Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should The Players Be Asked About The Next HC?
(12-22-2017, 03:38 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: You don't think NBA superstars like LeBron or Harden have a say in choosing a coach or going after a certain free agents?!

Whether you agree with it is a different argument but it's quite obvious that in other sports the elite players have input. I don't see why NFL players shouldn't.

Do you have evidence of This? I would love to see it. Pro players have a say in who their coach is???

But, NBA is not the nfl....that was a strawman
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
No.

The new coach will have his own system and we will see players, many players leave Cincinnati who don't fit that system.

At least that's how it should work...in Cincinnati though? LOL.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 03:54 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Disagree.

Marvin's a player's coach, but he's also an idiot.

NFL players want someone who's going to come in, have direction, and demand excellence because who wants to give 100% if the same isn't being demanded out of the man next to you?         

They're going to want someone they can talk to, but, overall, they want foots in asses.

I'm now wondering how you found out that most NFL players "want foots in asses."
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2017, 11:26 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: To everyone that says no, you don’t think having a coach the players did or didn’t believe in would affect their play?

A big problem with Marvin is he’s not a motivator, which we all complain about, so none of you want someone that can motivate the players and that they’ll follow?

Do you also want them to start giving input on drafting? 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 01:55 AM)Utts Wrote: No way. You don’t let the inmates run the prison.

Beat me to it......we seem to have already had this a time or three under Merv's watch.  Pass.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-21-2017, 10:33 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I know you can't give the players all the power, but do you think the players should at least be asked about a coach that the franchise wants to hire or give their opinions on who to bring in?

If they bring in a guy that the players don't even respect or value, will they even play as hard or be as motivated?

If they think a guy's a horrible coach, will they buy into his schemes and philosophies?

Some people might think "they're pros, they play hard regardless," but there's a difference between playing hard because you have to and playing hard because you're motivated and don't want to let the coach or your teammates down.

Some of you might be thinking "the next head coach can't be worse than Marvin and has to be a better motivator," but I don't want "just better," because I want a guy that's going to come in and lead the team to the next level.

Should the players' opinions be considered?

I also realize that a coach the players want might not come here, but getting someone that the players want would have them excited going into the offseason and hopefully the entire regular season.

Anybody have any thoughts about this?

No you don't get to pick your boss.
Reply/Quote
Absolutely not. The length of tenure and performance level would have to be off the charts to earn that type of input.

I have no problem with listening to their opinions, but at the end of the day, this is not a democracy.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 11:14 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Do you also want them to start giving input on drafting? 

Sounds like a great way to expand the small Scouting Dept.  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 04:23 AM)TheUberHuber Wrote: Do you have evidence of This? I would love to see it. Pro players have a say in who their coach is???

But, NBA is not the nfl....that was a strawman

The NBA is different than the NFL...but yeah your super stars like Lebron get consulted. It's generally only the biggest stars though.

Of course, their consultation is unofficial.

LeBron James Got His Coach Fired, And He Was Right To Do It
https://www.gq.com/story/lebron-james-david-blatt-cleveland-cavaliers-part-ways
Reply/Quote
The only reason you ask your players their opinion on who the head coach is, is if you're asking if they're okay with Merv coming back or if one of the current coordiantors or assistants becomes the next head coach. And we should not be considering any of those scenarios.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 12:02 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Sounds like a great way to expand the small Scouting Dept.  Ninja

:andy:

For their efforts, a brand new, gently used DVR will be given so they can scout.  Ninja
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
Just my opinion, but...

You go two ways with a coach. Either you have a championship caliber team who doesn't have the right shepherd to lead them, or you have some — but not all — pieces to a puzzle, and you need a coach who can find the parts necessary to make it work.

Neither really has input from the players, but I'd think the first option (trying to keep the roster as is and finding a coach who fits those skills) is close to taking the team's temperature. If you've got a gunslinger type offense like the Steelers or Packers used to have, you don't want a conservative coach like Marvin, Fischer, or Mularkey. Flip side, if you've got a game manager quarterback and receivers with more of a fullback running game, you don't want a head coach with an unorthodox approach like Hue.

And that's where I think Brown will go. It's what kept Marvin in a job for so long. Brown believes we've got the right roster, so I imagine he will be looking for a coach that fits it, as opposed to a coach who will come in and try to change things around a lot.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 12:02 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Sounds like a great way to expand the small Scouting Dept.  Ninja

lol Draft my friend...  he was cool
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 12:15 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: :andy:

For their efforts, a brand new, gently used DVR will be given so they can scout.  Ninja

(12-22-2017, 12:29 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: lol Draft my friend...  he was cool

lmao!!
Reply/Quote
Normally I'd say to not let the inmates run the asylum, but if Mike Brown is running the asylum MAYBE getting some inmate feedback might help.
Reply/Quote
No. We need a shake up. It doesn’t have to be comfortable. Just a chance where things are different.
A player should welcome a chance of total newness. If the team record was good, maybe I would be a bit more open to this. But the record stinks. So no. The players don’t get that choice.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2017, 11:14 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: What is this, a PTA meeting? Absolutely not! Play hard, play to win or GTFO!

[Image: 8e7f9c0b4798bc9347a989ed660ad243.gif]

Love it Harley... Hilarious

But seriously, i bet these players would be down with about any out of house coach right about now.
Reply/Quote
Are they players or advisors? A coaching hire should be a reflection of the vision of the Owner/GM. It doesn’t help that ours has blurred vision. If I’m an owner, I’d have a small group of advisors with extensive knowledge regarding things like this. Current players would be a conflict of interest. If you have a player that’s close to retiring and there are plans to bring him into the front office, then maybe. It gets murky if you mix player and management responsibilities.
Reply/Quote
Nah..they just need a motivational speaker like Matt Foley.. They can all go live in a van down by the river! 
https://youtu.be/Xv2VIEY9-A8
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
No,No NO.

No way do you hire a head coach that 'fits in with what the players kinda want'. If anything, with a new coach, EVERY single player should feel that they have to prove their worth all over again. His job is to create the culture of the team and players fit into it or they don't. If they don't they're gone. That is the only way a coach can be evaluated, if it's his team, his locker room, his culture. I truly believe that is why Marvin has lasted as long as he did. MB knew that Lewis was a head coach with one arm tied behind his back. You don't think Marvin lobbied for better practice facilities? Bigger scouting dept, etc? He didn't get much of what he wanted, but did keep getting extensions.

It'll be interesting to see how this unfolds. I can't think of any head coach that would take the position under the same environment that Lewis tolerated.
You have to believe you hired the right coach to build your team in his image and philosophy. It either works or it doesn't but the organization has to be all in for any chance of success. Player input ? NO WAY. Why give a player input into anything, when he very well may be gone in a year or two?
Reply/Quote