Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals hire Steve Jackson as new CB's coach
Bengals announce that in addition to new LB coach Al Golden, they have also hired Steve Jackson to replace Daronte Jones. 
https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-hire-two-assistant-coaches

'Jackson, 50, joins the Bengals after spending the last two seasons (2018-19) as assistant defensive backs coach with the N.Y. Jets. Prior to his time with the Jets, he coached defensive backs with the Tennessee Titans (2016-17), Detroit Lions ('13), Washington Redskins ('04-11) and Buffalo Bills ('01-03). Prior to his coaching career, Jackson played nine seasons (1991-99) as a defensive back for the Houston Oilers/Tennessee Titans, and helped the team to a berth in Super Bowl XXXIV.'
Reply/Quote
I don’t know anything about him but allow me to be the first to complain about this lazy hire. He was probably in Zacs wedding party or something
Reply/Quote
Titans db's seem to be pretty good. That's promising.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I like this hire,
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 01:48 PM)jj22 Wrote: Titans db's seem to be pretty good. That's promising.

Was only there until '17 though. He spent the last two years being the safeties coach for the Jets. Don't know how promising that is.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 01:48 PM)jj22 Wrote: Titans db's seem to be pretty good. That's promising.

Kerry Coombs will be announced as the new OSU DB coach and asst. DC tomorrow..Wonder why this guy didn't hang around to get that job? That right there may be very glaring..
Reply/Quote
Make our CBs play wide receiver for a week in camp so they can learn how to catch a ball.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote

cept he was coaching the JETS dbs
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 01:51 PM)higgy100 Wrote: Kerry Coombs will be announced as the new OSU DB coach and asst. DC tomorrow..Wonder why this guy didn't hang around to get that job? That right there may be very glaring..

Going back to college has a lot of bonuses for Kerry, one of them being he can watch his son coach on Sundays now as the Special teams Coordinator for the Lions since OSU plays on Saturday. 
Reply/Quote
Pick is confusing its from when he was hired from the titans to the JETS he was with the jets the last 2 years (for those excited about the titans shirt in the picture)
Reply/Quote
At least he doesn't seem to have a prior Taylor connection. That's gotta be a bonus.

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 01:58 PM)Au165 Wrote: Going back to college has a lot of bonuses for Kerry, one of them being he can watch his son coach on Sundays now as the Special teams Coordinator for the Lions since OSU plays on Saturday. 

Not as big as the bonus he'll get from his public pension plan which takes your highest 5 years of salaries....He's going to get a huge contract from OSU.

He taught public school for a long time. So FAS is what matters most. He got paid $500,000 or so under Urban. Now if the salary under Day is $1,000,000, and he works for another 5 years, FAS would jump by $500,000. And if he gets to live 10 years after retirement, this would be like a signing bonus of 4 millions in my estimation. 
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 01:57 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: cept he was coaching the JETS dbs

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AdamJa00.htm

Granted it was year 1 to year 2 (and then 3), but he's gotten this guy to play better each year, on a mediocre to poor team.

The Jets have very good safeties and if you remember against them in our game, we couldn't really complete anything deep or run the ball too well.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 01:51 PM)hollodero Wrote: Was only there until '17 though. He spent the last two years being the safeties coach for the Jets. Don't know how promising that is.

Jamal Adams was on the ALL pro list.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 02:15 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AdamJa00.htm

Granted it was year 1 to year 2 (and then 3), but he's gotten this guy to play better each year, on a mediocre to poor team.

The Jets have very good safeties and if you remember against them in our game, we couldn't really complete anything deep or run the ball too well.

wasnt trying to discredit him just saying  its a confusing pic lol   But he could be a good hire.. we have talent in that department so just gotta see how it all translates.
Reply/Quote
This guy has lots of experience and has coached up players. I like this hire.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 01:57 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: cept he was coaching the JETS dbs

Doesn't change the fact that the Titans DBs were playing well though.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Over the past decade:

2019 Jets: 17th in pass yards allowed - tied for 12th in opponent's passer rating (not bad)
2018 Jets: 24th in pass yards allowed - 15th in opponent's passer rating
2017 Titans: 21st in pass yards allowed - 19th in opponent's passer rating
2016 Titans: 30th in pass yards allowed - 15th in opponent's passer rating
2013 Lions: 23rd in pass yards allowed - 19th in opponent's passer rating
2011 Redskins: 12th in pass yards allowed - 24th in opponent's passer rating
2010 Redskins: 31st in pass yards allowed - 24th in opponent's passer rating

Average ranks: 23rd in pass yards allowed - 18th in opponent's passer rating

Only 1 playoff team in this bunch, which was the 9-7 Titans in 2017.

This guy will fit right in with the rest of the mediocre resumes on this staff.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I don't know anything about this guy but his resume is about as boring and average as possible.

In other words, Lac struck again.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
What I like about both the LB and CB hires is that they're both experienced guys which were desperately needed. Whether they'll be good or not we can't answer that now. Talent needs to be added to both positions. At the same time, the last CBs coach didn't do much of anything. A change was needed and I'm glad it was made.

Steve Jackson had 13 interceptions throughout his playing career. Not the most impressive amount throughout a 9-year career but he knows something about going to get the ball. He helped coached great safeties in New York and the Titans have always been solid at that position for as long as I can remember.

It says he coached DBs in Washington from 04-11, which means... he also coached the great Sean Taylor until his untimely passing.

A guy that coached Jamal Adams and Sean Taylor (albeit, elite prospects and would be great anywhere) getting to pass some of that knowledge onto WJ3, Darius Phillips, and even crossing paths with Jessie Bates in a DBs meeting.

Resume wise, I'd say his is one of the better ones on the staff.
Reply/Quote