Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
Bengals last 5 years.
(04-10-2016, 08:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You love regular season wins.  I have seen you here happy with a big regular season win.

What is wrong with all of you people?  Many of you lose your minds over big regular season losses, but now you act like you don't even watch regular season games.

What a bunch of hypocrites. 

There was a time when back to back 8-8 seasons gave us spasms of joy, too.  It's only logical to adjust your expectations when the evidence YOU love to present indicates that the Bengals should be doing more than they are doing.

Honestly, is there any statistical or qualitative evidence that it is anything but ridiculous that a team that makes the playoff 5 years in a row would come away with 0 wins?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2016, 03:37 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Why don't you start naming teams that have been to the playoffs more than twice?
Because the entire point of my post was that winning one playogg game in a five year period doen not mean you have been a better team over that stretch.  It is like saying the Browns are superior to the Bengals because they won a playoff game more recently than the Bengals.

I'd love to win in the playoffs as much as any of you guys.  I am not satisfied with just making the playoffs.  But I am not going t o be so ridiculous to suggest that one single playoff win is more important than multiple seasons making the playoffs.

One single wild card playoff win is not that important.

The Cowboys are 40-40 over the last 5 years with only ONE winning season.  The fact that they won a single playoff game does not mean they have been better than the Bengals over that span.

Chiefs are also 40-40, but they have made the playoffs twice.  The fact that they were able to win a single playoff game still does not mean they have been better than the Bengals over that span.

I will give the Falcons credit because their single playoff victory got them to the Conference Championship game, and that is way more impressive than just winning a wild card game like Dallas or KC.  But they are only 41-39 with just two winning seasons over the last 5 years.   

The Falcons (and specifically Matt Ryan) are actually a pretty good example of how I feel about the value of a single playoff win.  I felt Matt Ryan took too much grief for not winning a single playoff game despite winning 43 regular season games his first four years in the league.  But after he won a single playoff game he got a pass for going 18-30 over the last three years.  If he had never won that single playoff game the fans would have ran him out of Atlanta by now.

I will feel just the same at the end of the season if we win a single playoff game but do not make it to the Super Bowl.  One single playoff game will feel nice, but it will not be as important to me as it will be for a lot of people here.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2016, 03:37 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Chiefs have been very good over the past 3 years. They got a new coach after going 2-14 and hadn't won a playoff game since 1993.

Andy Reid in town, last 3 seasons they went 31-17. 1-2 in the playoffs.

They've had more success than the Bengals. Who went 33-14-1. But are 0-3 in the playoffs.

Why don't you start naming teams that have been to the playoffs more than twice? Like the Seahawks, Patriots, Broncos, Packers, Colts, and Panthers.

EVERY one of those teams made it to the Conference Championship.

And guess what? Bengals have a better regular season record than two of those teams. And close to all the other ones.

Yet, one those teams are in the conference championship every year in those 5 years.

Bengals have a ton of regular season success. We're allowed to be happy. But does anyone care about the 2012 season right now? No. Why? It ended like the last 5 years.

Bengals struggle in the playoffs and in primetime. Numbers don't lie with that.

This is the part where fred brings up some obscure meaningless stat to counter
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2016, 11:22 PM)Browns Town Bengal Wrote: This is the part where fred brings up some obscure meaningless stat to counter

No it isn't.  I have always admitted that the Bengals struggle in big games, but I do define "big games" differently than other fans.

I don't consider a game against an 8-8 Dolphin team to be a "bigger" game than one against a 12-4 New England team just because the Miami game was on Thursday night.  I don't think a game against a 7-9 Browns team is bigger than a couple of games against a 10-6 Ravens team just because the Brown's game was on Thursday night.

I don't define how big a game is by "kickoff time".
Reply/Quote