Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bengals interested in Jordy Nelson
(03-14-2018, 01:07 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Not really trying to be defensive, but LL took a shot at me because he misunderstood and now you were displeased with what I said, because you misunderstood as well; just want people to lay off.

Got no problems with anyone; I'm good, you're good, we can head to a good cafe and sip tea over some goodness (yes, I know that was horridly lame).

I'll attempt to be more clear, next time around. BUT DON'T PUT WORDS IN MY MOUTH!!!!!! :@:@:@:@

No worries.  I remember your Alex Kidd avatar, not all your specific views though.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Prefer a Center first.
Then LB.
Then a Luxury WR signing.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 01:08 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I get that you're not bashing TO overall, but I still have to nitpick this point.

As the most targeted player, of course TO was the target on the majority of INTs. AJ Green was the target of 12 of Dalton's 20 INT's in 2013, for example. This doesn't mean the receivers were doing something wrong necessarily. Could be inaccuracy on the QB's part, or any number of problems. I get that you said it wasn't all TO's fault, but considering Palmer's history, and TO's history of QB's who didn't throw many INT's, I'd say it was more of a Carson issue.

That was far from the only year CP was prone to throwing INT's. He threw 20+ three times and was on pace to throw 20+ at least 3 other times. 

TO Targets: 139
Chad Targets: 126

Chad had 3 or 4 picks, when throwing to him in coverage.

THAT was the biggest issue I had.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 12:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: People like you would have wasted millions on a free agent WR after Sanu and Marvin Jones's rookie season.

We may not have great WR's behind Green, but we have a proven vet in LaFell (who is not near as bad as many people like to claim) and two rookies (Ross and Malone) with a lot of potential.

So right now we have much bigger priorities in free agency than another WR.

In fact our passing game would benefit more from a good TE than another WR.

People like you have enabled and excused Mike Brown not winning a GD thing for nearly three decades. Now which is worse? Also Sanu is not a good WR, so yes, I would have been pretty happy replacing him with a FA when he was here.

LaFell is bad and only getting worse.

Ross isn't a rookie. Malone isn't a rookie. Neither of them are eligible to win a Rookie of the Year award, so neither are rookies. Stop it with the giving everyone 4 rookie seasons, already.

Bengals 2017 top 3 WRs:
Green 75/1,078/8
LaFell 52/548/3
Boyd 22/225/2

That's not good. Not to mention the two not named AJ Green were averaging barely over 10 yards per catch. The third WR had TWO running backs with more yardage than him. The Bengals need WR help. Now does it have to be Nelson? Obviously not. But they need help.

Brandon LaFell was 76th in receiving yards. That's a middling 3rd option.
Boyd was 181st in receiving yards. That's a low 6th option.

Fixing the OL is the first priority, but WR is still a big need.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 08:28 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, I can't answer for Truck, but I tend to agree with him.  This team already has plenty of receivers that we can't get the ball to.  There are plenty of more pressing needs, besides another WR to spend serious money on.

If you really want to improve the offense's passing game ranking, give Andy another .5 seconds with the ball to allow plays to fully develop.

having a WR that can get open and separation will help that something lafell didn't do much of last year.

Core cant see the field
Boyd we should see more of.
Ross is still a big ol ?

WR depth can easily be upgraded behind AJ   

depends on what type of deal Nelson is looking for.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 01:56 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Ross isn't a rookie. Malone isn't a rookie. Neither of them are eligible to win a Rookie of the Year award, so neither are rookies. Stop it with the giving everyone 4 rookie seasons, already. 
Dude, that reminds me of the "genius" Steeler fan that used to post in the Smack Talk section (maybe he's still there, I don't know, i don't go there anymore) and he tried to convince everyone that Big Ben's real first non-rookie season was his 10th because it was like the first time he played all 16 games or something like that. It was a really stupid argument.
I forgot who it was, but  this just reminded me of him.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 01:56 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: having a WR that can get open and separation will help that something lafell didn't do much of last year.

Core cant see the field
Boyd we should see more of.
Ross is still a big ol ?

WR depth can easily be upgraded behind AJ   

depends on what type of deal Nelson is looking for.
Agree!!
I like LaFell's proffesionalism, but he doesn't create the kind of problems that a healthy Nelson does. The deal has to be right though.

This Glenn trade really helps open up a few different options for making the team better.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 12:44 AM)wildcats forever Wrote: If spending that money for him means they won't re-sign Bodine, then I'm all for it.  Ninja  But seriously, no - I don't see the FO moving in this direction.

Looking at the numbers, we're not losing Boyd at under a million per year, nor do I think LaFell will be cut at <$4 million. Green is untouchable of course. The talent behind them (that will take the few remaining snaps) does warrant another year of development and opportunity to progress. I definitely think Ross is not to be overlooked. There are bigger fish to fry outside of the WR group. 

All very good points but man, outside of AJ our WR's really don't know how to get open.

Jordy is great at getting open, maybe the best. Like you said, i doubt it happens but if it keeps us from re-signing that dude i am all for it.

Jordy would also be a great player for Ross to look up to and could help him mature into a great Receiver.

But maybe AJ is doing this anyways this year, we will see. Just need our WR's to get open more often, was sad last year.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 01:56 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Ross isn't a rookie. Malone isn't a rookie. Neither of them are eligible to win a Rookie of the Year award, so neither are rookies. Stop it with the giving everyone 4 rookie seasons, already.

Stop losing your shit over semantics.

I know Ross and Malone are not rookies.  I meant to say they were rookies last year.  Thus the comparison to Sanu and Marvin Jones who blossomed after their rookie seasons.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 02:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: All very good points but man, outside of AJ our WR's really don't know how to get open.

And you would have said the exdact same thing about Sanu and Marvin Jones after their rookie season.

You have not seen enough of a healthy Ross to decide if he knows how to get open or not.  And it is possible that Josh Malone will improve from his rookie season like so many other NFL players do.

If you never give any of our draft picks more than one season you are going to end up throwing away a lot of money on free agents that are not needed.
Reply/Quote
All set with signing him he’s gonna be 33 when the season starts and is more of a possession guy at this point in his career. We have to find out what we have in Ross he’s only in his 2nd year and we took him 9th overall don’t write him of yet. I was frustrated with Ross too but let’s see what he can do when he’s fully healthy. Hopefully Boyd can bounce back and fill the possession WR role. Glenn was are big money acquisition and im fine with that. Plus you’ll probably have to overpay to get Nelson and that could affect are ability to resign Geno next year. I rather have Geno and Dunlap resigned next year then Jordy at 34 next season. Are best plan would be to not sign Bodine, draft a center early and look for some reasonable free agent deals.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 01:56 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Also Sanu is not a good WR, so yes, I would have been pretty happy replacing him with a FA when he was here.

Even a 32 year old free agent who averaged 9.1 yards per catch?
Reply/Quote
I'd love the prospect of Jordy coming here. Outside of AJ Green, we have a lot of relative unknowns. Our offense hasn't really had firepower since the departure of Marvin Jones and Sanu. One is a quality number one option (should be anyways) and the other is a great second pairing to Julio Jones. LaFell is not good enough to be a second, that's just facts. I don't see the talent, separation or skill. John Ross might be it, if he ever plays. I see some good things in Tyler Boyd but not enough consistently.

To say we have PLAYMAKERS at WR is just simply untrue. Outside of AJ, we do not have much.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
If we signed Jordy and cut LaFell, I'd be all for it. We have to see what's up with these young receivers though. There was so much talk about Core and his improvement last season, but he didn't see the field much. Ross is a total unknown, I'd like to see how Malone has progressed, and I feel we need to find time for Boyd as well. We have some young receivers who are talented on paper and Boyd is underutilized. If the team is planning on being a run first team (Marvin loves to run the ball while the rest of the league airs it out), then there's no reason to sign Jordy or even play LaFell. Feed Mixon, give the young guys a shot, and see what happens.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 03:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And you would have said the exdact same thing about Sanu and Marvin Jones after their rookie season.

You have not seen enough of a healthy Ross to decide if he knows how to get open or not.  And it is possible that Josh Malone will improve from his rookie season like so many other NFL players do.

If you never give any of our draft picks more than one season you are going to end up throwing away a lot of money on free agents that are not needed.

I get your points. I have high hopes for Ross and Malone, just would like to trade Brandon Lafell for Jordy Nelson.
Reply/Quote
When you say rookies, and I say they're not rookies, it's me losing my shit over semantics.

When I specifically say it doesn't have to be Jordy Nelson, and you use Jordy Nelson's stats as if that's the only option possible, that's somehow okay?

It had been awhile since I had tried to engage you with replies Fred. Now I remember why.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I think Nelson is on the downslide of his career. I doubt he will repeat what he did a couple of seasons ago and before.

However he would still be a solid pickup as a situational receiver as opposed to a starting one, mainly as a 3rd down and red-zone receiver more or less. And if Ross somehow can blossom into the number 2, why wouldn't anyone want Nelson as a 3rd receiver out there?
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 03:23 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: When I specifically say it doesn't have to be Jordy Nelson, and you use Jordy Nelson's stats as if that's the only option possible, that's somehow okay?

You often do not make your position clear.  In this case you seemed to be attacking a person for saying we should not pursue Nelson.  then you never said you did not want to pursue Nelson.  So all I was trying to do was get you to explain your position.

And instead of answering a simple question to define your position you respond with a personal attack against me.

Instead of stooping to your level I will instead just ask the same question again.  Do you think the Bengals should try to sign Jordy Nelson?
Reply/Quote
This is the only place where I have seen Nelson visiting. NFL Network and ESPN are all saying Raiders, Seattle and Jets, no mention of Cincinnati.
Reply/Quote
K whoever said Sanu is not a good wide receiver is high he is a good solid number 2 who is also great out of the slot. I’d take sanu in a heart beat over lafell. The bengals def need help at wide out. Truthfully I’m not really that impressed with AJ anymore. AJ of course is great and can make the spectacular catch but he is so inconsistent which I know can be a number of things but....we need imho a better option at the y or #2 spot at wr. Maclin is being released. That might be worth calling about.
Reply/Quote