Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals lessons to learn from the Falcons
This is just a few things I have noticed about the Falcons that are eerily similar to the Bengals, and the Bengals could learn by doing some of the things that Atlanta has done to improve their team. In no particular order:

1.) The running game- Devonta Freeman was drafted in 2014 and really got his shot last year with over 1000 yards on 264 carries. He actually improved his average this year, with almost 1100 yards on 227 carries. He also chipped in 54 receptions. His presence seems to be the missing piece to an offense that always had receivers and a solid QB, but needed that threat of the running game to make it all work.

Notice, also, that the Falcons don't run him 30 times a game. Instead, they keep him fresh with a balance of a decent number of carries and spread the ball around to the TEs and WRs as well.

2.) Defensive line- I was surprised when I saw Tyson Jackson, a former high first-rounder that started his career as a 3-4 DE at Kansas City. He was playing DE in Atlanta's 4-3 defense. The Falcons also have Brooks Reed, from the Texans, playing opposite of him, but they rush more than the four down linemen with Vic Beasley and Dwight Freeney rotating in. The really impressive thing I saw was Ra'Shede Hageman, a beast of a man from Minnesota that I really wanted a couple years ago to replace Peko. I was apparently off on his grade of a second rounder, as he doesn't start in Atlanta, and had some off-the-field troubles in the off-season. He was selected before the Bengals picked in Round 2. Regardless, I thought it was impressive how he was consistently double-teamed, but would not allow himself to be forced away from his assignment: stay to the right of Russell Wilson. He would push and fight to get to a spot to the right of Wilson, forcing him to run to his left, where he is nowhere near as dangerous a passer on the run. It was great execution of a great game plan.

3.) Guts- Late in the first half, Seattle had a punt that they downed at the 2 yard line. I think there was just under 3 minutes remaining in the half. I pictured Andy Dalton in the same scenario. You could see what plays would happen if Cincy was in the same situation: Rush middle, rush middle, pass play where Dalton scrambles and throws out of bounds to stop the clock. This is what Atlanta did: right before the snap, the RB split out wide and they went with 5 WRs. Shotgun snap, quick pass, 8 yard gain. Immediately, you felt Seattle get back on their heels. Atlanta got a TD, and went in to the half up 19-10 and never looked back. If the Bengals had run their typical gutless series at the goal line, they would have given the ball back to Seattle who would have likely scored at the very least a FG and taked the lead before the half. Instead, Atlanta went up two scores and ended up winning the game. It takes guts.

4.) Attitude- I'm not sure if anyone was listening to the broadcast, but I LOVED what I heard from Kyle Shanahan in an interview with one of the announcers. There was a play that was flagged for defensive holding by Sherman, which was blatant on the replay. The announcer described what Shanahan had told him in a pre-game interview that (not direct quote) "We knew they were going to hold us on every play. We told them they have to arm-fight and get off their defenders. We can't hope an official sees it. We knew it wouldn't be easy, but if you want easy go work at a grocery store." If Marvin busts this year, I now am firmly in the camp of Kyle Shanahan as our next coach.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Here's the thing. Look at how long the Falcons have struggled to get to this point. This is Ryan's ninth year and he just got his second playoff win.

I'm not saying that the Bengals would have been exactly the same, but last year's Bengals team reminds me a lot of this year's Falcons. I truly believe that the Bengals would have gotten that first round bye had Dalton not gotten hurt.
Reply/Quote
If you want Shanahan as our next HC, we better get him on staff immediately. I have a feeling that the next Bengals HC is already on the payroll... Unfortunately.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 04:12 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: This is just a few things I have noticed about the Falcons that are eerily similar to the Bengals, and the Bengals could learn by doing some of the things that Atlanta has done to improve their team.  In no particular order:

1.) The running game- Devonta Freeman was drafted in 2014 and really got his shot last year with over 1000 yards on 264 carries.  He actually improved his average this year, with almost 1100 yards on 227 carries.  He also chipped in 54 receptions.  His presence seems to be the missing piece to an offense that always had receivers and a solid QB, but needed that threat of the running game to make it all work.  

Notice, also, that the Falcons don't run him 30 times a game.  Instead, they keep him fresh with a balance of a decent number of carries and spread the ball around to the TEs and WRs as well.  

2.) Defensive line- I was surprised when I saw Tyson Jackson, a former high first-rounder that started his career as a 3-4 DE at Kansas City.  He was playing DE in Atlanta's 4-3 defense.  The Falcons also have Brooks Reed, from the Texans, playing opposite of him, but they rush more than the four down linemen with Vic Beasley and Dwight Freeney rotating in.  The really impressive thing I saw was Ra'Shede Hageman, a beast of a man from Minnesota that I really wanted a couple years ago to replace Peko.  I was apparently off on his grade of a second rounder, as he doesn't start in Atlanta, and had some off-the-field troubles in the off-season.  He was selected before the Bengals picked in Round 2.  Regardless, I thought it was impressive how he was consistently double-teamed, but would not allow himself to be forced away from his assignment:  stay to the right of Russell Wilson.  He would push and fight to get to a spot to the right of Wilson, forcing him to run to his left, where he is nowhere near as dangerous a passer on the run.  It was great execution of a great game plan.  

3.) Guts- Late in the first half, Seattle had a punt that they downed at the 2 yard line.  I think there was just under 3 minutes remaining in the half.  I pictured Andy Dalton in the same scenario.  You could see what plays would happen if Cincy was in the same situation:  Rush middle, rush middle, pass play where Dalton scrambles and throws out of bounds to stop the clock.  This is what Atlanta did:  right before the snap, the RB split out wide and they went with 5 WRs.  Shotgun snap, quick pass, 8 yard gain.  Immediately, you felt Seattle get back on their heels.  Atlanta got a TD, and went in to the half up 19-10 and never looked back.  If the Bengals had run their typical gutless series at the goal line, they would have given the ball back to Seattle who would have likely scored at the very least a FG and taked the lead before the half.  Instead, Atlanta went up two scores and ended up winning the game.  It takes guts.

4.) Attitude-  I'm not sure if anyone was listening to the broadcast, but I LOVED what I heard from Kyle Shanahan in an interview with one of the announcers.  There was a play that was flagged for defensive holding by Sherman, which was blatant on the replay.  The announcer described what Shanahan had told him in a pre-game interview that (not direct quote) "We knew they were going to hold us on every play.  We told them they have to arm-fight and get off their defenders.  We can't hope an official sees it.  We knew it wouldn't be easy, but if you want easy go work at a grocery store."  If Marvin busts this year, I now am firmly in the camp of Kyle Shanahan as our next coach.

Great analysis SHRacer. Completely agree with all of this. I will just add that the Falcons are coached
very well which is why i am definately with you in getting Kyle Shanahan. Dude has fire and is a bit cocky.
we need this instead of the lazy ass Marv show that is extremely frustrating to not only us fans but i am
sure the players.

A few guys that stood out to me besides Quinn and the coaches...

Tevin Coleman RB, Babineaux D-lineman and Garland who played DT and got the Safety on Wilson.

Garland was a backup Guard too, i like seeing coaches using versatile players this way.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 04:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Garland was a backup Guard too, i like seeing coaches using versatile players this way.

I forgot to mention on our other thread that Billings actually started as an offensive lineman (at which point I think Lapham literally had an orgasm) and he still likes "knocking people around" in reference to blocking.  I started to think:  maybe he is out short yardage extra lineman?
Reply/Quote
Don't forget that they also investing in the OL. Oh, and 74 year old Arthur Blank was dancing with the team in the locker room, after the win.

That last sentence may say the most about the satisfaction that comes from making a commitment to build a winner.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 04:38 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I forgot to mention on our other thread that Billings actually started as an offensive lineman (at which point I think Lapham literally had an orgasm) and he still likes "knocking people around" in reference to blocking.  I started to think:  maybe he is out short yardage extra lineman?

Wow, didn't know that about Billings. Thanks.

(01-15-2017, 04:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Don't forget that they also investing in the OL.  Oh, and 74 year old Arthur Blank was dancing with the team in the locker room, after the win.

That last sentence may say the most about the satisfaction that comes from making a commitment to build a winner.

What do you know? A decent Center helps?

We should of got Alex Mack years ago if we wanted to win the whole thing.
Reply/Quote
They won a playoff game under Mike Smith just a few years ago. Then they had a couple of down years, fired him, and now just won another playoff game under Dan Quinn in his second year. So there is that as well.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 04:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Don't forget that they also investing in the OL. 

Yep! They signed Alex Mack this offseason to upgrade their gaping weakness at center. He has helped transform their offense. 

But don't tell Mike Brown or Marvin Lewis. They'll give Bodine a 5 year extension.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 06:11 PM)clevelandsdad Wrote: Yep! They signed Alex Mack this offseason to upgrade their gaping weakness at center. He has helped transform their offense. 

But don't tell Mike Brown or Marvin Lewis. They'll give Bodine a 5 year extension.

Atlanta has such a fun offense to watch, they take advantage of a defense in so many different ways.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 06:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Atlanta has such a fun offense to watch, they take advantage of a defense in so many different ways.

Agreed! The offense reminds me of the 2015 Bengals offense. Playmakers everywhere, stout O-line, and a QB seemingly coming into his own. They're even better though, IMO. 
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 04:29 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Here's the thing.  Look at how long the Falcons have struggled to get to this point.  This is Ryan's ninth year and he just got his second playoff win.

I'm not saying that the Bengals would have been exactly the same, but last year's Bengals team reminds me a lot of this year's Falcons.  I truly believe that the Bengals would have gotten that first round bye had Dalton not gotten hurt.

Yep...and the Falcons changed coaches...and BAM! they got over the hump.

It's tough with the Bengals because we had the talent to win playoff games...we even had the lead last year against the Steelers late and just hard to run out the clock and Hill fumbled. The Bengals just don't have the mental toughness to win big games.

Thus a new HC hopefully could instill that.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 04:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Great analysis SHRacer. Completely agree with all of this. I will just add that the Falcons are coached
very well which is why i am definately with you in getting Kyle Shanahan. Dude has fire and is a bit cocky.
we need this instead of the lazy ass Marv show that is extremely frustrating to not only us fans but i am
sure the players.

A few guys that stood out to me besides Quinn and the coaches...

Tevin Coleman RB, Babineaux D-lineman and Garland who played DT and got the Safety on Wilson.

Garland was a backup Guard too, i like seeing coaches using versatile players this way.
I thought Sanu did well too. He is one of the few former Bengals to get a Playoff win(s). Good for him. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 04:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Don't forget that they also investing in the OL.  Oh, and 74 year old Arthur Blank was dancing with the team in the locker room, after the win.

Heck, Mikey would probably skip the celebration as it would be past his bedtime.
Reply/Quote
Is it sad to know that Sanu will walk away winning a playoff game, and AJ probably never will?
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote

Good point.  I should have mentioned the Alex Mack signing....I was one of the most vocal proponents of signing him at the expense of some other pieces of the current team (Maualuga, Peko, Hall).  

He got a hell of a contract there, but it has clearly made a huge difference.  
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 09:02 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Is it sad to know that Sanu will walk away winning a playoff game, and AJ probably never will?

Oh come on...he has time and the Bengals will be RIGHT back in the mix next year.  
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 09:02 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Is it sad to know that Sanu will walk away winning a playoff game, and AJ probably never will?

Why?  Do you think that playoff game or games Sanu wins, unless it's the last one, will make any difference whatsoever for the Hall of Fame??
Reply/Quote
I think another lesson is although you have a star WR...it's ok to draft another star WR. AJ Green is 29. Roddy White was around the same age when they drafted Julio Jones. Now they have Julio Jones carrying the team.

It would be ok to pick Mike Williams even though we have AJ Green. When Williams rookie deal is up, Green would be around 34.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2017, 06:46 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep...and the Falcons changed coaches...and BAM! they got over the hump.

It's tough with the Bengals because we had the talent to win playoff games...we even had the lead last year against the Steelers late and just hard to run out the clock and Hill fumbled. The Bengals just don't have the mental toughness to win big games.

Thus a new HC hopefully could instill that.

Silly talk. The HC has no effect on how his players perform in big games.

Marv does keep us from going back to the 90's though, and we should be thankful.

Do you really want to go back to pagers, Nirvana and Fresh Prince? Ninja
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote