Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals may lose out on Thuney; Thuney is intrigued by the Ravens
I'll be really happy to get Thuney if he comes here. That said, I'm starting to think signing Zeitler, particularly if he could be had for slightly more than half as much as Thuney's likely 15 mil per deal, is the smarter move. Is Thuney better than Zeitler? Sure. Is he 7 or 8 mil better? No way no how. I'm not sure that the difference between them would bear out significantly enough to really effect the win loss total in 2021.
Reply/Quote
Agree with this 100000%. Would love thuney but I would be happier with Zietler for a lot less and not much of a drop off in talent. And I do think thuney being the highest rated guard has caused thuney to be overrated. I can think of 5 offensive guards I want more than thuney right now hell u can wake me up from a black out binge night and I could still give u 3 I want more than thuney. He’s not the best or a top 5 guard imo so we need to be careful we don’t pay him that way cuz someone is going to
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 11:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Trai Turner is definitely an interesting option, given his only 33 penalties in well over 5,800 snaps. (That's like 0.005% penalty rate)  The Panthers hated to have to trade him, would be nice to give him a forever home in Cincinnati.

However, you listed 4, add Thuney, and that is 5.  Still a bit short of our "ton of Guards"..

Turner is not who I'd want to end up with, dude made the pro bowl his last year with the Panthers but there fans seemed to be pretty disappointed with his play that year, I think he was below 60 that year on pff. Then this year with the chargers the dude was like a 34 on pff and played pretty horribly.

Not saying he couldn't turn it around but seems like he got paid and kinda fell off, not usually a good sign. 

Also to add another OG so you can hit 6, Richie Incognito. Not saying that I want him but he is a legit option and looks to have played pretty damn well last year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 08:59 PM)J24 Wrote: There are a ton of guards that would fit the Bengals that would be less expensive and won't count against comp picks.

Agreed...too many options to the point its getting diluted out there. If we sign him great if not no big loss really. + some very good 2nd and 3rd round options in the draft.   
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 07:22 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Thuney apparently needs to realize that he's messing up the triple crown Joe play the Bengals could have.

Joe (Burrow) takes the snap, hands it off to Joe (Mixon) who hits the hole that Joe (Thuney) creates.

Lamar, JK, Joe? That no good.

Lamar is one hit a way man...

Get one good shot on him and the Ravens are not the same. Still have a good D though.

Thuney I think is just trying to up his stock, smart move. He isn't a great run blocker, he is a bit overrated.

Great pass blocker, a lot like Zeit who will be much cheaper.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2021, 05:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Lamar is one hit a way man...

Get one good shot on him and the Ravens are not the same. Still have a good D though.

Thuney I think is just trying to up his stock, smart move. He isn't a great run blocker, he is a bit overrated.

[Image: when-people-ask-me-if-we-should-get-frie...322811.jpg]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2021, 05:12 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: [Image: when-people-ask-me-if-we-should-get-frie...322811.jpg]

I just want a couple pass rushers and a Corner, but if we could pull it off I would be all for getting both.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2021, 11:51 AM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Agree with this 100000%.  Would love thuney but I would be happier with Zietler for a lot less and not much of a drop off in talent.  And I do think thuney being the highest rated guard has caused thuney to be overrated.  I can think of 5 offensive guards I want more than thuney right now hell u can wake me up from a black out binge night and I could still give u 3 I want more than thuney.  He’s not the best or a top 5 guard imo so we need to be careful we don’t pay him that way cuz someone is going to

I read somewhere,that there is mutual interest in Zietler coming back to Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2021, 06:00 PM)bengalsboy Wrote: I read somewhere,that there is mutual interest in Zietler coming back to Bengals.

Likely on here..  LOL
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2021, 11:18 AM)samhain Wrote: I'll be really happy to get Thuney if he comes here. That said, I'm starting to think signing Zeitler, particularly if he could be had for slightly more than half as much as Thuney's likely 15 mil per deal, is the smarter move. Is Thuney better than Zeitler? Sure. Is he 7 or 8 mil better? No way no how. I'm not sure that the difference between them would bear out significantly enough to really effect the win loss total in 2021.

That’s how I’m feeling. 2 pretty good players would be better than one really good player.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2021, 05:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Lamar is one hit a way man...

That's what I was getting ready to post. Lamar runs the ball a lot. Lot's of opportunity for him to be injured. Without Lamar, the Ravens are not a SB team. 
Reply/Quote
I know the family very very well and we have all casually chatted about it with his parents many times since Joe was drafted. He would absolutely come back to SW Ohio and play with a competitive offer. His family would love it. They literally (whenever possible) fly or drive to attend all of his games every Sunday, home and away. Ultimately, they say and support that it is Joe's decision and they will support him 100%. They all look at it as his job. He won the Superbowl his first season. That has already been accomplished. I think he is looking for the best fit for himself at this point. He and the entire family are first class people. A+ family. It's Joe's job and a business that sets him up for the rest of his life. He already has a Superbowl, I think Joe should be looking for whatever Joe wants at this point.

If the Bengals make him a competitive offer, I see him taking it. If they hem and haw around and someone else steps up, then it is what it is.

To those wanting Zeitler back: GTFO of here. He is NOT a premium player. The Bengals need EXCELLENCE with upside, not broken and mediocre on the back 9. You guys wanting to go for for cheap O-linemen or just so-so talent have me thinking MB has multiple accounts on here.

The Bengals offense needs help to become a major force. F the defense in 2021. It's a lost cause to fix in 1 season. Spreading resources around gets the team to avg or mediocre at best. The offense can be elite in 2021 (that helps the D a lot) with a few pieces. Fix the D in back half of the 2021 draft and 2022 and make it a 2/3 year plan to ascend. Zeitler is NOT going to do any of that.

BTW, Joe nor the family strikes me as the type to "be intrigued" by any of these football clubs. That is over the top for them.

BTW part 2: I like how his sis likes Bengals related tweets involving Joe and people here kind of brush that aside as soon as some rando posts a tweet about the Ravens. He sites "inside source". There is NO inside source better than mine. I can promise you that. Very good chance he comes to Cincy if they make a competitive offer. Let it all play out.

BTW part 3: I'm not so sure Joe LOVED living in Mass. He is also well aware of cost of living and tax rates in different NFL cities. Like anyone else, pay someone a lot of money and they will find a way to live anywhere, but I don't see Joe as the type of guy to love living in the DC/Baltimore area based on things I have been told. Again, could they pay him some insane amount of money and make it work? Sure... but if the Bengals are competitive, I think his choice would be easily made.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2021, 09:16 PM)Sled21 Wrote: That's what I was getting ready to post. Lamar runs the ball a lot. Lot's of opportunity for him to be injured. Without Lamar, the Ravens are not a SB team. 

Same mind.

(03-14-2021, 12:09 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I know the family very very well and we have all casually chatted about it with his parents many times since Joe was drafted. He would absolutely come back to SW Ohio and play with a competitive offer. His family would love it. They literally (whenever possible) fly or drive to attend all of his games every Sunday, home and away. Ultimately, they say and support that it is Joe's decision and they will support him 100%. They all look at it as his job. He won the Superbowl his first season. That has already been accomplished. I think he is looking for the best fit for himself at this point. He and the entire family are first class people. A+ family. It's Joe's job and a business that sets him up for the rest of his life. He already has a Superbowl, I think Joe should be looking for whatever Joe wants at this point.

If the Bengals make him a competitive offer, I see him taking it. If they hem and haw around and someone else steps up, then it is what it is.

To those wanting Zeitler back: GTFO of here. He is NOT a premium player. The Bengals need EXCELLENCE with upside, not broken and mediocre on the back 9. You guys wanting to go for for cheap O-linemen or just so-so talent have me thinking MB has multiple accounts on here.

The Bengals offense needs help to become a major force. F the defense in 2021. It's a lost cause to fix in 1 season. Spreading resources around gets the team to avg or mediocre at best. The offense can be elite in 2021 (that helps the D a lot) with a few pieces. Fix the D in back half of the 2021 draft and 2022 and make it a 2/3 year plan to ascend. Zeitler is NOT going to do any of that.

BTW, Joe nor the family strikes me as the type to "be intrigued" by any of these football clubs. That is over the top for them.

BTW part 2: I like how his sis likes Bengals related tweets involving Joe and people here kind of brush that aside as soon as some rando posts a tweet about the Ravens. He sites "inside source". There is NO inside source better than mine. I can promise you that. Very good chance he comes to Cincy if they make a competitive offer. Let it all play out.

BTW part 3: I'm not so sure Joe LOVED living in Mass. He is also well aware of cost of living and tax rates in different NFL cities. Like anyone else, pay someone a lot of money and they will find a way to live anywhere, but I don't see Joe as the type of guy to love living in the DC/Baltimore area based on things I have been told. Again, could they pay him some insane amount of money and make it work? Sure... but if the Bengals are competitive, I think his choice would be easily made.

Thanks once again for the insight into the family and Joe PDub.ThumbsUp

Zeit is a premium pass blocker though, just like Joe. Disagree on that part, Zeit was cut for cap reasons.

Zeit will be cheaper and we will be able to afford making the entire team better and not just adding one good player.

I like Thuney, would love to have him at the right price. But we have lots of holes to fill and I don't want to wait around 
forever to get a Super Bowl win. We have Burrow, now is the time to get as many good players around him as possible. 

No time to wait around and be in high scoring affairs cause our D sucks. We have to fix the trenches on both sides, not 
just one Guard position.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 04:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Same mind.

Thanks once again for the insight into the family and Joe PDub.ThumbsUp

Zeit is a premium pass blocker though, just like Joe. Disagree on that part, Zeit was cut for cap reasons.

Zeit will be cheaper and we will be able to afford making the entire team better and not just adding one good player.

I like Thuney, would love to have him at the right price. But we have lots of holes to fill and I don't want to wait around 
forever to get a Super Bowl win. We have Burrow, now is the time to get as many good players around him as possible. 

No time to wait around and be in high scoring affairs cause our D sucks. We have to fix the trenches on both sides, not 
just one Guard position.

Disagree on Zeitler being good.

They invested heavily on the defensive side of the ball and got the best, most important player on the team's leg ripped off.

The team will go nowhere without an elite offensive line first. Anything else is 2ndary.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 05:00 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Disagree on Zeitler being good.

They invested heavily on the defensive side of the ball and got the best, most important player on the team's leg ripped off.

The team will go nowhere without an elite offensive line first. Anything else is 2ndary.

Well you are wrong about Zeit than, he was one of the best pass blocking Guards in the league last year and has been for years.

He would help keeping our best, most important player's leg from getting ripped off, same as Joe would, but for cheaper.

Agree with your last sentence, have to take care of the O-line, this is the #1 priority this Offseason. Zeit and another O-lineman
would help in doing so. One player will not take care of the entire Offensive Line though. If we just get Thuney and no other help
in FA we have holes all over the place still. We need at least a couple pass rushers in FA and a couple O-lineman to free up the 
Draft in case Sewell is not there at 5 IMO.

Or we will be in a tight spot.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 05:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well you are wrong about Zeit than, he was one of the best pass blocking Guards in the league last year and has been for years.

He would help keeping our best, most important player's leg from getting ripped off, same as Joe would, but for cheaper.

Agree with your last sentence, have to take care of the O-line, this is the #1 priority this Offseason. Zeit and another O-lineman
would help in doing so. One player will not take care of the entire Offensive Line though. If we just get Thuney and no other help
in FA we have holes all over the place still. We need at least a couple pass rushers in FA and a couple O-lineman to free up the 
Draft in case Sewell is not there at 5 IMO.

Or we will be in a tight spot.

Looking up PFF grades, Joe Thuney is over all 74.2 & Zeitler is 65.9. Spain is mid 50s.

I am not saying Zeitler is a dumpster fire. I am saying that Joe Thuney is 3 years younger and as much a difference better than Zeitler as Zeitler is better than Spain.

I guess that's where I'm at. I want the Bengals to actually go for it. Like, shove the chips into the middle of the table and get a premium O line in front of Burrow for the next 3-4 years and give the team time to draft and develop. If a guy is 10 points better, then get THAT guy. No settling. Pay whatever it takes and get those guys in the building.

Hell, sign them both. What's it going to hurt? A defense that needs a massive infusion of talent? Not happening in one off-season. The offense can go from ok to ELITE in a snap.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 12:09 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I know the family very very well and we have all casually chatted about it with his parents many times since Joe was drafted. He would absolutely come back to SW Ohio and play with a competitive offer. His family would love it. They literally (whenever possible) fly or drive to attend all of his games every Sunday, home and away. Ultimately, they say and support that it is Joe's decision and they will support him 100%. They all look at it as his job. He won the Superbowl his first season. That has already been accomplished. I think he is looking for the best fit for himself at this point. He and the entire family are first class people. A+ family. It's Joe's job and a business that sets him up for the rest of his life. He already has a Superbowl, I think Joe should be looking for whatever Joe wants at this point.

We need two guards. Nobody wants Zeitler INSTEAD OF Thuney.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 09:31 PM)Mobster Wrote: We need two guards. Nobody wants Zeitler INSTEAD OF Thuney.

Not so sure about that, but I would be all for both. 
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 10:10 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Not so sure about that, but I would be all for both. 

Looks like Zietler signed with the Ravens.Saw it on twitter just now.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2021, 08:43 AM)bengalsboy Wrote: Looks like Zietler signed with the Ravens.Saw it on twitter just now.

which might take them out of the running for Thuney
Reply/Quote