Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals kicker battle update: Practice Yesterday- "Elliot still struggling..."
(08-25-2017, 02:45 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: This BoBengals MUST be someone related to or a close friend of, Bullock's; no 2 ways about it.

Anyways, made/missed in practice means absolutely **** for kickers, almost as much as the PS for everyone else, in terms of evaluating.

- Are the kicks being hit well?
- Are the kickers making any adjustments for wind, distance, etc.?
- Are they correcting their mistakes?

Kickers kick probably dozens of attempts each day and the three mentioned above, need to be evaluated on all of those kicks.

When they do, "7/7s," or, "simulations," many things can go wrong including snaps, holds, etc. Just because one goes 4/4 and one goes 2/4, doesn't mean that all of the snaps and holds were perfect, nor does it mean that the kickers aren't doing the 3 things mentioned above.

I can't wait to see Elliot win, then see this BoBengal guy disappear.

Oh and Zane Gonzalez looks like absolutely nothing special, so I hope all you Gonzalez lovers realise the folly, when he either doesn't make the team or if he struggles (he may do well, who knows?).

Just then, maybe, MAYBE will you realise that this team sometimes picks the better player.

I posted an article written by cincy jungle... I didn't write the damn thing.  I'm just going off of what I'm reading AND seeing -- it's pretty obvious.

I WISH that I had some NFL genetics in our family tree-- that would probably at least help pay off my kids' student loans!  haha  And, if you know a way for me to score some autographs from any of the Bengals guys, "hook a brother up!"  I'll even buy a jersey and drive it over to them.
Reply/Quote
2nd quarter Bullock hits a 54 yard FG
3rd quarter Elliot misses a 45 yard FG

I like Elliot but I predicted Bullock would win the kicking job...
we'll see...
Reply/Quote
So whats the excuse now. Hold, wind, pressure, just sucks?
Reply/Quote
Updated game stats after the 3rd Preseason Game:

Bullock:  100%  from  54, 49, 47, 53, and 26 yards  (Average Made FG Distance:  45.8 yards)

Elliot:  75%  from  45, 32, 39 (missed from 45)  (Average Made FG Distance:  38.6 yards)
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2017, 08:26 PM)BoBengal Wrote: Updated game stats after the 3rd Preseason Game:

Bullock:  100%  from  54, 49, 47, 53, and 26 yards  (Average Made FG Distance:  45.8 yards)

Elliot:  75%  from  45, 32, 39 (missed from 45)  (Average Made FG Distance:  38.6 yards)

You might get what you want but you're gonna be eating crow when Bullock lets us down in the regular season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2017, 08:32 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: You might get what you want but you're gonna be eating crow when Bullock lets us down in the regular season.

Why, Bonnie? Why are you actively rooting for Bullock to fail? And why so much love for a rookie kicker who's done nothing but struggle since he started here? Why so enamored with Bullock's past struggles? Please enlighten me because I don't get it. 

Compared to Bullock NOW, Elliott has consistently looked worse NOW. It was a competition. He clearly lost. And he's likely on his way out. But why so bitter? A true Bengal fan would root for whoever our kicker is, and not hope they fail just so they could say "I told you so". 
Reply/Quote
I like both, I don't see them giving up on Elliott, but at the same time how much more can you do to win a job than be perfect like Bullock has been. Another thing I hear is "develop" how the F do you develop a kicker? They have learned as much as they need to by now. If you could develop them more than the TB kicker wouldn't have been cut already. Sometimes they just start slow. Maybe it's nerves, maybe it's a narrower fg post. Other than that just kick the damn ball.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2017, 08:54 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I like both, I don't see them giving up on Elliott, but at the same time how much more can you do to win a job than be perfect like Bullock has been. Another thing I hear is "develop" how the F do you develop a kicker? They have learned as much as they need to by now. If you could develop them more than the TB kicker wouldn't have been cut already. Sometimes they just start slow. Maybe it's nerves, maybe it's a narrower fg post. Other than that just kick the damn ball.

That TB kicker that was cut is now kicking for the Bears.  So Bullock gets points for "experience" even though that experience is average, but if what you're saying is true, experience doesn't matter because a kicker should know everything he needs to know. Can't have it both ways. 
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2017, 08:49 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Why, Bonnie? Why are you actively rooting for Bullock to fail? And why so much love for a rookie kicker who's done nothing but struggle since he started here? Why so enamored with Bullock's past struggles? Please enlighten me because I don't get it. 

Compared to Bullock NOW, Elliott has consistently looked worse NOW. It was a competition. He clearly lost. And he's likely on his way out. But why so bitter? A true Bengal fan would root for whoever our kicker is, and not hope they fail just so they could say "I told you so". 

I'm not rooting for him to fail. He already failed in a real game when it mattered.  We had a chance to start new with a rookie and instead we're choosing failure, which we do too often.  
Reply/Quote
Bonnie it was a kicking battle Elliot lost fairly bullock cost us a game that wasn't even that important at that point of the season and helped our draft stock
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
This is lame. He was a 5th rounder. He struggled in camp n hasnt done anything worth while. Just cut the kid already and move on. Why are we pulling so much for this no name kicker. It reminds me when 95 % of Bengals fans wanted fullback Conner. Yhr Bengals along with Fred n others (the usuals) rooted for Charles who was absolutely garbage. To small n slow for TE. N to stiff n raw for FB.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2017, 09:03 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: Bonnie it was a kicking battle Elliot lost fairly bullock cost us a game that wasn't even that important at that point of the season and helped our draft stock

He'll do it again.  There's a reason he's played for 6 teams and hasn't played a full season since 2014.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2017, 08:58 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: That TB kicker that was cut is now kicking for the Bears.  So Bullock gets points for "experience" even though that experience is average, but if what you're saying is true, experience doesn't matter because a kicker should know everything he needs to know. Can't have it both ways. 

I never said Bullock gets points for experience ,he's been perfect, what else is a guy to do. If that's not points what is? I'm just saying how much learning and developing does a damn kicker need. I think we put too much into that. They just need to kick the freakin ball. That's it, no tricks, no schemes, just make the kick. In Elliott's defense I said maybe it's nerves or the goal post being closer. Never said he needs developed like I've heard on hear which is total BS.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2017, 09:04 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I never said Bullock gets points for experience ,he's been perfect, what else is a guy to do. If that's not points what is? I'm just saying how much learning and developing does a damn kicker need. I think we put too much into that. They just need to kick the freakin ball. That's it, no tricks, no schemes, just make the kick. In Elliott's defense I said maybe it's nerves or the goal post being closer. Never said he needs developed like I've heard on hear which is total BS.

I disagree with that.  We have a great special teams coach in Simmons who can help Elliott turn into a great NFL kicker.  I don't believe you come out of college knowing everything you need to know. If he doesn't, someone else will. Also, a great preseason isn't gonna show up in his stats, which say he's in the low 80s and hasn't played a full season since 2014. If he's so great, why has he played for 6 teams? You'd think Houston would have kept him. We're gonna go with the average guy who did well in preseason and he will let us down again when it matters. I just wish the Bengals would choose differently but they always choose that path.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2017, 09:07 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I disagree with that.  We have a great special teams coach in Simmons who can help Elliott turn into a great NFL kicker.  I don't believe you come out of college knowing everything you need to know. If he doesn't, someone else will. Also, a great preseason isn't gonna show up in his stats, which say he's in the low 80s and hasn't played a full season since 2014. If he's so great, why has he played for 6 teams? You'd think Houston would have kept him.

If the coach is so great why didn't he correct Nuge. You have the leg or you don't. I happen to agree with you about Bullocks past, but how can you ignore what he's done now. If Elliott was a walk on would you feel the same. He was a 5th round pick that should have been a 7th or FA. That's it.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2017, 09:07 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I disagree with that.  We have a great special teams coach in Simmons who can help Elliott turn into a great NFL kicker.  I don't believe you come out of college knowing everything you need to know. If he doesn't, someone else will. Also, a great preseason isn't gonna show up in his stats, which say he's in the low 80s and hasn't played a full season since 2014. If he's so great, why has he played for 6 teams? You'd think Houston would have kept him. We're gonna go with the average guy who did well in preseason and he will let us down again when it matters. I just wish the Bengals would choose differently but they always choose that path.

Why turn one bad decision to draft this guy in the 5th into 2 bad decisions by keeping him over someone who is playing perfect.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2017, 09:14 PM)TKUHL Wrote: If the coach is so great why didn't he correct Nuge. You have the leg or you don't. I happen to agree with you about Bullocks past, but how can you ignore what he's done now. If Elliott was a walk on would you feel the same. He was a 5th round pick that should have been a 7th or FA. That's it.

What he's done now is in preseason and does not matter.  He missed a kick in a real game that counted, and it's not the first time.  And I have the video and there was no bad snap or miscommunication.   You're gonna get your wish with Bullock and I know we will regret it.  
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2017, 09:07 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I disagree with that.  We have a great special teams coach in Simmons who can help Elliott turn into a great NFL kicker.  I don't believe you come out of college knowing everything you need to know. If he doesn't, someone else will.  Also, a great preseason isn't gonna show up in his stats, which say he's in the low 80s and hasn't played a full season since 2014.  If he's so great, why has he played for 6 teams?  You'd think Houston would have kept him. We're gonna go with the average guy who did well in preseason and he will let us down again when it matters.  I just wish the Bengals would choose differently but they always choose that path.

You're right Darrin Simmons is an excellent coach so it's not a stretch he could have helped Bullock as much as Elliot.

Elliot and Bullock have battled it out this off season and even though I was rooting for Elliot Bullock has been the obvious winner. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-27-2017, 09:17 PM)Synric Wrote: You're right Darrin Simmons is an excellent coach so it's not a stretch he could have helped Bullock as much as Elliot.

Elliot and Bullock have battled it out this off season and even though I was rooting for Elliot Bullock has been the obvious winner. 

Fine.  If Bullock makes a game winner for us I'll eat crow.  But if he misses, as he has before, it will be same old, same old Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2017, 09:19 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Fine.  If Bullock makes a game winner for us I'll eat crow.  But if he misses, as he has before, it will be same old, same old Bengals.

Stomp those feet girl. It'll be aight lol. You're still good in my book.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote