Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals in Odd Numbered Years under Lewis
If you don't count 2007, the Bengals have done really well in general in odd-numbered years. At the very least, they were really fun to watch in those seasons.

2015 is in the conversation of all-time best Bengals teams with the 8-0 start. Yeah, I know. Playoff collapse.

2013 was also a great year where Zim and Gruden springboarded into head coaching gigs. Dalton set a bunch of franchise season records at QB. The Defense played really well.

2011 was a shocker with the rookies Dalton and Green, where they defied expectations and made the playoffs.

2009 we swept the AFC North and won the division. It was flanked by two pretty horrible seasons though.

2007 crashed and burned big time, but had some fun moments with Carson, Chad and TJ. J-Joe and Leon Hall cemented themselves as one of the hot young CB tandems. Because this season sucked, you can argue that 2006-2008 was the worst 3 year stretch in Marvin's tenure.

2005 was epic, and is also in the conversation of best all-time Bengals teams.

2003 was Marvin's first year where the Bengals were competitive and had spirit for the first time in a long time.

Let's hope 2017 continues this trend, yeah?
Reply/Quote
Your reaching, but why not? Maybe Marvin will buy into this.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Well, some have always thought that Marvin was sort of odd in his in-game decision making, compared to other Head Coaches. Perhaps it is his year to shine?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I'm torn here. I really want to see the team succeed this year... and by "succeed" I mean win at least one damn playoff game. I'm nervous that merely making the playoffs will be enough to satisfy the Browns to give Marvin yet another extension, even if the team s***s the bed in the postseason again and gives Marvin an 0-7 playoff record. It's playoff win or bust, IMO. If we don't get that, and Marvin is extended... I will go ballistic
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 09:39 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: I'm torn here. I really want to see the team succeed this year... and by "succeed" I mean win at least one damn playoff game. I'm nervous that merely making the playoffs will be enough to satisfy the Browns to give Marvin yet another extension, even if the team s***s the bed in the postseason again and gives Marvin an 0-7 playoff record. It's playoff win or bust, IMO. If we don't get that, and Marvin is extended... I will go ballistic

Even if we win the Superbowl Marv should leave. It would be good for everyone and what people don't know about Marv
won't hurt him. This team will have to carry him that is all i know from history, but they damn well could.

That is how talented this roster is.

Odd numbered years, weird but the OP has history on his side as well lol
Reply/Quote
This sounds like a fred stat.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 10:31 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: This sounds like a fred stat.

Gotta have somebody be a stat man when Fred gets his ass banned all the time...
Reply/Quote
2000 Ravens.

Case Closed.

(Ok maybe it's just a head coaching trend)
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 10:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Gotta have somebody be a stat man when Fred gets his ass banned all the time...

The banhammer what twirling again?  I still say we need a smiley for that, swinging something that looks like Thor's hammer over its head.  
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 07:30 PM)MaineBengal Wrote: If you don't count 2007, the Bengals have done really well in general in odd-numbered years. At the very least, they were really fun to watch in those seasons.

2015 is in the conversation of all-time best Bengals teams with the 8-0 start. Yeah, I know. Playoff collapse.

2013 was also a great year where Zim and Gruden springboarded into head coaching gigs. Dalton set a bunch of franchise season records at QB. The Defense played really well.

2011 was a shocker with the rookies Dalton and Green, where they defied expectations and made the playoffs.

2009 we swept the AFC North and won the division. It was flanked by two pretty horrible seasons though.

2007 crashed and burned big time, but had some fun moments with Carson, Chad and TJ. J-Joe and Leon Hall cemented themselves as one of the hot young CB tandems. Because this season sucked, you can argue that 2006-2008 was the worst 3 year stretch in Marvin's tenure.

2003 was Marvin's first year where the Bengals were competitive and had spirit for the first time in a long time.

Well 2007 We did lead the league in IR  that has to count for something,
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 07:30 PM)MaineBengal Wrote: If you don't count 2007, the Bengals have done really well in general in odd-numbered years. At the very least, they were really fun to watch in those seasons.

Odd numbered years? Now I have heard it all. Cmon man. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2017, 10:14 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: The banhammer what twirling again?  I still say we need a smiley for that, swinging something that looks like Thor's hammer over its head.  

Last i saw Fred got banned again, dude just doesn't learn lol

Sounds good to me, maybe use Hewitt as Thor. Cool
Reply/Quote
If odd numbers works I'll take it except this is the Bengals 50th anniversary which by all accounts isn't an odd number unless you just count the 5.. 

Thinking about getting banned I'm way overdue. It was a regular feature on the old board. Just a simple misspelling of the word AS seemed like a capital offense. One extra s.. What's the big deal about a bunch of extra S's?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-14-2017, 01:08 PM)grampahol Wrote: If odd numbers works I'll take it except this is the Bengals 50th anniversary which by all accounts isn't an odd number unless you just count the 5.. 

Thinking about getting banned I'm way overdue. It was a regular feature on the old board. Just a simple misspelling of the word AS seemed like a capital offense. One extra s.. What's the big deal about a bunch of extra S's?

It is harder to get banned on this board no shit. Ninja
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2017, 01:10 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is harder to get banned on this board no shit. Ninja

Glad you didn't type sshit. Uh oh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2017, 12:27 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Last i saw Fred got banned again, dude just doesn't learn lol

Sounds good to me, maybe use Hewitt as Thor. Cool

Perfect!  Or Fej, but he cut his hair...they both have that kind of Viking look (Sorry, Zimmer, not that kind of Viking)
Reply/Quote
Marvin good in odd years ?

No freakin wonder we always lose in playoffs !

Marv harnesses the odd year karma and does his thing kicking butt and taking names throughout the season.

Then the Playoffs roll around and it is 2018 ! An even number year and the whole thing unravels immediately.

Finally I understand the Bengals now.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Odd year ? hey and maybe the 15th time is a charm ?
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2017, 01:10 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is harder to get banned on this board no shit. Ninja

Depends on if it's a odd/even month.

Reply/Quote
(06-14-2017, 01:56 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Marvin good in odd years ?

No freakin wonder we always lose in playoffs !

Marv harnesses the odd year karma and does his thing kicking butt and taking names throughout the season.

Then the Playoffs roll around and it is 2018 !  An even number year and the whole thing unravels immediately.

Finally I understand the Bengals now.

Ha! Awesome post.

Yeah, I'm not saying it's a causal relationship or anything, just a trend that has been going for 15 years now. No reason to think it won't continue.

*knocks on Ogbuehi's forehead*
Reply/Quote