Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Bengals have no plans on trading the #1 pick
(01-19-2020, 04:35 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: What if the Dolphins gave us all three of their first round picks?  #4, #20, and #24?  I'd be tempted.  I'd be very happy with Burrow, but I'm just saying there are scenarios of possible offers that would need a second look before saying no.

IF we had a competent GM who had the freedom to sign any FA's and draft as he wants, would I consider that.

JB isn't gonna magically "fix" this team. We have more holes than can be addressed in 2 drafts. So we have to break down and sign some marquee players in order to give JB and ZT a fair shot.

This was a big reason why the Akili trade is such a black eye on this franchise (aside from Akili sucking). The team needed way more help than just a QB and their lack of activity in FA means they needed as many picks as possible in the drafts. It really ruined Coslet's career and If I recall, Coslet also wanted to make that trade.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 04:35 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: What if the Dolphins gave us all three of their first round picks?  #4, #20, and #24?  I'd be tempted.  I'd be very happy with Burrow, but I'm just saying there are scenarios of possible offers that would need a second look before saying no.

Excellent post Bonnie! JB has looked terrific this season. Ts, I've been trying to explain to others for a couple of months that the FO needs to be open minded with this decision. This draft has serious talent at QB and WR.

As good as Joe has been, and as a great of a fit he should be, it's still a team sport. Takes a complete TEAM to win the Super Bowl.

Ts, I would be stoked to have Joe at the QB position. He showed a ton of poise down the stretch. Deserves the respect that he has earned.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 08:18 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Miami has just as many holes as the Bengals. Why would they mortgage their foreseeable future for a QB with no way to build around him?

Uhm, because Miami is not afraid to dive into FA's?
Reply/Quote
This draft isn't that great at QB. There's Burrow and then a "risky" Tua who are head and shoulders above the rest.

I've watched Herbert for 2 years now and I keep waiting for him to play like his hype and it just never happens. He doesn't' have the "it" factor. Had a chance to lock up a playoff spot with a road win against Arizona State and he played bad. Had a chance to beat Auburn late in the game and just came up empty.

Eason is also so frustrating to watch. He's got a cannon for an arm, but seems to struggle horribly when it comes to reading the field. Jordan Love is a guy that has good upside, but played terrible this year.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 05:07 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: We don't know that.  The draft is a crap shoot.  I'm looking at Mahomes right now.  He went #10 in 2017.  He would definitely go #1 in a do-over.  Myles Garrett went #1 in 2017.  He's hotheaded and has had problems with roughing penalties, and don't forget that Steelers/Browns fight.  Nobody would pick him over Mahomes now.  Mitchell Trubisky went #2 in 2017, 8 spots ahead of Mahomes.  Enough said there.

She's owning nearly every one of you. The same cast of closed minded rabble, except for a few. The draft IS a crap shoot, period. 
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 02:22 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: IF we had a competent GM who had the freedom to sign any FA's and draft as he wants, would I consider that.

JB isn't gonna magically "fix" this team. We have more holes than can be addressed in 2 drafts. So we have to break down and sign some marquee players in order to give JB and ZT a fair shot.

This was a big reason why the Akili trade is such a black eye on this franchise (aside from Akili sucking). The team needed way more help than just a QB and their lack of activity in FA means they needed as many picks as possible in the drafts. It really ruined Coslet's career and If I recall, Coslet also wanted to make that trade.

I was so devastated that they passed on that trade.  I LOVED Champ Bailey that year and was just waiting for him in stripes.

That being said, the Redskins drafted some damn good players with the picks that they got in that deal and guess what it got them?  Pretty much nothing.  Yes, they built a better team, but the reality is that you have to have top level QB play to go anywhere in the NFL.  Not to say you can't do it without, but you'll need a defense with multiple hall of fame caliber players to do it.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 03:09 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Uhm, because Miami is not afraid to dive into FA's?

Umm they gave away their talent last offseason for those picks they now have. Why didn't they go after FAs last year?
Reply/Quote
Burrow could be the next Luck or Leaf but if the FO takes him and he fails or doesn't take him and he thrives which makes the FO look dumber. If he Fails then they can say that he was the best player to take at #1 but if they trade him they will look like even more idiotic than they already are if he helps another team. WELCOME TO CINCINNAI JOE. HE WILL NOT BE TRADED.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 03:32 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28514417/sources-bengals-no-intention-trading-no-1-overall-draft-pick?sf228464393=1

Hopefully this quiets a few more people and dispels some rumors.

Good, no team could offer enough IMO anyways.

Burrow is special. Upgrade the O-line, put weapons around Burrow and we are in a much better place.

This position doesn't come around often, don't screw it up.
Reply/Quote
I think making comparisons to other past QBs, whether they were busts or lived up to expectations, are hard to make for this current situation. There have been QBs in the past that have had great seasons and shot up draft boards only to disappoint, but none of them had as good of a season as Burrow just had. Has a QB who just set records for most TD passes in a season, most TDs responsible for in a season, placed 3rd all-time in passing yards in a season, placed 2nd all time in completion percentage, won the Hesiman, and led his team to a National Championship ever been passed on with the first pick? Has a QB who checked off 3 of those ever been passed on with the first pick? Has a player who checked off 3 or more of those ever been traded for?

I feel like getting the chance to draft a player who had as dominant a season as Joe Burrow has just had is a little unprecedented. With that in mind any trade offers should be pretty unprecedented as well. If they aren’t then I think we absolutely have to draft Joe Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 05:41 PM)BengalsFan1986 Wrote: I think making comparisons to other past QBs, whether they were busts or lived up to expectations, are hard to make for this current situation. There have been QBs in the past that have had great seasons and shot up draft boards only to disappoint, but none of them had as good of a season as Burrow just had. Has a QB who just set records for most TD passes in a season, most TDs responsible for in a season, placed 3rd all-time in passing yards in a season, placed 2nd all time in completion percentage, won the Hesiman, and led his team to a National Championship ever been passed on with the first pick? Has a QB who checked off 3 of those ever been passed on with the first pick? Has a player who checked off 3 or more of those ever been traded for?

I feel like getting the chance to draft a player who had as dominant a season as Joe Burrow has just had is a little unprecedented. With that in mind any trade offers should be pretty unprecedented as well. If they aren’t then I think we absolutely have to draft Joe Burrow.

Even the fact that teams are even entertaining trade scenarios with us says a lot about how much teams are interested.

Draft the man and protect him with a good O-line and give him weapons and we will be way better off than getting a ton of picks
that most likely won't start anyway in their rookie season.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 03:16 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: She's owning nearly every one of you. The same cast of closed minded rabble, except for a few. The draft IS a crap shoot, period. 

Thanks. As you said I will be very happy with Burrow. But if a crazy offer comes through....
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 03:13 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: This draft isn't that great at QB.  There's Burrow and then a "risky" Tua who are head and shoulders above the rest.

I've watched Herbert for 2 years now and I keep waiting for him to play like his hype and it just never happens.  He doesn't' have the "it" factor.  Had a chance to lock up a playoff spot with a road win against Arizona State and he played bad.  Had a chance to beat Auburn late in the game and just came up empty.

Eason is also so frustrating to watch.  He's got a cannon for an arm, but seems to struggle horribly when it comes to reading the field.  Jordan Love is a guy that has good upside, but played terrible this year.

This, there is Burrow and everyone else. Pick him, easy peazy.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 06:18 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Thanks. As you said I will be very happy with Burrow. But if a crazy offer comes through....

Usually always agree with you Bonnie but not this time, I don't care what anyone offers us honestly.

I think Burrow will be that good. We need a Franchise QB terribly if we want to win a Superbowl. Burrow is the best to come out in a very long time, maybe the best ever. Doesn't matter if we get an entire team's picks, Burrow will start this season, who knows if any of our picks will start as rookies? Cause you are right, the Draft is a crap shoot, but Burrow looks as sure a thing as I have seen.

He has ice water in his veins, he is smart, accurate, great pocket awareness (which we need desperately at the QB position), he can 
run and knows when to run when teams don't expect it, he doesn't turn the ball over and I could just go on and on.

Dude could be great, I want a Superbowl, I want Joe Burrow in stripes.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 03:13 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: This draft isn't that great at QB.  There's Burrow and then a "risky" Tua who are head and shoulders above the rest.

I've watched Herbert for 2 years now and I keep waiting for him to play like his hype and it just never happens.  He doesn't' have the "it" factor.  Had a chance to lock up a playoff spot with a road win against Arizona State and he played bad.  Had a chance to beat Auburn late in the game and just came up empty.

Eason is also so frustrating to watch.  He's got a cannon for an arm, but seems to struggle horribly when it comes to reading the field.  Jordan Love is a guy that has good upside, but played terrible this year.

Yeah, not great but mocks have 4 to 5 qbs going in the first with more going in the 2nd. Now, I agree that most of these qbs need to sit for some time, but up to 3 qbs could have started right away this 6ear before Tua had his hip injury. 

Totally disagreed with Fromms declaration, he had a year left to improve and possibly go as grantee a higher pick next year and I thought he needed it the most.

This is a good year for picking a qb for the future. Burrow is the most prepared to start day 1.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 07:06 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: That's what happens when you draft a qb early, you have to take a chance on someone with the potential to be a franchise qb from day one or a good player plus some picks and for sure not have a franchise qb? 

I get that people want more picks to maybe fill a few holes, but I want a guy who will always have the potential of making a deep play off run every single year because of the QB play
*This*

Couldn't agree more or have said it any better myself. This might be our chance to have our own Mahomes, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, etc. To me there is almost no draft capital on 1 single team that is worth the possibility of having "THAT GUY" at qb finally here in Cincy. I watched every single LSU play for the past 2 years and folks, he's the real deal and he has only gotten better. He is a good leader and the most accurate passer I have ever seen. He is worth taking a chance on.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 07:01 PM)BleedOnB Wrote: *This*

Couldn't agree more or have said it any better myself. This might be our chance to have our own Mahomes, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, etc. To me there is almost no draft capital on 1 single team that is worth the possibility of having "THAT GUY" at qb finally here in Cincy. I watched every single LSU play for the past 2 years and folks, he's the real deal and he has only gotten better. He is a good leader and the most accurate passer I have ever seen. He is worth taking a chance on.

but it takes more than just that guy to make those Runs... Outside this season its been a while for Rodgers and Brees has been 1 and done lately.

Just having a Good/Great QB isnt enough to gaurantee success...    Fun to watch games sure  but not wins.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 06:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Usually always agree with you Bonnie but not this time, I don't care what anyone offers us honestly.

I think Burrow will be that good. We need a Franchise QB terribly if we want to win a Superbowl. Burrow is the best to come out in a very long time, maybe the best ever. Doesn't matter if we get an entire team's picks, Burrow will start this season, who knows if any of our picks will start as rookies? Cause you are right, the Draft is a crap shoot, but Burrow looks as sure a thing as I have seen.

He has ice water in his veins, he is smart, accurate, great pocket awareness (which we need desperately at the QB position), he can 
run and knows when to run when teams don't expect it, he doesn't turn the ball over and I could just go on and on.

Dude could be great, I want a Superbowl, I want Joe Burrow in stripes.

I totally get it and I don’t disagree. Still I could understand if they traded the pick for an unbelievable deal.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 10:18 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: No and No.

Exactly. Carr sucks anyway in my opinion. I'd rather just keep Andy
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 03:09 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Uhm, because Miami is not afraid to dive into FA's?

Well it helps that FA’s want to sign in Miami. No state tax, great weather, etc. People seem to think all we have to do is make the best offer and we automatically will get the best players. Doesn’t work like that.

Reply/Quote