Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals hosting DE- Kerry Wynn and S- Curtis Riley
(03-22-2019, 10:30 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Our safeties are not the problem wrt ints (hell Williams had a bunch). It’s our CB’s. 0 ints last year from any of them. That’s horrendous.

You can not judge CBs based on ints.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2019, 09:01 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: I certainly think identifying good players is more nuanced than just going off the PFF grade. One example- I think it was you the other day who brought up John Miller's pass blocking grades being below Redmond's last year as a reason why he wasn't a good signing. I'd imagine his grades are skewed due to blocking for Josh Allen. 

I listened to the Bengals Booth Podcast yesterday and Dave Lapham brought up what I think is a good point. Both Pittsburgh and Baltimore have lost some very good players in free agency/trades. This offseason, we haven't gone backwards at any positions (ie- losing a Whitworth, Marvin Jones, etc). This free agency, we've either improved the position (Miller, CB depth) or stayed the same (Hart, TE). Almost by default, we should see an improvement to the team. 

So by keeping a 6-10 team the same...we get better because Pittsburgh and Baltimore got worse? Great master plan Bengals! Maybe this will lead to a Super Bowl if all the good teams get worse!

You know, the Browns are in our division too and they traded for OBJ and Vernon.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2019, 11:59 AM)NKURyan Wrote: Is he better than Clayton Fedjelem? And he has experience with both our DC and as a starter? Since the answer to both questions as "yes", then it's a positive signing.

I love how the guy who constantly trashes the Bengals draft record has a response that's basically "they can just draft a guy who is way better". Would you just pick a side already? You constantly want to have it both ways just for the sake of being unhappy with everything.

No way is Riley better than Fej.

Fej is basically a starter quality safety.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2019, 12:06 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: You know, the Browns are in our division too and they traded for OBJ and Vernon.

They also lost a Pro Bowl LB and are replacing one of the best OGs in the league with a guy who played 14 snaps as a rookie last year.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2019, 12:09 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: No way is Riley better than Fej.

Fej is basically a starter quality safety.

Small sample size can make anyone look better than they are, but I'll take experience off the bench any day. Even if Clayton proves himself and does one day ascend to a starter's role, you will at the very least need someone to replace him on special teams where he makes the vast majority of his impact.
Reply/Quote
Riley to the Raiders. Bullet dodged, IMO
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2019, 12:27 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Small sample size can make anyone look better than they are, but I'll take experience off the bench any day. Even if Clayton proves himself and does one day ascend to a starter's role, you will at the very least need someone to replace him on special teams where he makes the vast majority of his impact.

Fej is way better than Riley...AND Riley signed with the Raiders.

Are you disappointed?
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2019, 12:34 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Fej is way better than Riley...AND Riley signed with the Raiders.

Are you disappointed?

Since the Bengals need depth, and he would have provided depth, yeah, sure. Could've opened up the draft a bit as well instead of going in and saying "we have to grab a safety at some point". Those all seem like positives to me.

I guess you can throw a party, though.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2019, 12:06 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So by keeping a 6-10 team the same...we get better because Pittsburgh and Baltimore got worse? Great master plan Bengals! Maybe this will lead to a Super Bowl if all the good teams get worse!

You know, the Browns are in our division too and they traded for OBJ and Vernon.

Why do you keep taking such polar views on everything and ignore any nuance? 

Here are some facts and maybe some positives. Hurry up, get on your sunglasses.

- We were 6-10 last year with a lot of injuries
- We get some of those injured players back. Some will play at a high level.
- In FA, we improved our team at RG and at CB
- We didn't get worse at RT or MLB
- We still have holes to fill
- We still have our draft and any remaining FA moves
- 2 teams in our division that were ahead of us got worse by trading players/letting FA's go giving us a chance to jump them

I expect you to pick one thing in this post to twist into something different and ignore the rest.  
Reply/Quote
im late on this thread but wynn seems to be a good rotational guy.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I'm more in favor of Wynn than Riley.
Reply/Quote
With Wynn I feel like your getting a player similar to Jonathan Fanene where he can step in as a rotational guy have some success but never be that full time starter. having guys like that is always a plus

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2019, 12:06 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So by keeping a 6-10 team the same...we get better because Pittsburgh and Baltimore got worse? Great master plan Bengals! Maybe this will lead to a Super Bowl if all the good teams get worse!

Actually, there is some logic for why it could mean the Bengals get "better."
Last year, the Bengals beat the Ravens once and lost to them only by 3 pts.
They lost to the Steelers twice but the losses were only by a combined 10 pts.
If the Bengals remain the same and both the Ravens and Steelers are worse, it could result in up to 3 more wins compared to last season.

Let's also factor in the Bengals have the following other opponents for 2019:
JAX
SF
MIA
NYJ
BUF
NE
ARI
LAR
SEA
OAK

Let's say, optimistically, the Bengals win 4 games in the division because both the Ravens and Steelers have gotten worse and just barely beat the Bengals in each game last year.
The Bengals also have a good chance to beat JAX, SF, MIA, NYJ, BUF, ARI, OAK

Therefore, if considering success to be win-loss record, I would say there's a high chance of having a better record in 2019 compared to 2018.
In terms of winning in the playoffs though, probably not an improvement.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2019, 06:04 PM)jj22 Wrote: Fine McC

Let's load up on players from that bad Giants D. You're okay with it and I don't slam you for it.

I guess others can't say anything about it or prefer to get players from better defenses. Must be nice to have an opinion.

Load up is defined as signing 1 player?

you gotta have depth too....  This is a time to get some depth
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2019, 12:27 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Small sample size can make anyone look better than they are, but I'll take experience off the bench any day. Even if Clayton proves himself and does one day ascend to a starter's role, you will at the very least need someone to replace him on special teams where he makes the vast majority of his impact.

Fej has been fine coming off the bench for us and has been really good on Special teams.  no need to replace him for someone else.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2019, 01:14 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: It's just like last year where the Bengals basically painted themselves into a corner with the draft. We made no attempt at improving our weakness so you can basically predict our first pick. 

WTF are you talking about.  Last year we traded for a starting LT and signed the leagues leading tackler before the draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2019, 06:04 PM)jj22 Wrote: Fine McC

Let's load up on players from that bad Giants D. You're okay with it and I don't slam you for it.

I guess others can't say anything about it or prefer to get players from better defenses. Must be nice to have an opinion.

Tampa Bay had the 31st ranked defense in the league last year.  Sure hope we don't try to acquire that scrub Jason Pierre Paul with his 13 sacks.
Reply/Quote
You guys are so late. I've long moved on.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2019, 09:43 AM)Benton Wrote: Holy crap, frostee is still playing? Do they let him take his walker to the line?

He's 35 and started all 15 games he played in for the Raiders last year. 

0 sacks. Currently a free agent if we want him.  Mellow
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2019, 01:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Actually, there is some logic for why it could mean the Bengals get "better."
Last year, the Bengals beat the Ravens once and lost to them only by 3 pts.
They lost to the Steelers twice but the losses were only by a combined 10 pts.
If the Bengals remain the same and both the Ravens and Steelers are worse, it could result in up to 3 more wins compared to last season.

Let's also factor in the Bengals have the following other opponents for 2019:
JAX
SF
MIA
NYJ
BUF
NE
ARI
LAR
SEA
OAK

Let's say, optimistically, the Bengals win 4 games in the division because both the Ravens and Steelers have gotten worse and just barely beat the Bengals in each game last year.
The Bengals also have a good chance to beat JAX, SF, MIA, NYJ, BUF, ARI, OAK

Therefore, if considering success to be win-loss record, I would say there's a high chance of having a better record in 2019 compared to 2018.
In terms of winning in the playoffs though, probably not an improvement.

So our strategy is: Trying to keep the roster as similar to last year as we can. Wait for the Steelers to get worse. Then play a last place schedule to improve. But, have no chance at beating a good team in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote