Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals new excuse for not signing free agents
https://www.bengals.com/news/hobson-s-choice-floor-is-open

Some lowlights from Baghdad Geoff
Can't sign free agents because Kwon Alexander got hurt
Can't fire Duke because he drafted Dalton & Palmer.

This ownership is so freaking clueless.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
'Look, you’re right. Until you’re hoisting the Lombardi Trophy, everyone is subject to criticism and looking at how they can do their job better. But I would also suggest that it’s hard to argue this “front office structure” hasn’t yielded quality rosters with talent highly regarded around the league. Until recently it has, when injuries and some struggles with high picks have dogged them the past few seasons.'
Reply/Quote
See, I just figured that they would point to the Jets spending a boatload of money on free agents, and it having no winning impact on their season.

Le'Veon Bell
CJ Mosely
Jamison Crowder
Henry Anderson

Just to touch on the bigger money deals.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Also, it's the fans' fault for making the team change direction and start sucking really bad.

Pretty sure the fans didn't want them to hire a bunch of ******* assistants and sign zero meaningful free agents.

I'd take Marvin on a U.S. Supreme Court appointment contract for life over the yes-men and drinking buddies that they brought in to shoulder the burden of changing the team.

Half-measures as usual, including a massively moronic plan to build the team around a player that's over 30 and hasn't played a game since last November.

News flash: they don't want to win.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2019, 04:47 PM)J24 Wrote: Baghdad Geoff

Hilarious

That has to stick.

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2019, 05:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: 'Look, you’re right. Until you’re hoisting the Lombardi Trophy, everyone is subject to criticism and looking at how they can do their job better. But I would also suggest that it’s hard to argue this “front office structure” hasn’t yielded quality rosters with talent highly regarded around the league. Until recently it has, when injuries and some struggles with high picks have dogged them the past few seasons.'

That is exactly what the haters always said when trashing Marvin and Andy.  They were always bragging about how our front office had put together "the best roster in the league".
Reply/Quote
That article is worse than Model Model.

He defends front office. Also defends Taylor from Shula comparisons.
Reply/Quote
This guy literally has zero credibility he will never say anything bad about the team he’s the ultimate spin master turns everything into a positive. I like the line where he says “ they have the most drafted players in the league “ which means nothing if they all stink lol.
Reply/Quote
Q - Hi Geoff. Is it time for team ownership to admit that the front office structure isn't working? This team hasn't been successful for 3 decades. I include the division championships in that because the team never won a playoff game during that time.

When an organisation is unsuccessful, the buck must stop at the top. An unfortunate run of injuries to the top draft picks either early or late in their careers has not helped. However, all the successful franchises use quality pro bowl caliber free agents and intelligent trades to compliment the drafting strategy. This is something that is desperately lacking in the Bengals front office. As I diehard fan for over 3 decades, it is heartbreaking to see the same mistakes made over and over again.

A golden opportunity will more than likely present itself in the nest offseason when the Bengals will be odds on to secure a top 2 draft pick. Is it time to hire a quality general manager who can work without interference from ownership, attract pro bowl quality free agents, make intelligent trades, and maybe even bring a change of luck with a healthy first round draft pick? To finally be successful and win a playoff game, surely that is the way we must go. Andrew, Gold Coast, Australia

ANDREW: I appreciate the question, but I respectfully disagree with the premise. To say this team hasn’t been successful for three decades overlooks too many facts. Ask fans in Miami, Cleveland, Tennessee, Detroit, Washington, D.C., among others, if the Marvin Lewis Era was successful and you’ll get a much different answer.

Seven play-off appearances, five consecutive post-season trips, four division titles. Successful, yes. The ultimate? No.

Now, do you and everyone else want more? Of course. Absolutely. Need that post-season win. They know that. We know that. Everyone knows that. But I would argue the current structure has yielded quality teams and successful seasons. Yes, some of the post-season trips ended poorly: 2009, 2012 and 2013. And some were affected by injuries to quarterbacks like ’05 and ’15, Jeremy Hill notwithstanding. If you want to break down each of those seven play-off losses, I don’t think front office structure correlates. They had the talent to get there.

Look, you’re right. Until you’re hoisting the Lombardi Trophy, everyone is subject to criticism and looking at how they can do their job better. But I would also suggest that it’s hard to argue this “front office structure” hasn’t yielded quality rosters with talent highly regarded around the league. Until recently it has, when injuries and some struggles with high picks have dogged them the past few seasons.

Director of player personnel Duke Tobin and his scouts continue to expand their role with the new coaching staff and another year with Taylor’s coaches should smooth out some things. No question they whiffed on Texas A&M tackle Cedric Ogbuehi and Oregon tackle Jake Fisher in the first two rounds in 2015. But below the headlines and hidden behind the clicks is that for the past two Opening Days, this “front office structure,” has drafted the most players in the league.

Certainly this team needs more late-round draft picks like T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Marvin Jones, and Jonathan Fanene who spurred playoff runs. Yes, they need more franchise linchpins drafted in the fourth round like Geno Atkins and Domata Peko. So criticism is fair until those deep drafts return.

But same mistakes? The two franchise quarterbacks they’ve drafted in the last 17 years accounted for five Pro Bowls and seven playoff berths. Same mistakes? Yes they whiffed on Ogbuehi and Fisher in 2015, but they also hit on tackles Levi Jones (Pro Bowl alternate), Andrew Whitworth (Pro Bowl) and Andre Smith (right tackle on six play-off teams).

Be careful for what you wish. The only thing in this league that’s harder than chasing a quarterback is chasing a front office that can find one.

I give you the team up the road. During the Carson-Dalton stretch the Browns drafted seven quarterbacks in the third round and none panned out: (Charlie Frye 2005 third round, Brady Quinn 2007 first round, Colt McCoy 2010 third round, Brandon Weeden 2012 first round, Johnny Manziel 2014 first round, Cody Kessler 2016 third round), Deshone Kizer 2017 third round).

I understand the frustration. Join the club. But in my opinion, lack of talent hasn’t been the biggest problem since 2015. It’s been a problem in some areas, of course. But to me, the biggest problem has been finding schemes to fit the talent and that takes us back to where we began and the overhaul that started the day after last season.

https://www.bengals.com/news/hobson-s-choice-floor-is-open
Reply/Quote
I sent in a question asking how far this organization was set back by letting Whitworth and Zeitler walk; its been two months and no response.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2019, 05:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: See, I just figured that they would point to the Jets spending a boatload of money on free agents, and it having no winning impact on their season.

Le'Veon Bell
CJ Mosely
Jamison Crowder
Henry Anderson

Just to touch on the bigger money deals.

Besides the free agent spending, I would say the Jets have a nice parallel to the Bengals this season. Each teams biggest weakness is the o-line. The Jets looked good before the season, but injuries plagued them. They coaxed Kalil out of retirement to have him go on IR. Guard Brian Winters is on IR. Guard Osemele was let go for having "unauthorized" surgery to repair a torn labrum the team felt he could play through. Add in a couple games with a 3rd string QB, LB Mosley being hurt, WR Enunwa, LB Williamson, LB Cashman, and WR Bellamy are on IR and the Jets have still won 3 games more than our Bengals
Reply/Quote
They deserve to be exactly where they are.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2019, 10:06 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: I sent in a question asking how far this organization was set back by letting Whitworth and Zeitler walk; its been two months and no response.

Really letting both Sanu and Marvin Jones walk, and the loss of position coaches and coordinators after the 2015 season hurt worse... The decline was noticable in 2016, and Whitworth and Zeitler were still here. Whitwortth's replacement was here. In hindsight, those guys sucked, but there was nobody here to replace Marvin Jones or Sanu. Those guys are still producing.

I know we like to pretend the Bengals never had nice things, but we actually had a very solid coaching staff and rosters in the the years leading up to 2016.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
The smart teams have gave up the build through the draft theme since the cba limited practice time. Patriots, Saints, Vikings, Rams, Eagles, Cowboys, etc have all used free agency and trades to get proven players and decreased their value on draft picks. As per the last 3 decades we're behind the times and following the old wrong model model
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2019, 05:56 PM)lone bengal Wrote: This guy literally has zero credibility he will never say anything bad about the team he’s the ultimate spin master turns everything into a positive. I like the line where he says “ they have the most drafted players in the league “ which means nothing if they all stink lol.

He’s definitely a boot licker for Mike. Fans aren’t buying this BS.
Reply/Quote
FA is really harrrrrd.
We're a teensy tiny market, it's just not FAY-er.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2019, 02:25 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: He’s definitely a boot licker for Mike. Fans aren’t buying this BS.

Oh yeah.

We definitely get the parroting of Mike Brown's quote "the fans are too judgmental of us" vibe.

Geoff is Mikey's dildo of choice.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2019, 05:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That is exactly what the haters always said when trashing Marvin and Andy.  They were always bragging about how our front office had put together "the best roster in the league".

The Bengals had some of the most talented rosters in the NFL from 2012 through 2016. They also had a ton of talent in that 2005 to 2009/10 era as well.

2016, NFL.com ranked them 7th http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000664439/article/seahawks-steelers-panthers-headline-10-most-talented-teams

2014: 9th http://thecomeback.com/thisgivensunday/2014-articles/ranking-the-2014-nfl-rosters.html

The 2015 roster was outstanding. 2013 was excellent as well. And the 2012 roster was very very good.

What? You think Marvin and Dalton were turning  water into wine or something? Please. Marvin wasn't up to the talent if his players and Dalton was (generally) carried by them. Without ultra elite talent around him, Dalton has been unable to consistantly win over the last 2 seasons.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2019, 08:34 AM)PDub80 Wrote: The Bengals had some of the most talented rosters in the NFL from 2012 through 2016. They also had a ton of talent in that 2005 to 2009/10 era as well.

2016, NFL.com ranked them 7th http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000664439/article/seahawks-steelers-panthers-headline-10-most-talented-teams

2014: 9th http://thecomeback.com/thisgivensunday/2014-articles/ranking-the-2014-nfl-rosters.html

The 2015 roster was outstanding. 2013 was excellent as well. And the 2012 roster was very very good.

What? You think Marvin and Dalton were turning  water into wine or something? Please. Marvin wasn't up to the talent if his players and Dalton was (generally) carried by them. Without ultra elite talent around him, Dalton has been unable to consistantly win over the last 2 seasons.

I think we had more talented coordinators and assistants too who could develop players.

This year, players who previously were decent are now bad.
Reply/Quote
Geoff is and always will be the front office's mouth piece. He's on their payroll and he'll staunchly defend them.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote