Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals offered Marvin Jones same amount as Detroit -(he left anyways)
I wish Marvin Jones all the luck in the world. I completely respect him for going to a place where he has a chance to be the #1 WR option.
Reply/Quote
Im glad. Hes not worth 8 mill a year.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 11:08 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Im glad. Hes not worth 8 mill a year.

Are you sure?  We've never seen him as the primary, or even really the secondary option.  I'll tell you this much, I'll be aiming for Marvin Jones as my 2nd or 3rd fantasy receiver, next season.  He will be a stat *****, for sure, on the Lions pass happy offense.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 11:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Are you sure?  We've never seen him as the primary, or even really the secondary option.  I'll tell you this much, I'll be aiming for Marvin Jones as my 2nd or 3rd fantasy receiver, next season.  He will be a stat *****, for sure, on the Lions pass happy offense.

.....said everyone last year as they were reaching hard for Golden Tate after his amazing 2014 season. Ninja

Good luck Sunset, lol.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 09:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The Bengals are known for offering less guaranteed money than most teams. Guaranteed money is why JJo chose the Texans. Hobs said the money was "similar" back then too, but some players really prefer more guaranteed.

I thought it was the free soft drinks.....
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 09:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: While I agree that Marvin will get more looks in Detroit - simply because they pass more than any other team - I doubt the money was exactly the same.

The Bengals are known for offering less guaranteed money than most teams. Guaranteed money is why JJo chose the Texans. Hobs said the money was "similar" back then too, but some players really prefer more guaranteed.

Either way, I'm glad we didn't sign Marvin Jones for 8 million per. That's ridiculous.

Good point.

Although, I did read a very interesting price awhile back, that basically went into a lot of detail about how the Bengals are almost on island as far contracts honored through completion, or % of contract money seen by player.  It said that agents definitely consider this when negotiating here.

But... even that doesn't protect against a career ender.  So I can see why they jump ship. 
Reply/Quote
Two things:

1.) I'm kinda disappointing we offered that much. With Eifert due for a new deal, I'm not sure what the rationale. Who wants 35 million dollars locked up into WR1, WR2, and TE1? You're talking about damn near 1/4 of your total cap space. 3 out of 53, taking up 25% of the cap. I'm sorry, but a WR who has never hit 900 yards aint worth 8 mil per.

2.) Not a great fit for him if he wants to be the guy. Golden Tate was seeing more looks than a healthy Calvin Johnson. Older or not, that says something. And it happened in 2014 as well. At best, they're in WR1A and WR1B setup. Not to mentioned they have Eric Ebron coming into his own.

If it were me, and I was Jones, I would have went somewhere with a better chance of winning and/or a better situation.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 12:45 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Two things:

1.) I'm kinda disappointing we offered that much.  With Eifert due for a new deal, I'm not sure what the rationale.  Who wants 35 million dollars locked up into WR1, WR2, and TE1?   You're talking about damn near 1/4 of your total cap space.  3 out of 53, taking up 25% of the cap.  I'm sorry, but a WR who has never hit 900 yards aint worth 8 mil per.  

2.) Not a great fit for him if he wants to be the guy.  Golden Tate was seeing more looks than a healthy Calvin Johnson.  Older or not, that says something.  And it happened in 2014 as well.  At best, they're in WR1A and WR1B setup.  Not to mentioned they have Eric Ebron coming into his own.

If it were me, and I was Jones, I would have went somewhere with a better chance of winning and/or a better situation.

Eifert still has two more years on his contract. That's not even counting the possible use of a franchise tag.

He isn't due for a new deal at all, he's only 60% through his current one.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 12:56 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Eifert still has two more years on his contract. That's not even counting the possible use of a franchise tag.

He isn't due for a new deal at all, he's only 60% through his current one.

Well, shit.  I keep forgetting the new CBA allows for 5 deals years on first rounders.  (Seems like a really shitty deal for rookies.  Way lower pay now and they're locked in for a huge chuck of their career)

But still, you know us.  We probably should start hoarding as much money as we can for that *****.  We can all that the TE Fund. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
This seems believable. I'm sure Mike Brown originally wanted his lackey to write that Marvin Jones was offered $20 million a year to stay a Bengal and Marvin replied "No way, I'm outta here! Also, Bengals fans totally have small penises!" so we should all be glad he's gone.

Good riddance!
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 01:32 AM)Nately120 Wrote: This seems believable.  I'm sure Mike Brown originally wanted his lackey to write that Marvin Jones was offered $20 million a year to stay a Bengal and Marvin replied "No way, I'm outta here!  Also, Bengals fans totally have small penises!" so we should all be glad he's gone.

Good riddance!

Small penises??  I can't speak for all Bengal fans, but my wedding ring is a size 15.  That's right, and I can assure you that everything is just fine.. Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 01:32 AM)Nately120 Wrote: This seems believable.  I'm sure Mike Brown originally wanted his lackey to write that Marvin Jones was offered $20 million a year to stay a Bengal and Marvin replied "No way, I'm outta here!  Also, Bengals fans totally have small penises!" so we should all be glad he's gone.

Good riddance!

Well this is embarrassing...how did he know this about me...err.....us!

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 01:40 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Small penises??  I can't speak for all Bengal fans, but my wedding ring is a size 15.  That's right, and I can assure you that everything is just fine.. Ninja

It's also reported that Marvin added "Oh yea, and have your heard of that Bengals fan who wears his size 15 wedding ring on his penis?  Yeah, I don't want to play for his team, not for eleventy-billion dollars!"  At this point Marvin began waving the terrible towel and praising Hitler.

So, still think we should have signed him? !?!?!?!
Reply/Quote
I wish MLJ good luck. Hard to fault the guy for wanting to be a #1. I respect that more than if he left simply for more money. At least he left the division.
Reply/Quote
The more I hear about Marvin Jones, the more I dont like the guy.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 10:01 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The more I hear about Marvin Jones, the more I dont like the guy.

I understand wanting to be one of two guys rather than 1 of 4.   Every good player wants the ball, and I'm not sure they utilized him in a way to make him feel significant enough here.

I'm pleased with the fact the Bengals offered him significant money.   I'm not sure there is a point to niggling what specifically they did not offer and doubt seriously there is any dishonesty more than spinning the team's effort.

I think Jones will learn what TJ found out in Seattle, and I'm very disappointed we could not have eliminated that need going into the draft.  The idea of compensating with the receiver from Oakland seems patently ridiculous.  We'll have to spend a 1st or 2nd now - and probably another pick to reload the position.

This was the year we might have put the team over the top in terms of personnel, and I will be surprised if we can do that now.   Just keeps us kind of at status quo or less for 2016.   Could be wrong, but the odds were favorable.

It will be hard to get the center, DT, coverage backer and decent edge rusher we needed to complete this team.

I will be eager to see how we end up drafting.   But at this point I certainly don't blame the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 09:44 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I keep seeing that he was the "third option".  Jones had 13 more receptions and over 200 more yards than Eifert in 2015.  Eifert had a lot of touchdowns, but he only had 615 yards for the season.  He barely has over 1000 for his entire career to this point... I'm not trying to cut on him, but it's not like he puts up Gronk numbers to this point.

Eifert also missed a few games this years as well, so it's not a completely accurate comparison.

Needless to say, it is obvious that Jones is the 3rd option on this team.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 10:01 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The more I hear about Marvin Jones, the more I dont like the guy.

Couldn't disagree more.  He wants to go out and get a chance to be the #1 WR on the team and get as much money as possible for doing it.

He was a great teammate here and he was a great player for a 5th rounder.

That being said, I'm GLAD the Bengals didn't pay him $8 million per year.  That's way too much for a guy with his production.
Reply/Quote
I believe Hones that it's not just about money now. It may also be about money later. If he proves himself as a #1 in Detroit, his next contract's going to be way bigger than what he's get as AJ Green's #2. Chasing glory in this case may ultimately be about making more money later.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 12:19 PM)3wt Wrote: I understand wanting to be one of two guys rather than 1 of 4.   Every good player wants the ball, and I'm not sure they utilized him in a way to make him feel significant enough here.

I keep reading this. People must not keep up on the Lions much. Even without Calvin, the Lions have Golden Tate (90 catches), the up and coming Eric Ebron (57 catches) and RB Theo Riddick (80 catches).

That's really not that much different than AJ Green, Eifert and Gio. The Lions do chuck it around more than anyone, but MLJ is going to be competing for targets for sure.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote