Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals have to take Chase Young
I'm sure Arizona fans wish they would have drafted Nick Bosa over Kyler Murray right?

Take the franchise QB when you have the chance.
Reply/Quote
I''m a big believer in the best player available strategy. With the number one overall pick it is ideal to get one of the following: an elite QB, an elite LT, or an elite edge rusher. Gotta go with the elite edge rusher here if he is the best player on the board. Picking a QB here could be good, could be bad. I'd take the sure thing at an elite position group. If we can get in the opponents backfield at will next year it will push our defense over the top. Combine that with an elite Free Agent Linebacker and we are looking pretty good (at this point we are so bad at drafting linebackers FA seems like it could be our best option).

The 49ers turned their team around remarkably in only a few years. How did they do it? Drafting ellite players along the defensive and offensive lines. With the top draft pick, I think that is the safest, surest way to improve the team. Look at another team: the Browns. How often have they swung and missed on top draft picks at the QB position. Swing and miss on a QB and you absolutely waste that high draft pick. Again, I'd rather take the sure thing, unless a QB comes along that is without a doubt a generational talent. Dalton can do what Garappolo is doing for the 9ers.

Another thing to think about. If we do draft a QB high, who will block for him? Aaron Rodgers couldn't make this offensive line work.

That being said, if we do win a couple games and mess up our top pick, Left tackle would come into play if we picked around pick 4 or 5. I'd be excited to solidify our pass rush into the future with the top pick though. Get a solid guard or linebacker in round 2. Then next year if we pick high again maybe we can grab an elite offensive lineman.

Another thing to consider: of the elite QBs in the league right now, how many were top 10 picks? Mahomes was pick 9. Aaron Rodgers and Lamar Jackson were end of the 1st round. I forget where Brees was drafted. Brady in the mid rounds. Etc.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2019, 03:41 PM)MentalRage Wrote: I'm sure Arizona fans wish they would have drafted Nick Bosa over Kyler Murray right?

Take the franchise QB when you have the chance.

I mean the question really is would you rather have Josh Rosen, with a new stable coaching staff, and Nick Bosa or Kyler Murray? I'm a big Kyler Murray fan but I'd rather have the first option. Ironically, saying you "Have" to take the QB is what got the Cardinals Josh Rosen in the first place.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2019, 03:53 PM)Au165 Wrote: I mean the question really is would you rather have Josh Rosen, with a new stable coaching staff, and Nick Bosa or Kyler Murray? I'm a big Kyler Murray fan but I'd rather have the first option. Ironically, saying you "Have" to take the QB is what got the Cardinals Josh Rosen in the first place.

Exactly. The teams that pick QB everytime they get a top pick more often than not fail. The most elite QBs in the game right now aren't even top 10 picks. 

The 49ers proved that you have to pick the elite pass rushers and offensive lineman with those high picks if you truly want to turn your team around.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2019, 03:57 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: Exactly. The teams that pick QB everytime they get a top pick more often than not fail. The most elite QBs in the game right now aren't even top 10 picks. 

The 49ers proved that you have to pick the elite pass rushers and offensive lineman with those high picks if you truly want to turn your team around.

If you want want what the 49ers have then you better plan on spending the next four years drafting d-lineman in the first round.
Reply/Quote
I'm leaning towards Young. This team is years away in rebuilding. Take a chance on Tua dropping
Reply/Quote
Keep in mind that if Chase Young is as good as he's supposed to be, then we are probably going to have to make him the highest paid defensive player in the league.

When we have to pay him; he is going to suck up a lot of cap space for a non-QB. He has to be able to take over games on his own to justify that kind of money and that can be hard to do when he gets double-teamed on every play.

The Texans had to trade Jadaveion Clowney and The Raiders had to trade Khalil mack. It's hard to pay non-QB's that kind of money.

Joe Burrow is the better choice. He's as close to a sure thing at QB as it gets. His completion % is crazy good and accuracy is the most important skill for a QB.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 03:16 AM)Weazzel80 Wrote: Keep in mind that if Chase Young is as good as he's supposed to be, then we are probably going to have to make him the highest paid defensive player in the league.

When we have to pay him; he is going to suck up a lot of cap space for a non-QB. He has to be able to take over games on his own to justify that kind of money and that can be hard to do when he gets double-teamed on every play.

The Texans had to trade Jadaveion Clowney and The Raiders had to trade Khalil mack. It's hard to pay non-QB's that kind of money.

Joe Burrow is the better choice. He's as close to a sure thing at QB as it gets. His completion % is crazy good and accuracy is the most important skill for a QB.

Great points.

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 03:16 AM)Weazzel80 Wrote: Keep in mind that if Chase Young is as good as he's supposed to be, then we are probably going to have to make him the highest paid defensive player in the league.

I’d rather pay young 25 million than burrow 50
Million.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 06:20 AM)Jpoore Wrote: I’d rather pay young 25 million than burrow 50
Million.

And I’d rather have a QB on a rookie contract win an MVP like Mahomes did last year, or Jackson probably will this year.

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 09:37 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And I’d rather have a QB on a rookie contract win an MVP like Mahomes did last year, or Jackson probably will this year.

Rookies don't get 50 million contracts anymore do they ?
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 09:51 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Rookies don't get 50 million contracts anymore do they ?

No, the 1st overall pick will make somewhere around $35 million based on what the slotting numbers come in at. The position makes no difference in that figure. 
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2019, 10:23 AM)Au165 Wrote: No, the 1st overall pick will make somewhere around $35 million based on what the slotting numbers come in at. The position makes no difference in that figure. 

That's what I thought. Didn't think the position had any bearing but wasn't sure, thanks.
Reply/Quote
I really would like Young and Burrow on this team. I really think Young is special and would elevate those around him. I am still on the fence on this one.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
What's tempting is trading the #1 for a slew of picks, and still getting Herbert or Burrow if the team trading up is in the top 5.

This team needs so many things. OL, LB, QB. One pick isn't gonna fix it, and we all know Mikey isn't going to sign any good free agents to fill voids
Reply/Quote