Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should The Players Be Asked About The Next HC?
(12-21-2017, 11:52 PM)GodFather Wrote: Stick to asking them if they want meatloaf or ham for lunch...*

Probably unheard of in the NFL to query players re. prospective coaches. However, I think asking the team captains as a group might not be too far fetched per the OP.

*and yes Mike Brown will charge them regardless what their choice is, nothing is for free in the Brown Zone!
Reply/Quote
I don't know if they should get an input over who should be the next headcoach but asking guys like Lafell about HC Candidates Matt Patricia and Josh McDaniels would be smart.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 01:50 PM)Goalpost Wrote: No.  We need a shake up.  It doesn’t have to be comfortable.  Just a chance where things are different.
A player should welcome a chance of total newness.  If the team record was good, maybe I would be a bit more open to this.  But the record stinks.  So no.  The players don’t get that choice.

I'm not sure I can get behind the narrative that the players are the ones who want to avoid shaking things up and our octogenarian owner/GM is the one pushing for sweeping changes.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 12:02 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The NBA is different than the NFL...but yeah your super stars like Lebron get consulted. It's generally only the biggest stars though.

Of course, their consultation is unofficial.

LeBron James Got His Coach Fired, And He Was Right To Do It
https://www.gq.com/story/lebron-james-david-blatt-cleveland-cavaliers-part-ways

I did not know that thanks for the info!
Reply/Quote
No way in hell !
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2017, 11:54 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Not only motivation, but the players need to believe that a coach knows what he's doing.

If a player comes to work believing in the plan and believing in the guy calling the shots, then they prepare better, whether it's direct motivation or not.  

Motivation or not, if a player leaves practice inspired and comes to a game believing in a coach and inspired by him, he plays a lot better.

It also brings the players together better as a team if they're all believing in the coach and just wanting to play hard.

I think overlooking all of that is one area that Mike Brown has been wrong in.  Mike looks at this as the cheapest way to put a team on the field and play football, but he doesn't look at the finer points and realize the entire atmosphere and football life.

There's a reason some coaches consistently have players that are disciplined, do their jobs, and play hard.

You do realize that the typical NFL player has a lot on his plate just being an NFL player? What makes you think an average NFL player is going to have any idea on who might be a good head coach? If you polled any random player about some of the current "hot" coaching prospects and how they would like them, they would probably give you back a nice, long, blank stare. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 08:36 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You do realize that the typical NFL player has a lot on his plate just being an NFL player? What makes you think an average NFL player is going to have any idea on who might be a good head coach? If you polled any random player about some of the current "hot" coaching prospects and how they would like them, they would probably give you back a nice, long, blank stare. 

I think they'd know a lot better than anyone on here, and most people on here think they know who would be a good head coach or have their opinions about who they want and why, so what makes you think that some random fan has a valid opinion on coaches but the players don't?

I'm not saying that the organization would or should value the opinions of people on here, but I'm just sayin that people have in-depth opinions about who they'd want and why, and you don't think a player would AT LEAST have an opinion as in-depth or as valuable as people on here?  Also, they know what they want and they know the culture of the team better than any fan.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 10:50 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm now wondering how you found out that most NFL players "want foots in asses."

Perhaps he was momentarily confused and mistakenly referenced a fetish website?

I don't think you give the team a list of HC candidates and ask them to vote.  However, if you're  more forward-thinking owner, you might want to get a few key players' thoughts on the direction of the organization and then consider those thoughts when interviewing candidates.

“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 10:38 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Perhaps he was momentarily confused and mistakenly referenced a fetish website?

I don't think you give the team a list of HC candidates and ask them to vote.  However, if you're  more forward-thinking owner, you might want to get a few key players' thoughts on the direction of the organization and then consider those thoughts when interviewing candidates.

That's exactly what I meant.

Take players that you want to want to be here for a while, like AJ and Geno (and a few others), and you ask them if they have any preference or at least a preference in style. They'll also know what kind of coach the other players need to succeed and what they want to motivate them.

Especially since we have no GM with any kind of feel on what the team wants/needs, we need to take the players into account.  This is already pretty much a hell hole of a franchise, so why not at least try to please the players a little bit?
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 09:24 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I think they'd know a lot better than anyone on here, and most people on here think they know who would be a good head coach or have their opinions about who they want and why, so what makes you think that some random fan has a valid opinion on coaches but the players don't?

I'm not saying that the organization would or should value the opinions of people on here, but I'm just sayin that people have in-depth opinions about who they'd want and why, and you don't think a player would AT LEAST have an opinion as in-depth or as valuable as people on here?  Also, they know what they want and they know the culture of the team better than any fan.

Because they watch more NFL games and college games than NFL players do. Because they spend more time researching and understanding most prospective coaches careers. Where they've been and how successful they were or weren't. 

NFL players only care about being an NFL player. They don't want the added responsibility of having to help choose a new coach.

Are there certain guys they'd like to play for? Sure. But the FO is there to go in-depth and find out who the best qualified potential coach is. Not the players.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
You hire the best man for the job, and any players who don't adapt can GTFO. That goes for anyone on the team from Green and Dalton on down to the long snapper. The players aren't running the show.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 11:33 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Because they watch more NFL games and college games than NFL players do. Because they spend more time researching and understanding most prospective coaches careers. Where they've been and how successful they were or weren't. 

NFL players only care about being an NFL player. They don't want the added responsibility of having to help choose a new coach.

Are there certain guys they'd like to play for? Sure. But the FO is there to go in-depth and find out who the best qualified potential coach is. Not the players.

You seriously think our front office is going to go into a lot of in-depth research to find the right guy?
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2017, 12:22 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: You seriously think our front office is going to go into a lot of in-depth research to find the right guy?

Probably not. But that's not at issue. You were asking if players should be asked about who the next coach is. 

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2017, 12:53 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Probably not. But that's not at issue. You were asking if players should be asked about who the next coach is. 

Yes because the players know coaches' styles and they know what they want out of a coach.

They can also look at a coach and be inspired at how motivational he is or just the way he does things.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 12:25 PM)Benton Wrote: Just my opinion, but...

You go two ways with a coach. Either you have a championship caliber team who doesn't have the right shepherd to lead them, or you have some — but not all — pieces to a puzzle, and you need a coach who can find the parts necessary to make it work.

Neither really has input from the players, but I'd think the first option (trying to keep the roster as is and finding a coach who fits those skills) is close to taking the team's temperature. If you've got a gunslinger type offense like the Steelers or Packers used to have, you don't want a conservative coach like Marvin, Fischer, or Mularkey. Flip side, if you've got a game manager quarterback and receivers with more of a fullback running game, you don't want a head coach with an unorthodox approach like Hue.

And that's where I think Brown will go. It's what kept Marvin in a job for so long. Brown believes we've got the right roster, so I imagine he will be looking for a coach that fits it, as opposed to a coach who will come in and try to change things around a lot.

Now, I'm sad again. You make too much sense. Sad
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 04:23 AM)TheUberHuber Wrote: Do you have evidence of This? I would love to see it. Pro players have a say in who their coach is???

But, NBA is not the nfl....that was a strawman

There is pretty clear evidence of NBA superstars giving input on that front. I've heard the GM of the Rockets discuss this along with others.

Also, not a straw man argument, he was saying that it doesn't happen in other industries. 
Reply/Quote