Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Bengals interested in J.C. Jackson
(03-09-2022, 04:15 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: It will certainly be interesting to see what they do at this point.

I mentioned this in a FA thread that the price tag for CJ is going to be a little higher now then a lot of people around here will like with Schultz, Njoku and Gesicki all getting hit with the tag. Still some good names to be had, but I have a feeling CJ will get a nice contract from either the Bengals or someone else.

Hopefully the Bates issue gets resolved and they extend him so he isn't playing under the tag but it seems like the guaranteed money issue might be the hold-up. 

Sadly, I really think they're going to end up much like last season where there is a lot of articles linking them to the top tier OL guys, but then watching all of them be priced out of the Bengals comfort zone. The team then getting a few tier 2-3 guys and crossing their fingers.

Honestly, I think a few tier 2-3 guys would still signal a significant upgrade.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't think this JCJ wet dream is realistic unless we're ready to pony up that guaranteed $. However, the cutting of Trae Waynes will have them in the market for a CB to go opposite of Awuzie. I don't doubt that they're eyeing JCJ, but it's just not going to be enough unless he REALLY wants to chase a couple rings. I think the next best thing could happen with Stephon Gilmore.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 11:36 PM)Synric Wrote: No chance the Bengals give JC Jackson the kinda money he wants. We are talking 25ish mil APY.

With 50-60 million in guaranteed money. Hendrickson was our biggest signing with guarantees and he literally got 20 million guaranteed.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
Parts of me are feeling like this could be likely to pass if Brown has much control still. He likes his flash. When ZT started here, we had AD, AJ and WJIII as superstars (emerging superstar) (in MBs mind). We've replaced AD with Burrow, AJ with Chase and now all that's left is WJIII. Dont want this to happen but I'm fearful its possible
Reply/Quote
I would love to sign Jackson. He’s one of the best CB in the nfl. INT machine. We need that. If we signed him and 2 OL I would be extremely happy.

Why aren’t we discussing some more tough topics. Like cutting Mixon or Boyd to make this happen. Especially Mixon. If cutting him and Waynes got us Jackson, sign me up! Draft a RB in round 2.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 10:21 AM)Ell Prez Wrote: I would love to sign Jackson. He’s one of the best CB in the nfl. INT machine. We need that. If we signed him and 2 OL I would be extremely happy.

Why aren’t we discussing some more tough topics. Like cutting Mixon or Boyd to make this happen. Especially Mixon. If cutting him and Waynes got us Jackson, sign me up! Draft a RB in round 2.

Cutting Mixon saves only $3.17m in cap space. Next year is the first year Mixon could potentially be cut with a $12.85m cap hit and cutting him would save $7.35m.

Cutting Boyd saves more, but then you're turning a strength into a weakness and putting yourself into a situation where either a really late 2nd-4th round rookie WR has to perform immediately as a starter or you're giving large amounts of offensive snaps to Trent Taylor/Auden Tate/Stanley Morgan.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
They can sign JC Jackson and still get an upgrade at C and G. Will they? Who knows. But it is possible. Bengals seem to value CBs, so I would not be shocked if we work something out.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 11:32 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Just saw this and it would be nice but I hope we don't get him and have that prevent us from getting us another offensive lineman.

those 3 draft picks from last year will be our new additions to the OL
Reply/Quote
If we wanna go to the next level and only plan on signing 1 or 2 lineman that leaves money for maybe one more impact player

Seattle just released Bobby Wagner. He would make our 3 linebacker sets insane
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 10:34 AM)Pezmerga Wrote: They can sign JC Jackson and still get an upgrade at C and G. Will they? Who knows. But it is possible. Bengals seem to value CBs, so I would not be shocked if we work something out.

I’m assuming we’ll sign 2 guys around the 12 million dollar range. Idk if that’s 2 lineman but I’m 100% sure it’s at least ONE lineman. So a guy like JC may be in play but he’s probably asking for 20 mill plus. Probably not thinking about him
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 06:04 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Problem is pouring money on Armstead is only protecting Burrow some of the time. The rest of the time the guy will be on the IR.

He's literally never played a full season in the NFL. Dude is fragile. Odds are you're going to pay him, he will play 7-10 games, and then you're stuck continuing to pay him top end money as Jonah moves back to LT and Isaiah Prince becomes the starting RT again while he watches in a hoodie on the sideline.

Same problem I would have with signing Brandon Scherff. I would rather have a slightly less talented but SIGNIFICANTLY more reliable/durable player for much much less money.

I agree. He’s a stud when healthy. Same with scherff. Maybe even the New England tackle that people keep talking about. I don’t want any of them.
I know players can get hurt at any moment, but no need to bring injury prone guys.

I’m fine with Moses. As good or better than what we’ve had and plays. Daniels, young and still improving. Jensen, proven.

I don’t expect all 3. I’d be damn stoked with any 2 of these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
I want nothing but olinemen we could bring in all the 85 Bears in their prime to help the D but I would still be disappointed if we didnt protect Burrow
Reply/Quote
Post #10, I played fantasy GM and made my quick case for why we should go after Jackson just ahead of this rumor.

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Free-Agency-2022-Almost-here?pid=1186712#pid1186712

Zac Taylor off seasons have comprised signing defense players during the free agency period. Maybe that continues this off season? We have so many posts focusing on free agency and the OL that perhaps we're overlooking Taylor's previous off seasons of focusing on defense. The trend might just continue again in the upcoming weeks.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 11:48 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Post #10, I played fantasy GM and made my quick case for why we should go after Jackson just ahead of this rumor.

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Free-Agency-2022-Almost-here?pid=1186712#pid1186712

Zac Taylor off seasons have comprised signing defense players during the free agency period. Maybe that continues this off season? We have so many posts focusing on free agency and the OL that perhaps we're overlooking Taylor's previous off seasons of focusing on defense. The trend might just continue again in the upcoming weeks.

If we dont fix the OLine this off season it would be the dumbest thing this franchise has ever done and we have done quite a bit of dumb things.
Reply/Quote
Nothing before linemen. I won't argue which particular ones because I don't know them all that well, but you absolutely have to make the line much better. We ripped on Apple, but I'm guessing he was nowhere near the worst corner in the league. Sign depth CBs maybe, but you have to make the line much better.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 11:57 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: If we dont fix the OLine this off season it would be the dumbest thing this franchise has ever done and we have done quite a bit of dumb things.

Agreed it would be a bad move.  I'd have to think about if it was the dumbest organization move ever. Signing Jackson doesn't mean there is no possibility of improving the line. Both can occur, but obviously if a lot of money was thrown at Jackson then it might mean a different caliber of OL player is signed.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 11:57 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: If we dont fix the OLine this off season it would be the dumbest thing this franchise has ever done and we have done quite a bit of dumb things.

People said that last offseason too after Burrow hurt his knee.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 12:43 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Nothing before linemen.  I won't argue which particular ones because I don't know them all that well, but you absolutely have to make the line much better.  We ripped on Apple, but I'm guessing he was nowhere near the worst corner in the league.  Sign depth CBs maybe, but you have to make the line much better.

I understand and support the "nothing before lineman" sentiment, but at what cost for the quality of player? NFL.com offers these are the top FAs:

https://www.nfl.com/news/top-101-nfl-free-agents-of-2022-who-are-the-best-nfl-players-available

Basically only Armstead (1) is viewed as better than Jackson (2). Other free agent OL rank within the 10 to 15 range but are those guys on the same level of talent as Jackson? I'd be content if Jackson was signed instead of Armstead and then some money was still allocated for getting Bozeman or Jones at C instead of Jensen as the higher rated C.

If I'm Duke and signing players for this year and beyond, Jackson might be a better investment than Armstead for cost and productivity.

Anyhow, it's all fun info to think about so the Bengals can improve.
Reply/Quote
I would be shocked if they paid the money necessary for someone like Jackson.
However, if they did, we need to be ready for TE, DT, and/or some OL position(s) to not get addressed with a quality FA.
Might have to wait until the draft to fill 1 or more of those if the Bengals use a lot of the cap to bring in Jackson.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 01:15 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I would be shocked if they paid the money necessary for someone like Jackson.
However, if they did, we need to be ready for TE, DT, and/or some OL position(s) to not get addressed with a quality FA.
Might have to wait until the draft to fill 1 or more of those if the Bengals use a lot of the cap to bring in Jackson.

For me, this (bolded text from your post) is what it comes down to if I'm playing the role of Duke. Would I be content with Jackson and perhaps a Ben Jones type OL talent or is that too costly and the better option is to sign Jensen and another OL player?
Reply/Quote