Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals needs
I dont know if its me or what but I think Bengals need a better MLB Rey Maualuga hasnt really played that well sure his average but average doesnt win playoffs right now Bengals are pretty good at all other positions as far i can tell well maybe QB but Andy is still getting the team to the Playoffs he just needs more help on the defense side they might can use some help at WR just for Depth because right now they only have 3 good wrs in Green Jones and Sanu and they need a good backupmtomstep in if one of them gets injured they drafted Mario but with im being under 6 feet he won't be able to get over most defenders to get the ball. But no matter how you look at it the Bengals are just missing the 1 key player that will open the door for them to win a few playoff games or even a Super Bowl.

What do you think the Bengals need to win a playoff game or Super Bowl
Reply/Quote
[Image: gruden1.png]
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2015, 03:49 PM)nathan3748 Wrote: I dont know if its me or what but I think Bengals need a better MLB Rey Maualuga hasnt really played that well sure his average but average doesnt win playoffs right now Bengals are pretty good at all other positions as far i can tell well maybe QB but Andy is still getting the team to the Playoffs he just needs more help on the defense side they might can use some help at WR just for Depth because  right now they only have 3 good wrs in Green Jones and Sanu and they need a good backupmtomstep in if one of them gets injured they drafted Mario but with im being under 6 feet he won't be able to get over most defenders to get the ball. But no matter how you look at it the Bengals are just missing the 1 key player that will open the door for them to win a few playoff games or even a Super Bowl.

I don't think it is QUITE that simple.

Sure Maualuga could be replaced, but I think more importantly we need to find a new big guy to plug into the middle for when Peko and company ship off.

I think something we don't have that is of extreme value is edge rushers. Yet the team has never made an effort to fix this. While many on here hype up Dunlap as the next Dwight Freeney, he really isn't anything more than average. In fact, I would argue he is playing way under his potential. Besides, that is only one side of the line, and MJ, while being a very intelligent skilled DE, is not an all world pass rusher either.

Our scheme doesn't really fit edge rushing linebackers, and we never try to get an edge rushing DE in the draft... but I think finding one would help us the most (if our coaches could use them correctly)
Reply/Quote
Leaders !

Burfict was taking that role on D but. We need Andy Dalton to step up and shake this O up until it takes hold. We need Marvin to lead with some passion and so on !
Reply/Quote
Tiger I think the players are fine. the Bengals can and should win with the starters they have now. Tiger teeth above me may be on to something, I always said we hired the wrong Gruden. However, barring a miraculous coaching/staff shake up, the one thing that needs to happen to win in the playoffs and SB is:

we need an almost zero injury year from every starter and the entire team coming together and willing/making it happen...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(05-22-2015, 04:04 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I don't think it is QUITE that simple.

Sure Maualuga could be replaced, but I think more importantly we need to find a new big guy to plug into the middle for when Peko and company ship off.

I think something we don't have that is of extreme value is edge rushers. Yet the team has never made an effort to fix this. While many on here hype up Dunlap as the next Dwight Freeney, he really isn't anything more than average. In fact, I would argue he is playing way under his potential. Besides, that is only one side of the line, and MJ, while being a very intelligent skilled DE, is not an all world pass rusher either.

Our scheme doesn't really fit edge rushing linebackers, and we never try to get an edge rushing DE in the draft... but I think finding one would help us the most (if our coaches could use them correctly)
Yeah i was surprised when they didnt take a pass rusher DE in the 1st or 2nd round in the draft this year
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2015, 04:05 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Leaders !

Burfict was taking that role on D but. We need Andy Dalton to step up and shake this O up until it takes hold. We need Marvin to lead with some passion and so on !

This^

Leadership is what will keep the team from falling to pieces in big games. There is enough talent on the roster to play with any team in the league, they have plenty of experience together, just need that little push to get over the top. Like '74 said, Andy needs to be that leader, assume that role, be the Field General.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Healthy players. Also a new medical staff that will actually know fully what's wrong with a player, rather than them having to go to other medical doctors.
Reply/Quote
Agreed, this team needs to get some moxie and play a little "Smash mouth" football. But on the other hand,it seems like when we play that way,our players get hurt! John Gruden,contrary to what some people believe , is a football guru. Young,smart,and knows how to handle the players. Mike Brown needs this man in the fold! Wink
Reply/Quote
Mauluga does ok considering he's tasked with coverage and protecting against the run behind a line that has been hit or miss the last few years in the middle. And that's not really playing to his strength. He wasn't a 'drop back, let the play develop and then make the right call' kind of guy, he was more proactive than reactive.

If we fix the dt position, mauluga will have a longer leash to make plays.
Reply/Quote
Healthy players and better quarterback play.

It's pretty simple. We have one of the most talented rosters in the NFL, but injuries and poor qb play have hindered us, sometimes both, sometimes just one.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2015, 09:16 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Healthy players and better quarterback play.

It's pretty simple. We have one of the most talented rosters in the NFL, but injuries and poor qb play have hindered us, sometimes both, sometimes just one.

Couldn't agree more. A new head coach wouldn't hurt either.
Reply/Quote
[Image: Debartolo.jpg]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
They need to win.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
I wouldn't mind a tall and fast WR. I miss Chris Henry so much!!
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
Here is my wish list:

1. A center and nose tackle that don't constantly get pushed back. Also it would be great if the center could go entire games without whiffing on blocks and be serviceable in pass protection without always having help from a guard.

2. A healthy linebacker or two who can tackle, get off blocks, and not get beat like a drum in coverage.

3. A #2 and #3 receiver that can get open against man coverage (Marvin Jones fills one of these).

4. A tight end who can catch passes in traffic and down the seam who can also stay healthy.

5. A DE or two that can spell Dunlap & MJ so that they don't have to play every down.

6. A QB that is mentally tough and inspires his teammates.

7. A coaching staff that prepares the team to show up every week and makes effective adjustments when things aren't working.
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2015, 03:49 PM)nathan3748 Wrote: I dont know if its me or what but I think Bengals need a better MLB Rey Maualuga hasnt really played that well sure his average but average doesnt win playoffs right now Bengals are pretty good at all other positions as far i can tell well maybe QB but Andy is still getting the team to the Playoffs he just needs more help on the defense side they might can use some help at WR just for Depth because  right now they only have 3 good wrs in Green Jones and Sanu and they need a good backupmtomstep in if one of them gets injured they drafted Mario but with im being under 6 feet he won't be able to get over most defenders to get the ball. But no matter how you look at it the Bengals are just missing the 1 key player that will open the door for them to win a few playoff games or even a Super Bowl.

That hurt my head reading that...ouch!!
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2015, 04:04 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I don't think it is QUITE that simple.

I'd look at it like this. They're still very high on Will Clarke, they drafted him knowing he'd be raw but he's had a year under his belt and should be ready to contribute more. I could say the same for Hunt, but who knows with him. They also drafted Hardison in the 4th but he was rated higher by many. I get where they're coming from in getting a constant pressure at UT, maybe Geno plays a few snaps less a game and holds up better. Then from DE, instead of taking a 2nd/3rd round pure edge rusher they're expecting their guys to progress. They could have taken a rushing SLB but who knows how much he'd actually play. They could send LBs and DBs a bit more depending on the matchup, but that's a different story.

What they really need is their current starters on the DL to get more pressure on the QB, and I really believe having some of these young legs behind them helps keep the starters fresh. Geno is ready to go, Dunlap had 8 sacks without a lot of help. MJ means a lot as he's still a threat to chase the QB and alter/block throws even if he doesn't get there. I don't see why MJ's return can't help Gilberry return to form (7 sacks instead of 1.5) now that he doesn't have to play much on run downs. The sacks took a big step back since Zim left, but the talent is still there and the younger ones are ready to go. I may be in the minority, but I see this group returning to form.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2015, 09:39 PM)bfine32 Wrote: [Image: Debartolo.jpg]

Who the heck is this guy? lol Eddie Debartolo the image URL says.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
I would say a dynamic Edge Rusher like a Von Miller type player would put us over the top.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote