Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals have 'strong money' on table for Dre
Reply/Quote
LT C RG RT

Which of these spots will the guy come from who kills Andy Dalton next year?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 05:11 PM)McC Wrote: LT       C   RG  RT

Which of these spots will the guy come from who kills Andy Dalton next year?

All of the above in a cumulative, repetitive, and classic Bengalization process.  
Reply/Quote
Here's my questions and I'm just spitballing here. Did the Bengals not know he was going to be a free agent this year? They know they could have been negotiating with him before now, right? Was waiting until other teams could throw money at him the best plan? We decided to let him negotiate with competent front offices and contenders who will actually spend money for talent why?

My head hurts.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 05:14 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: Here's my questions and I'm just spitballing here. Did the Bengals not know he was going to be a free agent this year? They know they could have been negotiating with him before now, right? Was waiting until other teams could throw money at him the best plan? We decided to let him negotiate with competent front offices and contenders who will actually spend money for talent why?

My head hurts.

How do you know that they haven't?
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 05:14 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: Here's my questions and I'm just spitballing here. Did the Bengals not know he was going to be a free agent this year? They know they could have been negotiating with him before now, right? Was waiting until other teams could throw money at him the best plan? We decided to let him negotiate with competent front offices and contenders who will actually spend money for talent why?

My head hurts.

They probably wanted to see how he performed. Also, they may have talked to his agent last year and came in with a low offer. Sometimes players bet on themselves, like Iloka last year.

I won't be surprised if we hear about an extension a couple of hours before free agency officially opens tomorrow.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote

My head hurts.

So they can say they tried and couldn't do it.  They put "strong" money on the table.  Another team's stronger money comes in and kicks it off.  Cue Spinmeister.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
We would of been fine without Kirkpatrick.

Losing Whitworth will destroy us though.

Pathetic. This guy played decent last year in his contract year but this is what scares me.

Kirkpatrick reminds me too much of Adam with his cry baby antics.

Who is to say he just goes back to his poor play after being paid.

He doesn't scream outstanding, hard working, class act gentleman to me.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 05:17 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: How do you know that they haven't?

I honestly don't. Pure speculation on my part. However, they've had since the season ended. If they put "strong money" on the table now, they could've done that and hopefully wrapped this up before getting into a bidding war.

(03-08-2017, 05:18 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: They probably wanted to see how he performed. Also, they may have talked to his agent last year and came in with a low offer. Sometimes players bet on themselves, like Iloka last year.

I won't be surprised if we hear about an extension a couple of hours before free agency officially opens tomorrow.

I get that. Just voicing my frustration with how all of this has been handled. We've had since week 17 to negotiate this extension. If keeping him were a priority, I would've done everything possible to get this done before other teams had the opportunity to cost us more money.
Reply/Quote

My head hurts.

They probably figured that one of the other two first round corners plus a solid vet in Adam Jones on the roster might make him expendable.  That's actually not a bad position to take IMO.  You draft Dennard and Jackson to start one day, hopefully in the 2nd or 3rd year.  

Unfortunately, Dennard has disappointed and Jackson hasn't seen the field.  On top of that, Jones is out doing Pac Man stuff again. decreasing his dependability.  

Much like the Whitworth scenario, their preparations blew up in their faces again gave Dre massive leverage in negotiations.

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 05:26 PM)samhain Wrote: They probably figured that one of the other two first round corners plus a solid vet in Adam Jones on the roster might make him expendable.  That's actually not a bad position to take IMO.  You draft Dennard and Jackson to start one day, hopefully in the 2nd or 3rd year.  

Unfortunately, Dennard has disappointed and Jackson hasn't seen the field.  On top of that, Jones is out doing Pac Man stuff again. decreasing his dependability.  

Much like the Whitworth scenario, their preparations blew up in their faces again gave Dre massive leverage in negotiations.

I completely agree. If Dre does bail, I think the Bengals will be able to get over it much better than losing Whitworth. I also get Dre betting on himself and he's going to be able to cash in because of it.

I just feel that if he was as much of a priority as the team is making him now, this could've already been wrapped up.
Reply/Quote
Is it Bengals strong money or rest of the league strong money? The two are not necessarily the same. And way to go after the guy you could most afford to lose. If this ain't Bizarro World...

Reply/Quote
Would rather have an extra third next year's draft.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 05:24 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: I get that. Just voicing my frustration with how all of this has been handled. We've had since week 17 to negotiate this extension. If keeping him were a priority, I would've done everything possible to get this done before other teams had the opportunity to cost us more money.

Understandable, but that's how the Bengals operate. It is very frustrating for us fans. The Bengals most likely don't want to "overpay" for Dre, but Dre is probably trying to get Janoris Jenkins type money.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 05:28 PM)McC Wrote: Is it Bengals strong money or rest of the league strong money?  The two are not necessarily the same.  And way to go after the guy you could most afford to lose.  If this ain't Bizarro World...

This is pretty much already everything I wanted to say in this thread.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 05:37 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: This is pretty much already everything I wanted to say in this thread.

Great minds think alike.

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 05:11 PM)McC Wrote: LT       C   RG  RT

Which of these spots will the guy come from who kills Andy Dalton next year
Defense still important.. so at least we can keep the score low until Dalton recovers.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 05:28 PM)McC Wrote: Is it Bengals strong money or rest of the league strong money?  The two are not necessarily the same.  And way to go after the guy you could most afford to lose.  If this ain't Bizarro World...

I don't know if we can afford to lose him..  Id say for the money per year value   

and Age factor... (I love whitworth but wouldn't give him more than a year contract at a time at his age... unless the back years were completely cap hit free.)

Bengals most likely have offers out to all their main free agents...  Doesn't mean they wont choose to test the market and that's their choice.
Reply/Quote

My head hurts.

The NBA has it set up way better IMO. In the NBA these deals happen a little faster because amounts are starting to become more uniform across the board. AKA a 5th year superstar can only make up to this amount, and 10th year superstar with bird rights can make UP TO a set amount. Idk if NFL is set up like that so it makes sense deals take longer
Reply/Quote

My head hurts.

Im going to answer these questions 

Yes,  they did negotiate, actually still under signing window, last time i checked players are not robots and actually have souls and brains to make that decision on their own.. called a Free Market  
Reply/Quote