Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
Bengals haven't done enough to address O-line problems.
Patience Daniel-san. Free agency doesn't start until 4 today and more guys are going to be released. We've also got the draft still ahead.

I'm happy with the moves so far and think there will be at least one more OL signing.
Reply/Quote
Keep in mind too that Trey Hopkins started the season barely 9 months post ACL. As his recovery continued, his play improved, much like Burrow’s did. His yearlong PFF number reflects that bad first half of the season. His play next season should be much better if we have to stick with him

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 07:29 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I don't think people are over Carman. But relying on the guy to start is just a bad idea. He was not able to beat out Hakeem Adeniji 21 games into his rookie season. He will likely improve in his second season but...what if he doesn't? Are you really going to bank on a player to take a transcendent leap from year 1 to year 2 and have no back up plan if he does not take that leap? That's how you get Cedric Ogbuehi'd.

No one wants to get Cedric Ogbuehi'd again.

I get that,  but there were circumstances that limited his first season, and When he did play towards end of season he looked decent for the amount of reps he was getting.  Im not saying lets bank on him, im just saying lets not overlook him or forget about him.  
Im all for getting a known good OL in FA rather than the draft,  Aside from age i dont understand why everyone covets the 31st pick so much, Id trade that thing in a heartbeat for a known good OL guy.  
Reply/Quote
Goodberry isn't sure.
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 08:40 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Patience Daniel-san. Free agency doesn't start until 4 today and more guys are going to be released. We've also got the draft still ahead.

I'm happy with the moves so far and think there will be at least one more OL signing.

True. But wow, if we signed Moses to 3 years $15 million...I'd feel MUCH better about our line.

We need a RT and LG still.

Cappa is a huge upgrade.

Karras could be. Depends on which version of him we get.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 09:17 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: True. But wow, if we signed Moses to 3 years $15 million...I'd feel MUCH better about our line.

Cappa is a huge upgrade.

They could pick up Tretter and slide Karras over to LG.  That wouldn't be a bad interior trio, at all.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 09:21 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They could pick up Tretter and slide Karras over to LG.  That wouldn't be a bad interior trio, at all.

That would be an above average possibly top 7 interior trio. You’d hope Williams takes another step with a full season under his belt. Then really you’re only glaring weakness is RT which you could toy around with Smith, Draft Pick, another FA or someone else.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 09:17 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: True. But wow, if we signed Moses to 3 years $15 million...I'd feel MUCH better about our line.

Cappa is a huge upgrade.

I agree on what the needs are and also like the two guys they signed, but I think it's safe to assume that the Bengals were aware of Moses's asking price before he agreed to that contract. They must think there is a better way to address the position either through one of the available released guys or as some competition with a draft pick(not saying that's what I want). 

Personally, I see one more OL starter being signed and an open competition with a draft pick for the other spot. 
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 09:21 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They could pick up Tretter and slide Karras over to LG.  That wouldn't be a bad interior trio, at all.

If I had a choice between signing Tretter and signing Collins, I'd go with your scenario above and add a tackle in the draft. Correct me if you think I'm wrong, but I think solidifying the interior plays better to Burrow's strength of avoiding the outside rushers. 
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 01:58 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I bet they are also looking at Tretter. if he's a fit, then Karras moves to LG.
Hopkins would likely be released in that scenario. As Karras would be Back up C, and Carman back up LG.

Then only thing is find a 1-2 year placeholding vet and draft/develop a RT.

I think Tretter would be a fit and an upgrade over Hopkins.  I think he'll be signed by a team for about $8M season. I'd guess 3yrs/$24M. If the Bengals were to release Hopkins that saves almost $6M; effectively Tretter would cost $2M more than what they are already paying to upgrade center.

I hope they are considering it.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 09:40 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: If I had a choice between signing Tretter and signing Collins, I'd go with your scenario above and add a tackle in the draft. Correct me if you think I'm wrong, but I think solidifying the interior plays better to Burrow's strength of avoiding the outside rushers. 

I agree.  I've always felt like it made the most sense to build a line from the inside first and work outward.  I get that in the modern game, so much emphasis is on edge rushers and protectors, but it seemed to me that right up the middle is where most teams penetrated to get after Burrow this season.  Not to mention putting a little backbone in the rushing attack would go miles toward keeping Burrow healthy and sharp.

RT is a serious need still, but like you said, there are many avenues toward finding the right fit at that position.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 04:21 AM)Sanforbd Wrote: How often do we even have commitments by day two? We’ve clearly shown that the long neglected issue, which we’ve tried solving via grooming or bargain shopping, is finally a priority. Let’s give them some space to work. I’m willing to have faith that at a minimum we still have a Reif level tackle incoming, that along with our two signee's and our current roster of ascending (hopefully ) talent is enough to satisfy me. We could do more, but we could do much less. I’ll trust the process.

We're usually waiting for that second wave of signings around Day 7. Their free agency approach has been completely different the last three years compared to the last three decades. I was taking a wait and see approach, but they have convinced me with their free agency approach three years in a row. It shows me the reins have changed hands.  

It feels as if they are finally taking full advantage of this opportunity to improve the roster.  Combined with their recent drafts, this approach got them to the Super Bowl after two seasons. The scouting of the pro players to bring in as free agents has been excellent, also. And I rarely use the word "excellent." It's reserved for truly excellent work.

Hell, I'll probably even my end self-imposed boycott of team merchandise until I see a change. Because, finally, I've seen it.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 07:26 AM)Cosmokramer Wrote: Man, it’s amazing how half you guys are already over Carman.  Dude was a rookie who was coming off back surgery.  He now has a full healthy off season and a little experience.

Don’t sit in this forum and think you know more than the guys getting paid to upgrade this team.

Carman is a developmental piece. We aren't telling the team to release him, we are telling them that he shouldn't be starting him next year.

Going into the season with Carman starting on the OL would not be good.  
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 07:26 AM)Cosmokramer Wrote: Man, it’s amazing how half you guys are already over Carman.  Dude was a rookie who was coming off back surgery.  He now has a full healthy off season and a little experience.

Don’t sit in this forum and think you know more than the guys getting paid to upgrade this team.

[Image: Dave-Gettleman.jpg?ve=1&tl=1]

Are you sure about that?

I don't think fans are over Carman.  But, I do think they want to see a real competition for the starting spot for the sake of Burrow's knees.
Reply/Quote
I really hope they don't half ass rebuilding the OL this year like they did last year.

They need to realistically obtain two more starters via free agency. If they don't do that, I would call it a disappointment...especially since they have the money/resources.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
As of right now, the only position they NEED to address is RT.
Karras can play all IOL positions, and Hopkins was far better in the second half of the season than he was in the first half, so he can be a stopgap at C.
As much as I'd like another OG added so that Karras can cover C, I'd be ok with Karras playing LG this season with Hopkins at C while Carman develops another year.

I have a gut feeling the Bengals (and Pollack specifically) are eyeing Daniel Faalele in the draft, and if they take him they'll start him at RT Day 1.
There's naturally concern with an OT so big that he isn't as mobile as some other options, but that might be less of a concern if they Bengals shift their run game to more of a downhill or inside zone run game.
The positives of Faalele are that he has incredible length and size, so it's hard to get around him and (nearly) impossible to move him.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
No shit, it's been like 2 days....
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 08:22 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I know Spain fell off late but I want to bring Spain back and if possible get Reiff back as a swing tackle. If we could get one more good lineman that would be great.

I would bring Spain back at the same price as last year.  But, if Reiff is a swing tackle, which would be good/great depth, I'm not sure I want to pay him upwards of $7M/season. It would depend upon what other moves they are able to make during free agency.  But, as of right now, they need a RT so Reiff might be brought back to start. Still better than Bobbie Hart or Prince (who I'm biased against since his time at Ohio State. When they signed him it was like someone kicked me in the nuts.)
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 09:03 AM)pally Wrote: Keep in mind too that Trey Hopkins started the season barely 9 months post ACL.  As his recovery continued, his play improved, much like Burrow’s did.  His yearlong PFF number reflects that bad first half of the season.  His plat next season should be much better if we have to stick with him

Yeah, that's impressive.  Especially for an Olineman.  You need to rehab the knee just to get back into the gym. To do that and play at the highest level of football is tough to do.  Respect.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 11:40 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I know it is still very early and lots of things can happen but if the Bengals dont make any more moves to improve the O-line other than sign Cappa and Karras the O-line will have issues again next season. While Karras is good as a guard he is not as good at center. His previous two years at center he played at about the same level as Hopkins so having Karras at center doesnt upgrade what we already have with Hopkins. Cappa is a big upgrade from Adeniji no doubt but if Cappa is the only upgrade on the O-line and every other position plays at the same level, Burrow is going to take a beating again. The Bengals need to do more to fix the O-line.

The Bengals have lots of financial room to bring in more line talent and why wouldn’t they? These two guys add to competitive contests to get a better line, at least two positions will guaranteed to be improved. C & RT are still question marks in my mind. No doubt the bengals will be spending to address it.
Today the Bengals are positioned much better on the line than they were on February 13, 2022.
Reply/Quote