow and the team be a success; that's the real question that will have to be answered.

Indeed

There's an article I've read a few times, Mike Brown quote from the 90's early 00's I think ? Where he says words to the effect of " all you have to do is find your bell cow QB, it sounds to simple but it's true". He watched his dad go on the run with Otto Graham, he's been looking for his ever since.

This franchise isn't far from the edge of the cliff and MB knows it, look at ticket sales the last few years. Can you imagine the backlash if he traded the pick away and it flopped ? There's more of a chance you're gonna push a rope than MB will trade away this pick.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 06:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I completely agree.  If ever there was a time for the management to suck it up, and admit the failings of recent drafts, this is it.  Even just picking up two players that are relevant will make a huge difference, a Guard and a Linebacker, and neither of them "3rd tier" guys.  

I saw a stat the other day that showed that over the last 16 years, 14 teams who had 5 or less wins and finished last in their division, ended up winning their division and going to the playoffs the following year. That doesn't even include teams like the Rams or 49ers, who had 5 or less wins but weren't last in their division, or teams like the Bengals, who went to the playoffs after winning only 4 games in 2010, but didn't win the division. 

There are numerous examples of teams that have turned things around dramatically in just one season. This is why I'm both really excited and also very wary going into this offseason. If they draft Burrow and add some quality pieces with free agency and the draft, then 2020 could be a pretty damn interesting year. If they half-ass the offseason and waste the opportunity they have in front of them (new QB, picking 1st in every round, lots of cap, etc) then it's going to be very disappointing and frustrating.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 07:06 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: That's what happens when you draft a qb early, you have to take a chance on someone with the potential to be a franchise qb from day one or a good player plus some picks and for sure not have a franchise qb? 

I get that people want more picks to maybe fill a few holes, but I want a guy who will always have the potential of making a deep play off run every single year because of the QB play

I don't disagree with that.  I will be happy if they draft Burrow.  I just think that some crazy offers are going to come through because of his great play during the championship game, and they should be evaluated and considered, not just shut down immediately.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 05:48 PM)JWW1971 Wrote: This so called "source" could be a guy driving the delivery van that drops the food off at the kitchen in PBS who heard a guy in the kitchen saying he was told be the girl that was mopping the floor who heard the zerox girl talking to the cleaner. The cleaner said he was emptying the bin in Van Pelts assistants office when Zac walked past and told Alex that we weren't trading the pick!!!!

This is a made up bullshit story by a journalists who's opinion is based on the 3 times previously when we had the 1st pick and didn't trade it.

Who is your source for this information?
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 07:24 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I don't disagree with that.  I will be happy if they draft Burrow.  I just think that some crazy offers are going to come through because of his great play during the championship game, and they should be evaluated and considered, not just shut down immediately.

Just my opinion, but I think even to get the Bengals to entertain serious talks, the initial offer would have to be something insane. I just don't see that happening, but you never know I guess.

While there's no guarantee that any player will be great, I think Burrow is as close to a sure thing as you can hope for, especially at QB. It's not everyday you get that opportunity, and if you pass on it, you better be getting a king's ransom and then some. I just can't imagine Mike, Zac and the crew letting Burrow go somewhere else. The fit in Cincinnati just seems to be to perfect, IMO. 
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 07:24 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I don't disagree with that.  I will be happy if they draft Burrow.  I just think that some crazy offers are going to come through because of his great play during the championship game, and they should be evaluated and considered, not just shut down immediately.

I mean, the craziest offer tge commentators were saying cam and a buncha 1sts and they all said hell no because of what a franchise qb means to a football team. All those picks are fools gold if Burrow wins with the Panthers every year
Reply/Quote
The Cincinnati Bengals front office needs low hanging fruit to not whiff on a draft pick at least lately. Giving this front office more draft picks and trusting them to make the right choices is asking too much especially with the sorry condition of the scouting department.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 07:12 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I saw a stat the other day that showed that over the last 16 years, 14 teams who had 5 or less wins and finished last in their division, ended up winning their division and going to the playoffs the following year. That doesn't even include teams like the Rams or 49ers, who had 5 or less wins but weren't last in their division, or teams like the Bengals, who went to the playoffs after winning only 4 games in 2010, but didn't win the division. 

There are numerous examples of teams that have turned things around dramatically in just one season. This is why I'm both really excited and also very wary going into this offseason. If they draft Burrow and add some quality pieces with free agency and the draft, then 2020 could be a pretty damn interesting year. If they half-ass the offseason and waste the opportunity they have in front of them (new QB, picking 1st in every round, lots of cap, etc) then it's going to be very disappointing and frustrating.

I would say that part of the reason has to be the scheduling by placement rules of the NFL.  The set things up to allow for parity, for one year's losers to be next year's exciting team.  And you're right, this could be a very exciting time to be a Bengal fan.  But, like you said, the Management has to do their part.  They need to use that cap space to improve the roster in fundamental positions that recent drafts have come up short in, for the team to have a fair chance at success.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 07:33 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Just my opinion, but I think even to get the Bengals to entertain serious talks, the initial offer would have to be something insane. I just don't see that happening, but you never know I guess.

While there's no guarantee that any player will be great, I think Burrow is as close to a sure thing as you can hope for, especially at QB. It's not everyday you get that opportunity, and if you pass on it, you better be getting a king's ransom and then some. I just can't imagine Mike, Zac and the crew letting Burrow go somewhere else. The fit in Cincinnati just seems to be to perfect, IMO. 

Agree

The opening offer would have to be something basically never before heard of to even entertain taking a look at. And that's just to be heard. Miami is the only team that even comes close to having an offer. And I'd say they're entrenched in Tua and the picks to rebuild their team.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 08:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I would say that part of the reason has to be the scheduling by placement rules of the NFL.  The set things up to allow for parity, for one year's losers to be next year's exciting team.  And you're right, this could be a very exciting time to be a Bengal fan.  But, like you said, the Management has to do their part.  They need to use that cap space to improve the roster in fundamental positions that recent drafts have come up short in, for the team to have a fair chance at success.

My gut instinct is MB knows this. Just crossing fingers he finally opens up the wallet and acts on this gift that's fell in his lap.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 04:35 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: What if the Dolphins gave us all three of their first round picks?  #4, #20, and #24?  I'd be tempted.  I'd be very happy with Burrow, but I'm just saying there are scenarios of possible offers that would need a second look before saying no.

Miami has just as many holes as the Bengals. Why would they mortgage their foreseeable future for a QB with no way to build around him?
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 08:12 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: My gut instinct is MB knows this. Just crossing fingers he finally opens up the wallet and acts on this gift that's fell in his lap.

Sure as hell hope so!

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote