Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
'Bengals need to part ways with Carlos Dunlap, Geno Atkins now'
(10-21-2020, 06:11 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: We aren't assuming. The guy missed the first 4 games with a shoulder injury and he has yet to be a full participant in practice all year with said shoulder injury.

Atkins keeps showing up limited on the injury report because he is injured. No assumptions. Black and white print.

Then why is he mad ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2020, 07:12 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Then why is he mad ?

You can be both simultaneously hurt and convinced that your coaches are in way the F above their heads. 

Atkins is an All-Pro and future HoFer. Lou Anarumo was the DB coach for the 23rd ranked passing defense in 2018 and the DC for the 29th overall/25th scoring defense in 2019. Atkins put up 10.0 sacks the year before Anarumo came. Maybe he thinks Anarumo is a garbage DC? Maybe Anarumo has a small penis complex? Maybe Atkins doesn't like how he's treating his friends? Maybe Atkins doesn't like being a loser? I don't know.

But to say that a guy who misses 4 games and hasn't been a full participant on the injury report in practice since isn't injured is a bit silly.

- - - - - - -

Worth noting that the Bengals have drafted exactly 6 Pro Bowlers since 2010.

Jermaine Gresham: Was given shit for not toughing through an injury more, had back surgery that offseason.
Carlos Dunlap: See this year.
Geno Atkins: See this year.
AJ Green: See this year.
Andy Dalton: Was benched for Ryan Finley of all people, driven out and made a scapegoat.
Tyler Eifert: 1 fluke year that he never recreated.

So since 2010 there have been only 6 guys they've drafted who went to the Pro Bowl, and the Bengals have managed to sour 5 of them against the franchise. Add that to Palmer, Dillon, JJo, Boomer, etc... the problem isn't the guys. Getting new guys isn't going to solve anything. It's just going to continue to string along the problem that's been a problem for 30 years now.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2020, 07:43 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You can be both simultaneously hurt and convinced that your coaches are in way the F above their heads. 

Atkins is an All-Pro and future HoFer. Lou Anarumo was the DB coach for the 23rd ranked passing defense in 2018 and the DC for the 29th overall/25th scoring defense in 2019. Atkins put up 10.0 sacks the year before Anarumo came. Maybe he thinks Anarumo is a garbage DC? Maybe Anarumo has a small penis complex? Maybe Atkins doesn't like how he's treating his friends? Maybe Atkins doesn't like being a loser? I don't know.

But to say that a guy who misses 4 games and hasn't been a full participant on the injury report in practice since isn't injured is a bit silly.

- - - - - - -

Worth noting that the Bengals have drafted exactly 6 Pro Bowlers since 2010.

Jermaine Gresham: Was given shit for not toughing through an injury more, had back surgery that offseason.
Carlos Dunlap: See this year.
Geno Atkins: See this year.
AJ Green: See this year.
Andy Dalton: Was benched for Ryan Finley of all people, driven out and made a scapegoat.
Tyler Eifert: 1 fluke year that he never recreated.

So since 2010 there have been only 6 guys they've drafted who went to the Pro Bowl, and the Bengals have managed to sour 5 of them against the franchise. Add that to Palmer, Dillon, JJo, Boomer, etc... the problem isn't the guys. Getting new guys isn't going to solve anything. It's just going to continue to string along the problem that's been a problem for 30 years now.

7) Kevin Huber
8) Vontaze Burfict (UDFA signing)
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2020, 08:17 AM)Sled21 Wrote: 7) Kevin Huber  2009
8) Vontaze Burfict (UDFA signing) 

Reply/Quote
Ok, drafted since 2010. I misread and thought you meant went to the Pro Bowl since 2010. Huber went in 2014.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2020, 08:31 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Ok, drafted since 2010. I misread and thought you meant went to the Pro Bowl since 2010. Huber went in 2014.

All good, it's early.

:andy:

The list of went to the Pro Bowl since 2010 would be not a ton longer but I am feeling way too lazy for that. Though it would include Whitworth who would fit the theme. Lol

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2020, 08:34 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: All good, it's early.

:andy:

Yep, only on my 3rd cup...
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2020, 05:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Geno's fellow NFL players selected him  to the Pro Bowl and we had NO ONE on the roster to replace him.

When Dunlap got healthy last year he was as productive as and DE in the league over the last half of the season.

Bengals would have looked foolish getting rid of two of their best players at the same time they were claiming they were trying to win now.  Coming into this season almost everyone here talked about how the D-line was going to be one of the strengths of the team and it was not because of Christian Covington and Khalid Kareem.

They hadn't won a game at the trade deadline last year. It was painfully obvious they were going to have to rebuild the roster, and that typically does not include players on the wrong side of 30 years old. If you know you're in rebuild mode, you have to get some value for aging players while they still have value. 
Reply/Quote
Well, if the Pro Bowl wasn’t cancelled Jesse Bates would certainly be going this year.

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2020, 02:30 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Atkins, a future HoFer who hasn't missed the Pro Bowl since 7 years ago, gets hurt for just the 2nd time in his 11 year career and has only been put in for 37 snaps in his 2 games back (still hurt). Why is everyone in such a hurry to shit on him?

He's 32 with a shoulder injury. Would you bet 14.8 million dollars that he returns approximate value in return? 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2020, 04:30 PM)J24 Wrote: 1.) Brown wasn't good and was never in the same league as Geno or Carlos.
2.) The offensive line would be better with Glenn than it is now. A Williams/Glenn Tackle combination over A Hart/ Williams any day of the week.

1.) Actually, he led the NFL in tackles and was the 42nd rated LB overall by PFF with a 71.6 the year before he signed here.

2.) Cordy Glenn had all the talent and ability in the world, but not the drive.  I don't think Glenn's numbers when here are much better than Hart's are this season.  
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2020, 08:46 AM)Fullrock Wrote: They hadn't won a game at the trade deadline last year. It was painfully obvious they were going to have to rebuild the roster, and that typically does not include players on the wrong side of 30 years old. If you know you're in rebuild mode, you have to get some value for aging players while they still have value. 

There are no more 3 or 4 year "rebuilding plans" in the NFL anymore.  Teams expect to turn around in one or two seasons.  That means you don't get rid of every single quality player ion your roster.  You rebuild around your current top players.

It is n ot as easy to replace talent as some people seem to think.  Many free agents are flops.  Outside of the first round many draft picks flop.  If you have a dozen new holes in your roster you can't afford to fill them all with expensive free agents, and you can't count on getting good players with every mid round draft pick.  So you have to hold on to some of the good players you already have even when rebuilding. 
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2020, 05:55 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Do you or anyone else know the percentage of snaps Los has been asked to drop into coverage? I seen that as a possibility but I don’t pay close enough attention to that or have access to advance stats. This would support that idea of coaches having no idea what they are doing (besides the poor record). I do know the defensive stats as a while has been better thus year tho.

The issue there is, a lot of defenses are doing that more and more these days. I saw DEs in coverage in two separate college games over the weekend, and in another NFL game. It's a sign of the times....adapt or be left behind.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2020, 06:11 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: We aren't assuming. The guy missed the first 4 games with a shoulder injury and he has yet to be a full participant in practice all year with said shoulder injury.

Atkins keeps showing up limited on the injury report because he is injured. No assumptions. Black and white print.

If that's the case, why is he complaining about playing time? 
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2020, 10:54 AM)fredtoast Wrote: There are no more 3 or 4 year "rebuilding plans" in the NFL anymore.  Teams expect to turn around in one or two seasons.  That means you don't get rid of every single quality player ion your roster.  You rebuild around your current top players.

It is n ot as easy to replace talent as some people seem to think.  Many free agents are flops.  Outside of the first round many draft picks flop.  If you have a dozen new holes in your roster you can't afford to fill them all with expensive free agents, and you can't count on getting good players with every mid round draft pick.  So you have to hold on to some of the good players you already have even when rebuilding. 

I agree with a few things you have said in this thread, but I disagree with your last sentence here. You're talking about players the WERE good in the past, they are not anymore.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2020, 11:26 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: The issue there is, a lot of defenses are doing that more and more these days. I saw DEs in coverage in two separate college games over the weekend, and in another NFL game. It's a sign of the times....adapt or be left behind.

Don’t disagree but why fit a square peg in a round hole? Bell cannot cover and Dunlap is good at rushing the passer. Maximize the strengths by not asking either to cover very often. I guess just know your personal and put them in best position to succeed
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
atkins and AJ are old, why are they still here? by the time we're any good they will have full gray hair.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2020, 10:54 AM)fredtoast Wrote: There are no more 3 or 4 year "rebuilding plans" in the NFL anymore.  Teams expect to turn around in one or two seasons.  That means you don't get rid of every single quality player ion your roster.  You rebuild around your current top players.

That may be true of most teams in the NFL, however, we know the Bengals aren't most teams in terms of the way they operate. Yes, they went out and spent money in free agency this year for a change, but I doubt that was even a thought last season when they had an opportunity to trade aging veterans while they had some trade value in the middle of a 2-14 season. When you're a team that largely builds through the draft, you can bet your ass it's a 3 or 4 year rebuilding plan. It was apparent last year that by the time this team has a chance to be good again, AJ, Geno, and Dunlap will not be significant contributors. That's a hard thing to get through the homer's heads on here that predict them to make the playoffs every year.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2020, 11:57 AM)sandwedge Wrote:  You're talking about players the WERE good in the past, they are not anymore.

I as talking about the people saying we should have traded them last year.
Reply/Quote
And by the way, we are now on year 5 of the rebuilding plan thanks to high draft busts like Ogbuehi, Fisher, Price, and Ross.
Reply/Quote