Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals hire Steve Jackson as new CB's coach
(01-20-2020, 06:21 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Maybe this is Mike Brown trying to right that wrong and he just doesn't understand yet that he got the wrong SJax. Mellow

That would be some serious senility right there...
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 05:19 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: The bold is EXACTLY what I have been preaching.

Kevin Byard, LaRon Landry as well.

Michael Griffin put up great numbers in Tennessee too.

Yeah, because the safeties on these teams are the sole cause for poor pass yardage, right?

Stop it; why is everyone hoping for the sexy pick? Like what was written above, we have no clue how these moves will impact our teams, so denouncing them at this point, is simply talking out of your ass, period.

Last year, everyone was up in arms because, "we got a bunch of coaches that are terrible and have no experience." We just hired a former 2 time (for 7 years or was it more?) college HEAD Coach and someone who has been coaching in the NFL since 2001.

Just ride it out and see how things go.
I think one aspect that everyone is overlooking is when the team eventually has success with Burrow, the coaches that everyone expects us to hire will eventually come as well. That bridge has to be built first. It took Marvin a decade to do that. It takes more than a #1 pick to make a team an attractive destination and as of now, we're a 2-14 team with a head coach that no one is really sold on and the defense has been at the bottom for 3 consecutive years. I don't expect the top hires at certain positions. With that said, I think we came out slightly better this time around with Golden and now Jackson. As everyone keeps preaching; If they don't change their FA philosophy, will coaching really matter that much? 
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 03:28 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Over the past decade:

2019 Jets: 17th in pass yards allowed - tied for 12th in opponent's passer rating (not bad)
2018 Jets: 24th in pass yards allowed - 15th in opponent's passer rating
2017 Titans: 21st in pass yards allowed - 19th in opponent's passer rating
2016 Titans: 30th in pass yards allowed - 15th in opponent's passer rating
2013 Lions: 23rd in pass yards allowed - 19th in opponent's passer rating
2011 Redskins: 12th in pass yards allowed - 24th in opponent's passer rating
2010 Redskins: 31st in pass yards allowed - 24th in opponent's passer rating

Average ranks: 23rd in pass yards allowed - 18th in opponent's passer rating

Only 1 playoff team in this bunch, which was the 9-7 Titans in 2017.

This guy will fit right in with the rest of the mediocre resumes on this staff.

If this guy can help guys like Jesse Bates and Darius Phillips take the next step in developing their game, I think that we'll be in much better shape.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 06:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If this guy can help guys like Jesse Bates and Darius Phillips take the next step in developing their game, I think that we'll be in much better shape.

I guess player development matters most with position coaches, but I'd feel better if he were a part of some success over the last decade, or even in his 20 year coaching career.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Can't wait to see what he does with Jesse Bates.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 06:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If this guy can help guys like Jesse Bates and Darius Phillips take the next step in developing their game, I think that we'll be in much better shape.

(01-21-2020, 01:17 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I guess player development matters most with position coaches, but I'd feel better if he were a part of some success over the last decade, or even in his 20 year coaching career.

Position coaches do help with player development, but they also play other key roles. DB coaches tend to help the DC with the passing game. The non-inspiring rankings make me hope that Livingston is helping on that end.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 03:28 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Over the past decade:

2019 Jets: 17th in pass yards allowed - tied for 12th in opponent's passer rating (not bad)
2018 Jets: 24th in pass yards allowed - 15th in opponent's passer rating
2017 Titans: 21st in pass yards allowed - 19th in opponent's passer rating
2016 Titans: 30th in pass yards allowed - 15th in opponent's passer rating
2013 Lions: 23rd in pass yards allowed - 19th in opponent's passer rating
2011 Redskins: 12th in pass yards allowed - 24th in opponent's passer rating
2010 Redskins: 31st in pass yards allowed - 24th in opponent's passer rating

Average ranks: 23rd in pass yards allowed - 18th in opponent's passer rating

Only 1 playoff team in this bunch, which was the 9-7 Titans in 2017.

This guy will fit right in with the rest of the mediocre resumes on this staff.

Good research, S&B, and although his resume hardly jumps off the page, he did face some pretty heady offenses twice a year in those positions and had a fairly steady picture of improvement.  

Jets:  Brady and Pats, 2X a year
Titans:  Luck-led Colts, 2X a year
Lions:  Rogers and Stafford, 2X a year
Redskins:  Romo and Eli, 2x a year

He also seemed to have a pretty significant improvement the second year with a team.  I like having an Ex-NFL player at the position as well.  
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 08:53 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Good research, S&B, and although his resume hardly jumps off the page, he did face some pretty heady offenses twice a year in those positions and had a fairly steady picture of improvement.  

He also seemed to have a pretty significant improvement the second year with a team.  I like having an Ex-NFL player at the position as well.  

Good points, feel the same. Have to take into account the Offenses he was facing in those Divisions.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 08:53 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Good research, S&B, and although his resume hardly jumps off the page, he did face some pretty heady offenses twice a year in those positions and had a fairly steady picture of improvement.  

Yeah but you're going to have a good QB or two in any division. 2-4 games a year against guys like Eli and Romo shouldn't wreck your rankings. We'll see. Obviously I hope the guy is a legend as a Bengal.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 09:48 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yeah but you're going to have a good QB or two in any division. 2-4 games a year against guys like Eli and Romo shouldn't wreck your rankings. We'll see. Obviously I hope the guy is a legend as a Bengal.

Well, those offenses were some of the best at that time.  And don't forget he didn't have any outstanding defensive lines on those teams to minimize the time his DBs had to cover.  I am not going to build a statue of the guy, but I am optimistic.  Maybe it is just Burrow rubbing off on me.  
Reply/Quote
lol this coaching staff is going to be looking for new jobs next year.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2020, 11:26 AM)Okeana Wrote: lol this coaching staff is going to be looking for new jobs next year.

Possible, they will have to improve major. Simmons should still be around and might even be the HC if they don't improve.
Reply/Quote