Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bengals interested in Jordy Nelson
(03-13-2018, 11:49 PM)ah5 Wrote: If this happens I am going to assume mb went stif and the information had not been released yet.

Mean and ignorant (He doesn't run the team as much as Katie, Troy, and Marvin) but I laughed when I read this.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 08:28 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, I can't answer for Truck, but I tend to agree with him.  This team already has plenty of receivers that we can't get the ball to.  There are plenty of more pressing needs, besides another WR to spend serious money on.

If you really want to improve the offense's passing game ranking, give Andy another .5 seconds with the ball to allow plays to fully develop.

And what I see as a need is more quick, short-space separation, and that is not Nelson.  He is a very good WR, but he is more of a downfield long-strider.  
Reply/Quote
This move only really makes sense if they're planning on dumping LaFell.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
I agree with Truck; I think we actually have decent receivers here. Plus, they can draft a guy in the latter rounds.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 11:42 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: What does that even mean, Truck?

They had good enough wide receivers for the 27th ranked passing offense last year. How do you look at it and go "nah, we're good"? Was it a planned 27th passive offense, and any better would mess up the plan or something?

Lol... just such a weird statement that somehow this offense makes better players somehow unnecessary. As if Lazor is talking to Marvin and Mike "Whatever you guys do, don't give me any WRs not named AJ Green who can run good routes, get open frequently, or make big plays. That'll just mess up EVERYTHING for my LaFell-5-yard-pass offense."

BTW: The Packers were in a 3-way tie for 17th in passing plays of 40+ yards. The year before they were in a 4-way tie for 10th. The year before that they were in a 3-way tie for 29th. Apparently that's throwing 50 yard bombs all day?

Yeah, because Aaron Rodgers played a full season, right? Because Hundley has the arm and talent to throw bombs like Rodgers, right?

It has been stated that we will be running a more balanced offense, "running the ball alot," and all that.

We don't need two 1500 yard receivers, if we're running the ball a lot; again, it will far from hurt us, but how useful would adding him REALLY be? Fix the oline and plug the holes before adding a luxury.

This is T.O. all over again (though even I didn't see 2010 being like it was...)

That's all I meant by that, easy with the snark.

EDIT: Not to play, he said, she said or to turn this into a popularity contest, but it seems that many understood and agree with my statement.

Just like the piece, its an opinion and I feel that with how our offense is, "supposed to be," we will not have a need for two big-time receivers, when there are other, more-pressing issues.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
So what about the guys we drafted like Boyd and Malone? Are we ever really going to give them a shot or just sign the Lafells and Nelsons?
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Can't really say I'd be mad if we got Nelson but I agree with Truck and many others. More pressing needs at O-line still, LB, even S and wouldn't mind a TE.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 10:19 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Can't really say I'd be mad if we got Nelson but I agree with Truck and many others. More pressing needs at O-line still, LB, even S and wouldn't mind a TE.

Everyone says we have more pressing needs , which is probably true but you are assuming that by signing Nelson that we would be ignoring a need. Who says that we are going to sign someone else? Jordy Nelson is better than any receiver not named A.J. Green on this roster and would be an upgrade.  Wouldn't you rather sign him than being done in FA all together?
Reply/Quote
He's 32 and word is that he lost speed after the ACL tear.

I feel bad for him, but no thanks. We can do better. Don't get fooled by the name.

Now if we cut LaFell and can get Jordy on the cheap, then maybe it's a consideration. Just don't expect a 1000 yard, 10 TD guy anymore.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 12:44 AM)wildcats forever Wrote: If spending that money for him means they won't re-sign Bodine, then I'm all for it.  Ninja  But seriously, no - I don't see the FO moving in this direction.

Looking at the numbers, we're not losing Boyd at under a million per year, nor do I think LaFell will be cut at <$4 million. Green is untouchable of course. The talent behind them (that will take the few remaining snaps) does warrant another year of development and opportunity to progress. I definitely think Ross is not to be overlooked. There are bigger fish to fry outside of the WR group. 

Agree you must have misunderstood my post. 

Said there were bigger needs here and thought he would sign with another team. But would not complain if they decided to go this direction.

Have not overlooked Ross but seems Marvin has for some reason. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I would rather sign Pryor and dump LaFell. Pryor has some upside. Nelson and LaFell don't.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 11:42 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: What does that even mean, Truck?

They had good enough wide receivers for the 27th ranked passing offense last year. How do you look at it and go "nah, we're good"? Was it a planned 27th passive offense, and any better would mess up the plan or something?

Lol... just such a weird statement that somehow this offense makes better players somehow unnecessary. As if Lazor is talking to Marvin and Mike "Whatever you guys do, don't give me any WRs not named AJ Green who can run good routes, get open frequently, or make big plays. That'll just mess up EVERYTHING for my LaFell-5-yard-pass offense."

BTW: The Packers were in a 3-way tie for 17th in passing plays of 40+ yards. The year before they were in a 4-way tie for 10th. The year before that they were in a 3-way tie for 29th. Apparently that's throwing 50 yard bombs all day?

People like you would have wasted millions on a free agent WR after Sanu and Marvin Jones's rookie season.

We may not have great WR's behind Green, but we have a proven vet in LaFell (who is not near as bad as many people like to claim) and two rookies (Ross and Malone) with a lot of potential.

So right now we have much bigger priorities in free agency than another WR.

In fact our passing game would benefit more from a good TE than another WR.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 09:39 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: This is T.O. all over again (though even I didn't see 2010 being like it was...)

TO signed a 1-year deal that was worth $4 million at most and put up almost 1000 yards and scored 9 TDs.  We should be so lucky to get another "bad signing" FA like that to line up across from AJ Green.  I don't get the TO hate.  The guy didn't make Palmer throw 20 INTs, he didn't make Marvin into a coach who can't keep a lead, and he didn't make Benson fumble constantly.

There are so many lousy FA signings we've made, but people keep using the guy who did his damn job as an example of what we do wrong.  Lordy!

Anyways, we don't need this Packers guy because every year we go into the season wondering how we are EVER going to get all our amazing WRs on the field at the same time. You know, then the season starts and AJ Green is the only good one, but we aren't to that point yet.
Reply/Quote
Nelson has been one of the more difficult WR's to cover in the league, when healthy. I've listened to more than one DB speak about the task, and each of them said that he is a very tough to match up with.
He would create serious problems, specifically for Pitt.

I like him. Not sure that we need him or how the money would go, but he could help this team.
If this is true, and Cincy is really interested, it makes me wonder about Ross's future in Cincy.
Reply/Quote
As if we've never signed any washed up FAs hoping they have 'something left in the tank' in the past...
Here's a novel approach . Make him into a linebacker because nothing wrong ever happened in Bengaldom by trying to convert anyone to a linebacker.. We gotta learn how to think inside the box. That 'outside the box' stuff is soooo 1990s.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 12:27 PM)Nately120 Wrote: TO signed a 1-year deal that was worth $4 million at most and put up almost 1000 yards and scored 9 TDs.  We should be so lucky to get another "bad signing" FA like that to line up across from AJ Green.  I don't get the TO hate.  The guy didn't make Palmer throw 20 INTs, he didn't make Marvin into a coach who can't keep a lead, and he didn't make Benson fumble constantly.

There are so many lousy FA signings we've made, but people keep using the guy who did his damn job as an example of what we do wrong.  Lordy!

Anyways, we don't need this Packers guy because every year we go into the season wondering how we are EVER going to get all our amazing WRs on the field at the same time. You know, then the season starts and AJ Green is the only good one, but we aren't to that point yet.

I've praised TO constantly (save for him the target on 13 of Carsone's picks that year; not all his fault, but that was a glaring issue), so I don't get the people on this board calling me out for things I've never said or insinuated.

Yes TO was a GREAT signing and he had big-time success.

BUT, Nelson could very well be another TO: sign a guy that will ball out, when the other half of the team is full of holes and needs attention, thus negating the good contributions that the signing would provide.

I don't see what's so difficult to comprehend here; the guy won't hurt us, but will he really make a significant-enough impact, when those same resources could be better spent somewhere else?

Stop it.
Reply/Quote
Do not want 33 year old past his prime guy that’s probably overrated cause he was catching passes from Rogers
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 12:46 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I've praised TO constantly (save for him the target on 13 of Carsone's picks that year; not all his fault, but that was a glaring issue), so I don't get the people on this board calling me out for things I've never said or insinuated.

BUT, Nelson could very well be another TO: sign a guy that will ball out, when the other half of the team is full of holes and needs attention, thus negating the good contributions that the signing would provide.

I don't see what's so difficult to comprehend here; the guy won't hurt us, but will he really make a significant-enough impact, when those same resources could be better spent somewhere else?

Stop it.

Look, I'm sorry if I misinterpreted the point of your post, but you have to understand why I assumed you meant TO was the problem with 2010 since he's the only person from that team you mentioned.

I'd wager you should be a bit clearer next time if you plan on getting this defensive that your point has been missed.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 12:50 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Look, I'm sorry if I misinterpreted the point of your post, but you have to understand why I assumed you meant TO was the problem with 2010 since he's the only person from that team you mentioned.

I'd wager you should be a bit clearer next time if you plan on getting this defensive that your point has been missed.

Not really trying to be defensive, but LL took a shot at me because he misunderstood and now you were displeased with what I said, because you misunderstood as well; just want people to lay off.

Got no problems with anyone; I'm good, you're good, we can head to a good cafe and sip tea over some goodness (yes, I know that was horridly lame).

I'll attempt to be more clear, next time around. BUT DON'T PUT WORDS IN MY MOUTH!!!!!! :@:@:@:@
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 12:46 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I've praised TO constantly (save for him being the target on 13 of Carson's picks that year; not all his fault, but that was a glaring issue), so I don't get the people on this board calling me out for things I've never said or insinuated.

Stop it.

I get that you're not bashing TO overall, but I still have to nitpick this point.

As the most targeted player, of course TO was the target on the majority of INTs. AJ Green was the target of 12 of Dalton's 20 INT's in 2013, for example. This doesn't mean the receivers were doing something wrong necessarily. Could be inaccuracy on the QB's part, or any number of problems. I get that you said it wasn't all TO's fault, but considering Palmer's history, and TO's history of QB's who didn't throw many INT's, I'd say it was more of a Carson issue.

That was far from the only year CP was prone to throwing INT's. He threw 20+ three times and was on pace to throw 20+ at least 3 other times. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote